Home Charging- using location

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:57 pm Shame it doesn’t work.

I had no preferred times configured, but did set a departure time and %, the car got nowhere near to the % I set. If I had not set a departure time at all it would have naturally reached the set % with 50 minutes to spare. So it was technically possible to reach the %, but the car only trickle charged at the same rate from when I plugged it in through to the departure time.

My charge point doesn’t support it’s own native timed charging yet.

So now I have switched my tariff, I can just plug in at the start of the off-peak rate and it will hit 80% naturally before the end of my off-peak period.
Oh, that's weird! I've used departure time on it's own for the past 2 or 3 months mainly until we switched to Agile. The behaviour I see with just departure time & 80% set is that it just pulls 7kw flat until it hits 80% (assuming there's enough time between plug in and departure time). Then ahead of departure time it starts pre-warming - and, assuming the charge had switched off at some point prior to then (which it normally has for us as we'd have plugged in the night before), then it will re-start pulling a charge from the charger to ensure that the battery stays at 80%.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366

RobGDee

Post by RobGDee »

I've got a ticket open with both VW and the ID App help desk RE timed charging. I've tried it every which way and although it sticks to the preferred times and also uses the plug for preheating etc reliably. There's one major flaw in that with location-based timed charging enabled with or without a departure time set it never charges at more than 2KW. As soon as I delete the location, bang! it charges at 7.4KW every time. I'm really hoping it's an OTA fix and not another dealer visit. I switch to Octopus this friday. BTW, 2.1 has fixed all other teething issues and I'm loving the car :)
ID3 1st UK.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

RobGDee wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:40 pm I've got a ticket open with both VW and the ID App help desk RE timed charging. I've tried it every which way and although it sticks to the preferred times and also uses the plug for preheating etc reliably. There's one major flaw in that with location-based timed charging enabled with or without a departure time set it never charges at more than 2KW. As soon as I delete the location, bang! it charges at 7.4KW every time. I'm really hoping it's an OTA fix and not another dealer visit. I switch to Octopus this friday. BTW, 2.1 has fixed all other teething issues and I'm loving the car :)
How can you do location-based charging without departure time?
I just untick all departure time to switch off location, not deleting it.
My problem is, that when any location-based departure time is checked, I can't switch on charging in app.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
M100

Post by M100 »

Where do I find the Preferred charging period settings ? I can only see the Location delayed charging system which is idiosyncratic but not bad. Most of the time.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

M100 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:48 pm Where do I find the Preferred charging period settings ? I can only see the Location delayed charging system which is idiosyncratic but not bad. Most of the time.

They are shown “within” the settings for a location.
M100

Post by M100 »

Thanks. Found it! Let’s see whether it is more reliable at charging during my Octopus Go cheap period.
sandyr

Post by sandyr »

Hi, I've also been having problems with timed charging, with a continuing process of trial and error over 2 months since buying the early July, in constant correspondence with the WeConnect helpdesk. I have an ID.3 Tour with Podpoint 7kW wallbox and Octopus electricity tariff (cheap power 0030-0430). Conclusions are:
- The car charges perfectly if no timings are set.
- If no timings are set on the car but I set a charge start/stop time on the wallbox, that also works, but of course I lose the car's ability to charge up to a specified level and to switch heating etc on for departure. So I wanted to persist with the car's settings.
- Setting just a departure time, the car does charge but falls short of the targetted level - sometimes by a few %, sometimes more.
- Setting just preferred times, the car does charge during the designated period but very slowly - falls far short of expected 7kW. Then I found that you're not supposed to set it up this way - you're meant to use preferred times and departure times together).
- So I tried that, and it again fell far short - reaching just 63% instead of 80% target, and with quite a lot of the charge falling outside the preferred period.
- At that point I feel like I've tried everything, and I'm now trying to escalate the problem with VW.

BTW the poor quality of instructions is a serious time-waster in fixing this - it took weeks to get the info I needed. The online manual is very superficial - it has blue text where you might think you click through from summary to more detail but no, it's just the summary. And nothing at all on charging - bizarre. The helpdesk several times sent me very poorly worded text about charging, and couldn't grasp that it wasn't totally obvious that you set a departure time as the first priority, then a preferred time - I'm not a daily commuter with a regular schedule so for me it is more obvious just to use the preferred time. And the car itself, once you've found the well-hidden departure time, and even-better-hidden preferred time, gives no clue that you need to set them both. Altogether there's a big sense that no-one thought this through!

Any similar experiences or solutions?!?
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We use pod point timed charge and manually heat the car in winter by switching all heating on using the app when we get up !
Not perfect and hopefully sorted soon but it works !!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
M100

Post by M100 »

I have a pod point without a timer. I have now tried departure time at 4.30 and preferred time from 0.30-4.30 and it seems to have worked! Got to 80% fine.
steve

Post by steve »

Last evening I set the preferred time to be 0030 to 0430 and departure time 0700, stop at 80%. It charged from 0300 to 0430 and again 0615 to 0645 All charging at 7.4kw.

So if it had started a little earlier it could have done it all within the preferred window. I suppose it was seeing that departure time, and if I'd set it to heat the car for 7 it might have made some sense. but I didn't, so its only significance was as a deadline. Anyway, why blast away at full power just to provide heating? Perhaps that warms the battery?

Verdict; pretty good, assuming it was wanting to warm the battery for the departure time
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

My experience is very similar: i use the VW charger/Elli - there is no timer function as far as I know.
Whichever location setting you use "preferred time" or "departure time" or both the result is that the id.3 does not charge with the full 7.4 kwh and usually ends up charging short of the 80% target.

Here is the way I charge at the moment as I am also on the 5p/kwh octopus tariff:
1. Ensure any "preferred time" or " departure time" is unticked
2. Connect the charger with the car and when it starts charging press stop on the infotainment system but leave the charger plugged in.
3. The car goes to sleep after a few minutes.
4. At around 0.30hrs I use the We connect id up to start charging. It takes a minute or so to wake up properly but then charges at full speed to the set 80%.

I know this is still annoying but works best for me if need to make the most of the cheap tariff.

Split £100 with every friend who signs up with this link

share.octopus.energy/olive-mule-207
steve

Post by steve »

Spoke too soon. Unchanged set up, but the car charged from 0230 to 0500. Makes no sense to me.
steve wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 am Last evening I set the preferred time to be 0030 to 0430 and departure time 0700, stop at 80%. It charged from 0300 to 0430 and again 0615 to 0645 All charging at 7.4kw.

So if it had started a little earlier it could have done it all within the preferred window. I suppose it was seeing that departure time, and if I'd set it to heat the car for 7 it might have made some sense. but I didn't, so its only significance was as a deadline. Anyway, why blast away at full power just to provide heating? Perhaps that warms the battery?

Verdict; pretty good, assuming it was wanting to warm the battery for the departure time
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

steve wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:47 pm Spoke too soon. Unchanged set up, but the car charged from 0230 to 0500. Makes no sense to me.
steve wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 am Last evening I set the preferred time to be 0030 to 0430 and departure time 0700, stop at 80%. It charged from 0300 to 0430 and again 0615 to 0645 All charging at 7.4kw.

You’ve discovered the reason that many owners schedule charging with their charger and not through the car.

VW need to get this sorted.
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

Ph66 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:47 pm Part success with charging by location. I set the departure time as 04:30 and preferred times as 0:05 till 04:30.

It worked , part success as it charged up to 100%.

I thought everything was set at 80%. Oh well another week before I can try again. Very few miles in lockdown.
I will take photos of all the settings next time !
Had this too. We Connect app was showing 80% when I checked it and the car had been configured for "Charge to 80%" but I spotted that the app was reporting 94% charged. Went out to car and sure enough it had "set itself" to "Charge to 100%".

I actually want it to charge to 100% on Sunday morning - fingers crossed!