Home Charging- using location

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi

When I charge at home using the ID3 location software in the car - from Midnight until 05:00 (cheap rate BG) charging from say 60 % to 80 % I only manage to get around 71 % charge. (3rd or 4th charge now)

I have a pod point wall box - and they say everything is Ok - I got up at midnight the other night and switched it on manually and I managed
to get 81% in 1hr 40 mins.

Question does anyone else have any problems with using delayed charging ?

New software installed in January V .783 I think.
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926

pbaptista

Post by pbaptista »

Ph66 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 am Hi

When I charge at home using the ID3 location software in the car - from Midnight until 05:00 (cheap rate BG) charging from say 60 % to 80 % I only manage to get around 71 % charge. (3rd or 4th charge now)

I have a pod point wall box - and they say everything is Ok - I got up at midnight the other night and switched it on manually and I managed

I have de same problem.

I set up:
-that the car could only charge between 3 pm and 9 pm
-that the maximum load value was 70%
-which should be reached at 20:00 hours

The supposed was to have 70% at 20:00. What happened was having 67% at 20:00 and only reaching 70% at 20:15, with the car finishing the load.
I could see that he started charging at 18:16, despite being on since 16:00, not taking advantage of all the available power of the charger. (20A on 29A), when it was 19:58, it started charging at the maximum available power (29A on 29A) but it was already insufficient to finish the charge within the desired time.
ID.3 Tour - Glacier White 0783, from 12 February 2021, upgrade to 0792 in 15 April 2021
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Ph66 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 am Hi

Did you set preferred times, a departure time, or both?

I tried ONLY with a departure time, aiming to get 80% by 01:30, and experienced what you’re describing, but have since read that I would have been better using preferred times.
pbaptista

Post by pbaptista »

If I define only the time interval in which I can load and the maximum % works well, it starts to load as soon as the hour allows and ends when it reaches the desired %.
What does not work well is to define the time at which we want it to finish loading with a defined percentage. It is evident that in this version (0783) the algorithm is not well designed.
ID.3 Tour - Glacier White 0783, from 12 February 2021, upgrade to 0792 in 15 April 2021
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Scott - to answer your question about my delayed charging options - I left the departure times empty.

I only set the preferred start and finish times .
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
LA_eire

Post by LA_eire »

Hi,

Wondered if any one experienced the following and if there is advice to rectify.

Process
1. Set scheduled charge by location and between specified hours.
2. Switch off and lock car
3. Charging light on car goes white and then flashes green and after a few minutes switches off all together
4. At scheduled time the car starts charging as the light goes green and pulses and the EVbox (charging unit on wall) activates
5. Few seconds later the car charging light goes red and the EVBox switches off
6. Get message in the car that i should use another charging point

The charging point works fine if you do not have scheduling on, and just plug in, so not a power issue.

Question, does schedule charging work with any wallbox, especially 'dumb' units?

All advice welcome.

Cheers
LA
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I've got this one:
www.zencar.net/product/ev-charger-level ... lioCats=11
Always used recommended charging times from 23 to 7 (cheap time).
Departure time set to 8.00 and reduced power (to save battery) charging to 80%, air conditioning on.
It usually charges to ca. 75 - 80 % on 7 and then, about 10 min before departure time switches on air con and then charges also to 80 - 81%.
On weekends we have cheap time all day around and then I tick another departure time to 9 and tick off the preferred times.
Wish the preferred times could be under departure times section.
Have tried to move the charging begin (charger has an option to postpone 3-6-9 h), but then car couldn't start charging (without departure times).
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Is that not a Ohme home charger?
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Part success with charging by location. I set the departure time as 04:30 and preferred times as 0:05 till 04:30.

It worked , part success as it charged up to 100%.

I thought everything was set at 80%. Oh well another week before I can try again. Very few miles in lockdown.
I will take photos of all the settings next time !
digital

Post by digital »

A simple question: why is the charge point's location relevant?
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
mc1611

Post by mc1611 »

I just finished a 45 min Zoom with the dealer. They called VW before my call to get updates and basically the software is not ready, there is no indication when it will be ready!
- charging control via the app not ready
- locate your vehicle not ready or not active for UK (for unknown reasons, VW was trying to claim it has to do with UK law not allowing it hahaha, all other cars have it)
- my app was slight different from the dealer app we could not figure out why
- the online manual you can access in the car gives different indications from what is actually on the car menu screens (trying to set the low beam , just a gimmick but we could not follow the manuals guidance as menu in the car are different). Are there any other discrepancies between the car and the manual?
Looks like VW rushed to get the car on the market. If I buy a Golf from 10 years ago I know what to expect, but we paid for all these toys and none is available. Will it be ready by the time my lease expires?
This is my first VW and very likely the last.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

digital wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:54 pm A simple question: why is the charge point's location relevant?
They think, you have many homes, where to charge. ;)
At first I couldn't find out, how and where to set the departure time.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

digital wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:54 pm A simple question: why is the charge point's location relevant?
With the last software update 783 , it gave us the ability to set up delayed charging using Location setting ..... (Under vechicle Menu ) And cheap electricity during the night.

No one said it's not available in the UK.

Re the Wecharge app - you can only seem to charge immediately.
digital

Post by digital »

Ph66 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:12 pm
With the last software update 783 , it gave us the ability to set up delayed charging using Location setting ..... (Under vechicle Menu ) And cheap electricity during the night.

You seem to have misunderstood my question. It was a very basic 'why does the car need to know its location for charging purposes?'.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

digital wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:27 pm

You seem to have misunderstood my question. It was a very basic 'why does the car need to know its location for charging purposes?'.
I assume that if you were to have the same commute on a number of days and were lucky enough to have access to a charger at both ends you would set up a charging profile at each so you could have the car charged ready for your home journey.
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

digital wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:27 pm

I understand your comment now - I think someone has already mentioned earlier on, it might work using multiple locations say home & work , or Home 1 and home 2 or home 3.
Otherwise it is a little bit over complicated .
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi

Tried again to charge the car last night using delayed timing by location. All good for to start with - flashing green light on the car charging flap, expected it to come on at 5 past midnight . At 22:30 I noticed the smart meter was showing red - the car had decided to start charging !!! I let it carry on and it stopped at 81%.

I did everything the same as last time - departure time set, preferred charging time 0:05 to 04:30 and 80% .

Pod point say its the car software that says when to charge - is this another fault with the software ?? Or is it that it does not recognise the HOME location , but why flash green - when starting the process.

Anyone else solved this problem ?

The on-line manual is not very useful .

I don't fancy having to manually switch charging on at midnight every time .

783 software .
Deleted User 192

Ph66 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 am

This is why I’ve switched my tariff to have off-peak starting at 20:30, just plug in at that time and leave it...

Octopus Go Faster 👍
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Ph66 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 am Hi

Tried again to charge the car last night using delayed timing by location. All good for to start with - flashing green light on the car charging flap, expected it to come on at 5 past midnight . At 22:30 I noticed the smart meter was showing red - the car had decided to start charging !!! I let it carry on and it stopped at 81%.

I did everything the same as last time - departure time set, preferred charging time 0:05 to 04:30 and 80% .

Pod point say its the car software that says when to charge - is this another fault with the software ?? Or is it that it does not recognise the HOME location , but why flash green - when starting the process.

Anyone else solved this problem ?

The on-line manual is not very useful .

783 software .
I think the issue here is in understanding what each ‘feature’ is doing.....

You’ve set a departure time with a given percentage - which tells the car that you need 80% by that time.

You’ve then set PREFERRED charging times. Note that it’s preferred, not scheduled.

So the car is effectively then doing a calculation based on current charge as to whether it thinks it can get to 80% by your departure time, taking into account your PREFERRED charging time. If it thinks that it won’t get to 80% by then, then it will start charging earlier (I’ve no idea what charge rates etc. It’s using for that calculation). It will use the preferred charging times as a ‘prioritisation’ but isn’t tied to them. Imagine how people would complain if it worked the other way around.....I.e. “I set the car at x% for departure because I had a long journey to do, woke up and it was only at half that as it had only charged during the preferred times......couldn’t get to where I wanted to go” etc..... ;-)

To set a SCHEDULED charge I’m using the scheduler on my charger. It switches on and off whenever I’ve programmed the charge for (in line with agile pricing) and charges the car. I have 80% set as max charge on the car (permanently, not linked to a location) - and so between them they get it right. If I want the car pre-heated before departure, then I set a departure time on the car & ensure a schedule slot is set on the charger for the 30mins or so leading up to departure - again, they work together then to ensure the car is warm and kept to 80% max charge. The only downside of this route is I may not actually get to 80% charge (depends how many slots I’ve scheduled and what starting soc is) - so I wouldn’t use this if I had a long journey to do - but it’s great for topping the car up for shorter commutes my wife does etc. on cheap electric.

So really depends on individual use case - and different functions would be used/combination of functions depending on the desired outcome.

Hope this helps?
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Deleted User 192

Shame it doesn’t work.

I had no preferred times configured, but did set a departure time and %, the car got nowhere near to the % I set. If I had not set a departure time at all it would have naturally reached the set % with 50 minutes to spare. So it was technically possible to reach the %, but the car only trickle charged at the same rate from when I plugged it in through to the departure time.

My charge point doesn’t support it’s own native timed charging yet.

So now I have switched my tariff, I can just plug in at the start of the off-peak rate and it will hit 80% naturally before the end of my off-peak period.