Tethered or not

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here

Post by 262125 »

Hi, we have just ordered an ID3 and starting to look at a home charger. Any views on whether we should go tethered or not. My thoughts are tethered for ease but long term will that leave us with issues if we get a second EV??

Thanks
James

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Tethered is really simple, just plug in each time.

The Type 2 connector isn't going away, it's also part of the CCS plug which is adopted all over Europe, and beyond.

I have a tethered Pod Point, it's on the front of the house and looks fine with the cable wrapped around it.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Tethered are easiest, if you need a longer lead, untethered probably gives more flexibility there.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Our charger is visible from the road - and I'm going to be charging at best once a week there. So went for untethered. Smaller box - looks neater - no cable for some scrote to try and steal (and probably damage the charger discovering they cant... etc...).

If it were in a garage - or well out of sight etc... I'd probably go tethered.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

i have a tethered that was on the house when we moved in - due to the location i have to back the car right up to the garage (so close i cant open it) and then it just about reaches.

i thought i would charge it once a week maybe but in reality i charge it most night to top up with the cheap Octopus rate.

i would not swap it for an untethered one as its so much easier having it ready to go every time and not having to dig around in the boot for the cable to plug in, and you can just unplug and go when you need to use the car.

like a previous post said, the plug type is going to be around for a long time so as long as the cable on a tethered is long enough i would go with that.

:)
First edition

Share £100 with me when you sign up
share.octopus.energy/dense-crab-700
shire-dweller

Post by shire-dweller »

MotMot wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 am Our charger is visible from the road - and I'm going to be charging at best once a week there. So went for untethered. Smaller box - looks neater - no cable for some scrote to try and steal (and probably damage the charger discovering they cant... etc...).
Re security/theft, I've read the opposite reasoning in some other thread (can't find it now). Some say that while a charger is off per charger's app schedule (for example to take advantage of cheaper electricity at certain times), neither the charger nor the car will lock the cable plugs (untethered charger). Is this really the case? If so, it makes the cable an easy target for snitching by simply unplugging it, without damaging anything.

By contrast, a tethered charger (which is readily identifiable by the absence of a socket) would require cutting the cable and thus damaging the cable itself. The cable would require visible repairing if to sell on as a charging cable, unless selling for the raw metal that has much lower value. This is possible (after all, there is such a thing as catalytic converter theft), but it sounds to me that cutting the cable is less likely than simply unplugging an unlocked cable during scheduled off time.

Also, if someone was prepared to cut a cable from a tethered charger, they might as well cut a locked cable from a untethered charger, while the car is charging overnight. No electric shock if wearing rubber gloves, and the trip switch would prevent any further fuss.

As for "looks neater", I've recently come across this Andersen A2 video that shows how they cleverly designed a tethered charger that completely hides the cable while not in use: https://andersen-ev.com/wp-content/uplo ... inding.mp4 It may be the most expensive charger in the UK market (is it?), but it's probably the most discrete while not compromising on the convenience of a tethered charger.

By the way, if anyone knows of other tethered chargers that manage to hide the cable like the Andersen A2, I'd like to know as I will soon be making the decision of what charger to buy, and could do with saving some money. It is odd that the most expensive charger is also just an unassuming rectangular box. :-)
Split £100 with me when you switch to Octopus: https://share.octopus.energy/snow-lark-143
Split £10 with me when you join Electroverse: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/sign-up/magic?referralCode=steel-crow-18264
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The cable is locked to the car - when the car is locked. Unless you specify otherwise (release cable whne charging done option).

By looks neater - I should probably say smaller.

I've a syncEV that is about the size of two thick paperback books back to back on the wall. The Anderson has the same frontal area of a small fridge! I expect you could hide the charging cable and a couple of bottles of wine in there! :)

I'm not sure (yet) that I'd choose the syncEV again - but thats another story.... :)
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I went untethered purely to get 10m (5m cable stays in the ID.3). Convenience and security aren’t too bad, the charger is in our front porch and not easily seen, our Ring cams would see you before you see the charger! Pod Point do a reasonable job of cable storage, they can be wound round it and it handles 10m fine. The cable would need to be cut to steal it as I’ve bolted an anchor lock to the wall, the cable runs through that whether it’s charging or not. All that said if there had been a 10m tethered option I’d have gone for that, works out cheaper too.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
van

Post by van »

FYI the Hypervolt has a 10m tethered option (£799 less grant plus installation). They tell me it wind's round neatly. Was also considering a Zappi untethered with 10m type2 as will need the reach but have decided against as can't see us using the solar integration. Hypervolt have very good reviews so may spend the hard earned in that direction.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.

Post by 262125 »

Thanks for the reply’s everyone, really helpful. I think we will go tethered probably with a Podpoint. 7.5m will be long enough and plan to have it located in the garage where we park the cars overnight.
Id3x2-21/71

Post by Id3x2-21/71 »

I’ve had both tethered and non tethered, rolec was my first charger which came with my house and was a pain getting in the boot every time and folding the cable up just to nip to the shops if you’ve just plugged it in from work.

if you leave the cable plugged into the unit while you nip out they can just be taken this is why I’ve opted for tethered

I’ve had the ohme charger installed around a month ago and looks neat on the side of the house and is easy to use.

program my octopus tariffs into the app and away you go and I’ve got mine set to not charge the car at full price and wait till it’s 0.05p per kWh now I’m paying £2.90 a charge.

I used http://www.rnb-mne.co.uk to install mine they sorted all the paperwork out on the day and settled invoice 7 days after installation excellent pricing.
Id3 life pro performance 58kwh white east Derry alloys & Id3 city pure performance 45kwh moonstone grey east Derry alloys

Energy supplier octopus

£50 referral link

share.octopus.energy/warm-swan-246

Charger Ohme ev tethered