ID3 Software Update v2.3

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
mach1ne

Post by mach1ne »

Cyclobob wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:17 pm Does anyone know how long the update takes?

Just had a call (4pm) from VW to let me know that my car might not be ready to pick up from the dealer tomorrow at 1pm because it has just started a SW update (presumably 2.3). Surely it takes less than 21 hours, but maybe you need to acknowledge a couple of times to get the update going?

Bob
There's a little guy under the bonnet with a laptop typing all the code in line by line🤣

Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

From what the dealership said, there must be a little man at the VW datacentre in Germany typing the code in line by line! They said it was going to be connected to the VW mainframe, but mainframes went out of use back in the 90's so who knows? Doesn't sound like the dealer does...
mach1ne

Post by mach1ne »

Cyclobob wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 pm From what the dealership said, there must be a little man at the VW datacentre in Germany typing the code in line by line! They said it was going to be connected to the VW mainframe, but mainframes went out of use back in the 90's so who knows? Doesn't sound like the dealer does...
They probably connect to the mainframe using a 56k modem...
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

300 baud acoustic coupler more like.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

mach1ne wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm
scott28tt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:03 pm
mach1ne wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:34 pm Thanks for the info...it's annoying as it was in the VW garage about 4 weeks ago and I asked to make sure the software was all up to date...they obviously didn't bother then :roll:

Yes they did, 2.1 is the most recent software which is generally available.

New cars are appearing with 2.3, I have it on mine as I volunteered to receive it early, but it's not released to the masses yet.

They'd have to put in a warranty claim with VW in order to be paid to do it, and it's due to go out as an OTA update anyway.
What happened to 2.2? :D
I'll just have to be patient and wait...

2.2 was an update for the ID.4 only.
Deleted User 192

Cyclobob wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:17 pm Does anyone know how long the update takes?

Just had a call (4pm) from VW to let me know that my car might not be ready to pick up from the dealer tomorrow at 1pm because it has just started a SW update (presumably 2.3). Surely it takes less than 21 hours, but maybe you need to acknowledge a couple of times to get the update going?

Bob

When it happens OTA there are 2 parts, the first takes up to 1 hour to install once it has downloaded vie the eSIM, the second is larger and takes up to 3 hours to install once downloaded.

No idea if the dealer-based process is the same or different.

That’s assuming they’re doing 2.3.

When was your car built?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Anduain wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:34 pm 300 baud acoustic coupler more like.

Paper cups and damp string, more like.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Had a message this morning saying software update do I want to view information, I was driving so didn't press anything.
When I got back in the car the message had disappeared and there was not information on the update page.
Did this mean that the update has been applied? the version number is the same, just wondering if this was the first part of 2.3
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DSB18 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 am Had a message this morning saying software update do I want to view information, I was driving so didn't press anything.
When I got back in the car the message had disappeared and there was not information on the update page.
Did this mean that the update has been applied? the version number is the same, just wondering if this was the first part of 2.3
Had the same yesterday. Message comes up, filling the whole screen, couldn't read it (presume it needed consent to continue). As I was driving, couldn't scroll to end and continue. Pressed the squarebutton to be able to see other infotainment info and it was gone. Not back this morning.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Probably the WeCharge app being downloaded?
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

DSB18 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 am Had a message this morning saying software update do I want to view information, I was driving so didn't press anything.
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:04 am
Had the same yesterday. Message comes up, filling the whole screen, couldn't read it (presume it needed consent to continue). As I was driving, couldn't scroll to end and continue. Pressed the squarebutton to be able to see other infotainment info and it was gone. Not back this morning.

That is so odd. You'd think that a) it wouldn't fill up the whole screen as you're driving b) it can be easily found by going to the system information section.

Hopefully 2.3 itself irons out this particular experience.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Today the dealers received this news brief re software updates.

Volkswagen plans to provide customers with free software updates every 12 weeks to keep vehicles up-to-date and help improve customer experience. The first update, due imminently, will see customers benefit from optimised surrounding recognition and improved operability of the infotainment system, amongst other improvements.

Thus far, Volkswagen remains the only high-volume manufacturer to provide this technology for its customers.

The OTA updates also bring new opportunities for the brand to generate revenue with new data-based business models. For example, customers can order services and functions such as Travel Assist or improved battery performance at a later point in time using the mobile data network. There is potential to generate millions of pounds in additional revenue for the brand over the next few years.

The new OTA update technology is being developed in close collaboration with CARIAD, Volkswagen Group’s software company. “The new updates are a central functionality of the digital, connected car. They will quickly become normal for our customers, in the same way as they have for their smartphones,” said Thomas Ulbrich, Member of the Board of Management for Technical Development.

“Vehicles that always have the latest software on board can provide an excellent digital customer experience and are therefore of the utmost importance for our future success,” adds Ulbrich. “Thanks to regular updates, the car will not just remain up-to-date – it will become even better.”

New functions
One of the first OTA updates coming to customers’ vehicles includes a wide range of changes that reflect how Volkswagen listens and reacts to feedback. The ID. Light, a light strip at the bottom of the windscreen, will provide additional information that supports energy-saving driving and when driving with the Active Cruise Control (ACC) system turned on.

Image processing has also been improved for the multifunction camera, allowing it to recognise motorcycles and other road users even quicker. The graphics on the central infotainment display have also become clearer with more intuitive operation for an all-round improved experience.

As part of Volkswagen’s ACCELERATE strategy, OTA updates will lay the foundation for new business models and customer-centric product optimisation.

Article author
Volkswagen Press and PR
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Interesting info - thanks for the update.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Deleted User 192

If all of your front assist systems were still fully functional, it wasn't 2.3 part 1.

There's a new We Charge app being pushed out.
Deleted User 192

Newfie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am Today the dealers received this news brief re software updates.

Volkswagen plans to provide customers with free software updates every 12 weeks to keep vehicles up-to-date and help improve customer experience. The first update, due imminently, will see customers benefit from optimised surrounding recognition and improved operability of the infotainment system, amongst other improvements.

Thus far, Volkswagen remains the only high-volume manufacturer to provide this technology for its customers.

The OTA updates also bring new opportunities for the brand to generate revenue with new data-based business models. For example, customers can order services and functions such as Travel Assist or improved battery performance at a later point in time using the mobile data network. There is potential to generate millions of pounds in additional revenue for the brand over the next few years.

The new OTA update technology is being developed in close collaboration with CARIAD, Volkswagen Group’s software company. “The new updates are a central functionality of the digital, connected car. They will quickly become normal for our customers, in the same way as they have for their smartphones,” said Thomas Ulbrich, Member of the Board of Management for Technical Development.

“Vehicles that always have the latest software on board can provide an excellent digital customer experience and are therefore of the utmost importance for our future success,” adds Ulbrich. “Thanks to regular updates, the car will not just remain up-to-date – it will become even better.”

New functions
One of the first OTA updates coming to customers’ vehicles includes a wide range of changes that reflect how Volkswagen listens and reacts to feedback. The ID. Light, a light strip at the bottom of the windscreen, will provide additional information that supports energy-saving driving and when driving with the Active Cruise Control (ACC) system turned on.

Image processing has also been improved for the multifunction camera, allowing it to recognise motorcycles and other road users even quicker. The graphics on the central infotainment display have also become clearer with more intuitive operation for an all-round improved experience.

As part of Volkswagen’s ACCELERATE strategy, OTA updates will lay the foundation for new business models and customer-centric product optimisation.

Article author
Volkswagen Press and PR

There's more info than that on the VW UK site already: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-3.html
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

20210916_102429.jpg

20210916_102452.jpg

20210916_102500.jpg

Today's update..
Savity

Post by Savity »

Newfie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am Today the dealers received this news brief re software updates.

Article author
Volkswagen Press and PR
Improved battery performance as a purchaseable extra service? That seems a little underhand. I can see justification in ordering new services like travel assist, but battery performance should one of those free upgrades surely.....
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Not sure about that. We bought the vehicle with a certain performance promise (range and lifetime). That was the deal and both sides, VW and us were happy with it. If they now have an additional, value-enhancing improvement to add (rather than a bug fix), I'm happy to consider paying for it. Even more so if this encourages them to work on improving my vehicle, rather than future ones that I don't own, and where every improvement will reduce the value of mine.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
dubscot

Post by dubscot »

This has happened to me 3 times now, very annoying :x :x :x
ID.3 Tech Owner
Purchased July 2021
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:51 am 20210916_102429.jpg20210916_102452.jpg20210916_102500.jpgToday's update..
Thanks for the screenshots! Looks like that's the separate software update for We Charge and not 2.3?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!