How to fit a Dash Cam to an ID3

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

I've just taken receipt of an ID3 Pro Life but can't obviously see where to pick the power supply up for my Nextbase Dash Cam. Either a 12V "Cigarette Lighter" or a standard USB fitting would be fine but I can only see the 12V fitting in the Boot area but no USB Ports in the passenger area. Have I missed them in my excitement or do you have to use ways to fit a Dash Cam that i know little about ?

Thanks, Vic Thompson

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Search the forums - a couple of threads

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=388&hilit=dashcam

https://www.speakev.com/threads/dash-cam.157338/page-2

theres more there too IIRC - stuff about being careful about routing wires near the airbags on the pillars.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

USB-C ports behind the phone holder, use an adaptor or a cable with the correct plug.

12V socket is in the boot.

Fuse panel in the glove box in which you could fit a piggy-back fuse.
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

Thanks for the replies to date. I've brought a USB adapter and tried the USB C sockets and whilst there's a 12V supply available via them, on my car it doesn't appear to be switched and it looks like I'd need to insert and remove the Dash Cam USB lead every time that I use the car. It's not too much of an effort but is there a more straightforward way of obtaining a switched 12V supply inside the passenger cabin, or do I need to use the 12V connector in the Boot area using a different cable system ?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my further questions.

Vic Thompson.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Piggy back fuse kit from the glove box?
eg:

(PS - I've no idea if the above is the right one etc.. illustrative purposes only)
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

I use a USB-C converter with my Nextbase dashcam in my ID 3

I've got it plugged into the USB socket in the rear of the centre console, so it's out of the way.

VW ID.3 Life
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

Is it the case that the rear USB C sockets are ignition controlled as it doesn't appear to be the case with the front ones according to my Dash cam. If so, using the rear sockets makes life a bit simpler for me.

Vic Thompson.
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Vic Thompson wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:53 pm Is it the case that the rear USB C sockets are ignition controlled as it doesn't appear to be the case with the front ones according to my Dash cam. If so, using the rear sockets makes life a bit simpler for me.

Vic Thompson.
The USB sockets that I use turn the camera on and off when the car is turned on and off.
VW ID.3 Life
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

While running the cable for my dashcam the cover popped off the front camera housing behind the rear view mirror… what do you think the chances are of taking power from here? It would be rather neat…

D4205C40-7742-4E99-BDD9-376FE92D4222.jpeg

Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

Get the dealer to fit it. May cost a little but if there’s a problem then it’s their fault.
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
TimF

Post by TimF »

Jonty0560 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:20 pm Get the dealer to fit it. May cost a little but if there’s a problem then it’s their fault.
That's my preference too. Only costs £30 for pre-installation wiring/location for transferring our existing Nextbase. Unfortunately, there's no standard fit of rear-camera cabling, but I'd rather not mess around with trim fixings on a brand-new car (there seem to be a ridiculously large number of types of clip involved, which come apart in different ways requiring different directions and strengths of persuasion!). There was one bit of the route in current car which required using a springy grabber "snake" through the existing concertina cable tube to the high-level rear wiper unit, then using that to pull back a nylon thread, which could then pull the inline jack-socket through with a bit of external massage assistance. That installation will be £140.