ID3 TOUR WANTED

Post your ID.3 cars, accessories, parts etc. here. Buy and sell at own risk.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:49 pm
Even so, I've bought a fair few cars via the broker route and every time I've compared them, my best Carwow quote was nowhere near the DTD quote.
I agree. Carwow is nowhere near DTD. I am surprised someone claims that they got a similar price for PCP and cash when there was a £1750 deposit contribution. The orginal
discount must have been poor.

One can sell ID.3 privately for a fair profit. Some people will pay near list to avoid a 6 month wait. I would say easily £4k profit, may be more and this is still less than CarWow prices especially if buy price was even lower than DTD. This is as long as chip shortages last.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Cherry wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:00 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:49 pm
Even so, I've bought a fair few cars via the broker route and every time I've compared them, my best Carwow quote was nowhere near the DTD quote.
I agree. Carwow is nowhere near DTD. I am surprised someone claims that they got a similar price for PCP and cash when there was a £1750 deposit contribution. The orginal
discount must have been poor.
When I ordered last month the Carwow discount, including finance contribution was barely £2500, so the dealer was chipping in just £750. DTD was £4500 all in. Cash means nothing to a dealer, they're incentivised by selling finance products.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:00 pm

One can sell ID.3 privately for a fair profit. Some people will pay near list to avoid a 6 month wait. I would say easily £4k profit, may be more and this is still less than CarWow prices especially if buy price was even lower than DTD. This is as long as chip shortages last.
When people are buying a £30+k car for retail money, they'll almost certainly want to do that transaction with a car dealer, and most will want to be able to access finance to do it too.

Can't see nany people queueing up to buy a £30k car without discount from some random Joe Bloggs.

Motorway are prepared to pay 85% of new RRP for a a 6 month old car right now (so people who bought via DTD might be getting all their money back and a modest profit), but no dealer will buy a car from you at retail with a view to sell it above retail and net you both enough money to make it worthwhile - there's just not enough money in it.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

andrewparker wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:06 pm

When I ordered last month the Carwow discount, including finance contribution was barely £2500, so the dealer was chipping in just £750. DTD was £4500 all in. Cash means nothing to a dealer, they're incentivised by selling finance products.
They want the PCP.bung from VWFS which is around 20% of the agreement interest and they basically have 4 months interest free loan from VW UK on all stock cars without a designated buyer.

They also want to sell you £150 GAP for £400 and £25 lifeshine with 90 mins application labour for £300 etc.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:26 pm
When people are buying a £30+k car for retail money, they'll almost certainly want to do that transaction with a car dealer, and most will want to be able to access finance to do it too.

Can't see nany people queueing up to buy a £30k car without discount from some random Joe Bloggs.

Motorway are prepared to pay 85% of new RRP for a a 6 month old car right now (so people who bought via DTD might be getting all their money back and a modest profit), but no dealer will buy a car from you at retail with a view to sell it above retail and net you both enough money to make it worthwhile - there's just not enough money in it.
There are many "cash" buyers. You were effectively a cash buyer as is the person who began this thread!

Why does it matter if you buy via a dealer or not as you still get the warranty? People can get finance themselves if they want. There are people who do not want to wait for a new car.

Two people I know who had recent deliveries sold privately for a good profit just today, given their cars were perceived to be worth £1750 more as VW pulled the finance deposit. If a car is listed just below £35K and you buy below £28k they is a deal to be made for an immediate sale as opposed to 7 month wait. If RIshi does the right thing (as he wanted to) and pulls the £2500 grant the cars will be perceived to be worth another £2500 more. The only variable is the dealer discount.

This may create an environment that one purchased at a price below £28k and you cannot then buy new at below £32.5k after a DTD discount (or £34k via CarWow) and a 7 month wait.

People may pay list price for an immediate delivery, given some believe an EV will save them money amyway (I don't think it will save me money, but I do not expect to).

This all relies upon a long lead time. If it continues in March and I obtain delivery, then at 85% of RRP OTR (excluding all grants, PCP incentives) I would be left with c£1850 profit. This is not bad ROI for a £500 investment/deposit! This is for a delivery mileage 1 day old car and ot 6 months old. I think I should have ordered as many as I could get on finance deposit contribution (with family) many months ago and selling them as soon as they arrive!

My wife would not be impressed if I sold the one ordered for her!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The cash buyer (like myself).is strongly in the minority these days. A dealer who posts in the Golf GTI forum claims over 95% of all buyers take PCP and around 5% of those people settle in the 14 day cooling off period (resulting in the dealership not getting their VWFS bung).

These forums generally attract financially savvy people who get good discounts and a higher proportion of us buy cash than is the norm.

I don't think many people will score from this parts shortage, as it wasn't foreseen, lead times quoted are huge and allocations are low. Those dealers who ordered for stock back in April/May and are seeing those cars arriving now will score, with buyers willing to pay full RRP without argument.

The dealerships seeing the current situation will be ordering as many cars as they can, and expecting full price for them.

If you've got a car to sell for an inflated price, chances are you'll need to replace it with another that's also got an inflated price. When the supply is restored, used prices will take a dive back to normal levels and those people who bought a nearly new car for new money will lose a fortune in depreciation. Similarly, those who bought new without discount will also be paying way too much for their PCPs. A £3k discount plus interest lost will add £130pm to a PCP. Better GFVs will soften that blow a little.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:43 am
The dealerships seeing the current situation will be ordering as many cars as they can, and expecting full price for them.

If you've got a car to sell for an inflated price, chances are you'll need to replace it with another that's also got an inflated price. When the supply is restored, used prices will take a dive back to normal levels and those people who bought a nearly new car for new money will lose a fortune in depreciation. Similarly, those who bought new without discount will also be paying way too much for their PCPs. A £3k discount plus interest lost will add £130pm to a PCP. Better GFVs will soften that blow a little.
Some people are ordering cars to just to sell as soon as they have delivery (or decided to sell their new cars as they still have existing cars). They sell at just below RRP, at lower prices than dealers and have buyers - some people do not want to wait. Many are working from home (until their jobs are offshored - the most logical action of many employers as the model works) so do not really care for their new cars and can wait whilst pocketing their profit.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:16 am

Some people are ordering cars to just to sell as soon as they have delivery (or decided to sell their new cars as they still have existing cars). They sell at just below RRP, at lower prices than dealers and have buyers - some people do not want to wait. Many are working from home (until their jobs are offshored - the most logical action of many employers as the model works) so do not really care for their new cars and can wait whilst pocketing their profit.
That sounds like supposition on your part rather than fact. Given the very limited allocation of cars right now due to parts shortages (VW dealership guy on Golf GTI forum claims 2022's whole build allocation is 80% claimed), there's not much scope for people to be doing this, and certainly not with multiple cars.

Trying to sell a new car for close to RRP is not something many would-be buyers will do in a private sale, they'd rather have the reassurance of going to the dealer, even if its for a few hundred quid more. I work from home 90% of the time but still value having a car of my own. We could just about get by with 1 car and I pay the wife's taxi fare to work on the odd days I really need it, but it's a pain and I xan't see many people doing it.

Presumably most of the people getting an ID3 soon will be getting shot of an ICE car and making big fuel savings that will eat up that quick profit.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm
Cherry wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:16 am

That sounds like supposition on your part rather than fact. Given the very limited allocation of cars right now due to parts shortages (VW dealership guy on Golf GTI forum claims 2022's whole build allocation is 80% claimed), there's not much scope for people to be doing this, and certainly not with multiple cars.

Trying to sell a new car for close to RRP is not something many would-be buyers will do in a private sale, they'd rather have the reassurance of going to the dealer, even if its for a few hundred quid more. I work from home 90% of the time but still value having a car of my own. We could just about get by with 1 car and I pay the wife's taxi fare to work on the odd days I really need it, but it's a pain and I xan't see many people doing it.

Presumably most of the people getting an ID3 soon will be getting shot of an ICE car and making big fuel savings that will eat up that quick profit.

I am saying buying 1 or 2 cars to sell and not much more.

Big fuel savings? I doubt it for many home workers. I work from home for years.

Some buy an EV to waste money and may be enjoy the experience.

An EV will never save me money! Many people I know do not buy an EV to save money as their pay back time is zero, due to low mileage and higher purchase cost.
My next car will still be an EV, to waste money. :D

EV's save money. That sounds like supposition on your part rather than fact. I would be interested in independent research.

A direct comparison of a ICE and EV is difficult unless the same model is compared.