HELP! Car not starting /

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Just got back to my car and it’s now working! Only drivers door opens & when I try and start all sorts of errors (lane assist, auto brakes etc..). Is there any sort of hard reset I can do?

Won’t go into drive or open / unlock boot/rear doors either. Entertainment and air on work.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Tried pressing start / stop button for 30 plus seconds and nothing.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Left it 5 min. Reopened and fine. Ffs
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

There seems to be random errors when it's hot outside, I've had quite a few now in the last month or so.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Compounded by being in crap reception - AA app had off loaded - etc etc. Faultless drive home. Even burned off a 1.4tsi golf at the lights.

Might be worth a pinned/sticky thread about what to do if your car won’t start/how to reset etc…
rufus1000

Post by rufus1000 »

Mine just don’t go into drive or reverse. Lots of error messages. Now being recovered to VW garage. I hope it needs only a software update or patch.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I 'think' the lock it and walk away (so the key is out of range) wait a min then walk back and unlock trick worked. This (apparently) switches the car off and then back on again. Key proximity keeps in in some sort of standby. Well thats what some video I watched last night said...

Its been good as gold since then... 4m/kwh on a 100mile motorway trip today... likes the warm weather!
jhg

Post by jhg »

I had this issue three times in the first few weeks of ownership, then on the fourth occasion the lock/unlock technique didn't work and I had to call out VW Assist. The dealer subsequently replaced the screen and control unit that sits on the steering column. The problem hasn't recurred since, but it's less than 3 weeks since I've had the car back.

If I were you I would definitely keep a record of these incidents, take photos of any error messages that pop up, and at least inform the dealer even if you do not want the hassle of taking the car back to the workshop at this stage.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Thanks jhg
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

I have the same issue. Picked up the car a week past Friday and three days later it wouldn't start. After a few hours it started alright. Then the problem occurred yesterday morning , disappeared in the afternoon and re-occurred in the evening. It wouldn't start this morning again, did in the afternoon, didn't this evening. The car is booked in next Wed for check-up. Hope I can get it started! I'll let you know what they find, if anything.
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

This heat causes some funny warning messages to be displayed. Mine told me that I couldn’t select forward or reverse because a charging cable was plugged in! Needless to say there was nothing plugged in and the warning message disappeared after a few seconds.
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Update on my ID.3 not starting problem:

Dealer reckons it's the drive (rocker) switch which is faulty. New one on back order but no delivery date. Grrrr!

But I love the car.

(By the way, how do you add your car model/spec below the post?)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

beacon39 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:41 am (By the way, how do you add your car model/spec below the post?)
Go to User Control Panel, Profile, Edit Signature
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Thanks, Raxacorico.
Aberdeen, Scotland
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Further update: Good news - the rocker switch arrived and was fitted today. Now back on the road. Dealer says it was an 'internal electrical defect'. Bad news - the rocker switch is not just a simple switch. It's comes as part of a bigger unit fitted inside the steering column, which has been replaced. Unfortunately a sleeve/ring on the new unit is causing a creaking sound on full lock so they have placed a back order for yet another unit to replace the replacement. They assure me the creak doesn't affect the driveability of the car. I heard it on leaving the service area but not during the drive home or entering my drive on full lock.
Aberdeen, Scotland
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

MotMot wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:08 pm I 'think' the lock it and walk away (so the key is out of range) wait a min then walk back and unlock trick worked. This (apparently) switches the car off and then back on again. Key proximity keeps in in some sort of standby. Well thats what some video I watched last night said...

Well, it was a hot day yesterday, my wife and I were due to go out in the evening, so I thought I'd top-up the battery before we left and I'd turn the air-con on at the same time to cool the car before we left. We go to leave and the boot and rear doors refuse to open, I was getting umpteen alerts on the dash saying things aren't working and it wouldn't select drive or reverse either.
So, my first thought was to go to id3 forums.co.uk to search for "boot won't open" and lo and behold I saw this thread. I locked the car up, got out of "fob range" for 5mins, and returned to the car which then behaved itself impeccably!
Thank you, MotMot! :D
Lesson learnt, don't overheat the battery (I'm assuming it was that, after a combination of the ambient temperature, the fact that I was also charging and the air-con was working flat-out to cool the cabin down). After 10 months of having one, electric cars still feel new (and exciting) to me and every day is a school day!
Happy motoring everyone 8-)
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Haha!

Glad it helped! I’m on my second id3 now - and this one (4 days old!) gave a headlight warning error (ugh) that cleared up after this method!

Fuse19 removal is the next step up if things don’t work…
Andy6384

Post by Andy6384 »

Had the same issue. Drove to work and used a company 7kw charger. After 4 hours the rear doors wouldn't open and I noticed the charging had stopped prematurely at 72%. Couldn't release parking brake and warnings about various sensors not working. I went back to my office, with the key, to Google for help and when I returned the car was fine.
Andy6384

Post by Andy6384 »

Sorry... 2021 id3 life pro