Fitting tow bar and cycle rack

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

Hi, I’m new here, just got family id3 today! I’m having difficulty with the tow bar, I’ve removed it and now can’t get the key out, is that right? I can’t get the manual as the car isn’t in the system yet. Also the bike rack, trying to fit to the tow bar- on the video the handle just glides down and locks, mine seems to be under loads of pressure and I’m worried about forcing it and snapping something, has anyone else found this? Otherwise, just wow, I love it.
White Family Pro Performance, tow bar and bike rack

SiDai

Post by SiDai »

Hi Cassie

I'm new here too and also spec'ed the car to have the tow bar for bike rack (still have to buy the rack though - any suggestions?). I haven't tried it out the tow yet, but will tomorrow and will let you know if I encounter any similar problems with the key.

Best wishes

Simon
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Most detachable towbars will not let you remove the key once the bar has been removed from the car. I assume the VW one is the same. I would recommend looking at www.roofbox.co.uk. Their service is excellent and they are very helpful answering questions, etc. I went for the 4 bike Atera Strada for my Q7 and it is awesome. A 2, 3 or 4 bike version is available. The advantage they have is that they slide down allowing you to open the boot with the bikes still on.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You can access the manual in the car, press Help in the infotainment system.

Otherwise, enter the reg L3 VWW in the online tool to access the manual for a 1st Edition.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Bump on this thread. Whilst idly looking online - there are now two different non Vw manufacturers making towbar and towbar wiring kits for the id3.

Google and EBay have examples. Seem legit. Weighing in at c.£550 for the hardware and the wiring pack.