Fitting Rear Speakers to a First Edition

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Post Reply
RobM
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Post by RobM » Mon May 10, 2021 9:54 am

Hi,

Does anybody have any information about how to fit rear speakers to a First Edition? That model comes only with front door-bin speakers and a central speaker on the dash. I'm happy to get VW do do this, if the cost is reasonable. I've called my dealer, but they're having problems finding out.

I've heard that it's only possible with a full upgrade of the entertainment system, but does anybody have definitive information?

Thanks in advance,

RobM

HeidiFlowerpt Driver
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver » Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am

I've heard that there's no provision in the wiring loom for rear speakers, so it won't be a straightforward job.

I rarely carry passengers in the back of mine, so it doesn't bother me that they're absent. In my view the sound quality in the front seats is pretty good, though.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

G43FAN
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am
Location: N. Wales

Post by G43FAN » Mon May 10, 2021 11:41 am

There has been a lot of discussion around this elsewhere on the EV Forums, it's not good news though

https://www.speakev.com/threads/id-3-re ... on.156653/
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Software 2.3 finally installed 13/12/2021
Zappi Charger with Solar Edge 6kW PV array.
Android Connect ID App Ver: 2.2.12

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Same applies to all other specs that have 4.1 speakers rather than 6.1 speakers, not only the 1st Edition.

RobM
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Post by RobM » Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 am

Thanks for the links. I'd found the Kufatech product on-line myself, but anticipated the potential problems with re-coding the central control unit. So I'm happy to buy (or wait for) the official VW retro-fit kit if and when it becomes available. My dealer is being very slow to dig up the information for me, hence the post.

I'll keep on waiting. My kids would appreciate a little more volume in the rear - and for the time being, I'll have to take that on the chin (or on my own ears..).

Thanks,

Tarabi419
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Post by Tarabi419 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Hi
I have same problem
My ID3 first edition doest have rear door speaker
How can I understand the rear door have wired for speaker before opening the panel door?
Is there any way to check ?
all first edition doesnt have wire ?!!?!
So i dont need to even open my panel door
?!

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Tarabi419 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:17 pm
Hi
I have same problem
My ID3 first edition doest have rear door speaker
How can I understand the rear door have wired for speaker before opening the panel door?
Is there any way to check ?
all first edition doesnt have wire ?!!?!
So i dont need to even open my panel door
?!

If your car doesn’t have rear speakers it definitely won’t have any wiring in the doors, whether it’s a 1st Edition or any other spec.

Tarabi419
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Post by Tarabi419 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Ok
Is it possible to fix wiring?
Possible to get help from volkswagen repair shops?!

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:20 pm

Tarabi419 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:09 pm
Ok
Is it possible to fix wiring?
Possible to get help from volkswagen repair shops?!

Follow the link posted further up this discussion.

Tarabi419
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Post by Tarabi419 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:42 pm

So there is no why to have rear door speaker 😞?!

smyth1492
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 15, 2022 5:47 am

Post by smyth1492 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 pm

Has anyone tried contacting VW UK about those on Social Media or directly to ask why they feel that rear speakers are no longer necessary on a car that has seats in the rear?

I've just bought a MY 22 'Family' edition to discover no rear speakers, children were not amused and driver and front seat passenger have to have music louder for those in the back to hear.

Big277wave
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 am

Post by Big277wave » Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm

There's a long thread on the ID.3 page of Speak EV about fitting rear speakers to an ID.3. It's not a straight forward process as there are no cables in the wiring loom.

My children have never complained about the lack of speakers in the back as they are usually playing with their phones / tablets and listening to their own stuff.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 10 on 15/6/22, build wk40

User avatar
Utumno
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Utumno » Mon May 16, 2022 12:48 pm

smyth1492 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 pm
Has anyone tried contacting VW UK about those on Social Media or directly to ask why they feel that rear speakers are no longer necessary on a car that has seats in the rear?

I've just bought a MY 22 'Family' edition to discover no rear speakers, children were not amused and driver and front seat passenger have to have music louder for those in the back to hear.

I predict crickets will be the only answer to your question.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

daern
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:05 pm

Post by daern » Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm

Big277wave wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm
There's a long thread on the ID.3 page of Speak EV about fitting rear speakers to an ID.3. It's not a straight forward process as there are no cables in the wiring loom.

My children have never complained about the lack of speakers in the back as they are usually playing with their phones / tablets and listening to their own stuff.
I'll be honest, I assumed it was a mistake in the spec sheet and had to double check with the dealer to be sure that, yes, even the Family model doesn't come with speakers in the back. Quite insane really.

In the end, speakers or otherwise, lead-times led us to buy elsewhere, but we'd have probably had to up-spec the nav system in order to get the extra speakers in the back.
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb

smyth1492
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 15, 2022 5:47 am

Post by smyth1492 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:22 am

Big277wave wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm
There's a long thread on the ID.3 page of Speak EV about fitting rear speakers to an ID.3. It's not a straight forward process as there are no cables in the wiring loom.

My children have never complained about the lack of speakers in the back as they are usually playing with their phones / tablets and listening to their own stuff.
Ours do sometimes but we try to get them introduce us to some other music and listen together. Oh well, it is what it is.

For those of you still waiting for your car, it is well worth the wait, I am suitably impressed - it knocks the socks off our other car which has been our best to date a 2015 Honda CR-V. Just need to keep the Honda for those very long jaunts where we don't want to rely on the French or UK charging infrastructure.

Post Reply