Questions about assistance systems and other things...

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Hi all!

New user here, we ordered an ID.3 in late July and are hoping for delivery in December with a fair wind. Quite excited as this will be the first new car we've ever owned and the first EV. So I'm spending lot of time reading about the car :)
I have a few random questions that we didn't work out when we did our test drives and when looking at the cars and haven't seen answers to online, wondering if someone can help?

Lane assist - I currently drive a 64 reg Octavia VRS with lane assist, I think it must have been an optional extra at the time. I find it useful on the motorway, but it's not that refined and if not resisted after a few seconds will end up doing a slow zigzag from one side of the lane to the other. I assume the ID3 system is better - can anyone provide a comparison from experience between the ID3 system and that on older VW group cars? (I'm aware it's awkward to turn off.)

Lane assist again - if it turns itself off after not being resisted for 10 seconds, does it then turn itself back on automatically once it feels the wheel move again?

(These questions are not an indication that I intend to drive along without holding the steering wheel! I'm just interested how good the system is. Thought I had better clarify that :))

Eco assist - does it slow down automatically for signs signalling a reduction in speed limit? (It sounds like a really useful system for saving range and I'm just wondering whether it could also help avoid occasional inadvertent limit-breaking where I miss the sign!)

Also - do lane assist and ACC deactivate if it's very wet? I always worry about cruise control and other automated systems with aquaplaning potential on a very wet motorway. (I always deactivate cruise and lane assist manually in the Octavia when I don't want them, but it's easy to do via the stalk...)

Variable boot floor - we have ordered a family model for other reasons (sunroof, parking camera primarily) and I saw the variable boot floor as a small bonus that I wasn't very bothered about. However I've since realised how much it reduces the boot depth in the upper position. Does anyone know (1) how much boot depth is reduced when it's in the lower position or (2) how easy is it remove it? I'm not bothered about aesthetics in the boot and available depth is fairly critical to the stuff I have to carry around. I checked the specific items fit in a car at a local dealer, but it was a Style so didn't have the variable boot.

Performance - my diesel VRS has a very similar notional 0-60 time. The ID3 seemed quick off the line but we didn't get it up to high speeds on our test drives. Can anyone say how they might compare from 30-70 for pulling onto the motorway or overtaking? I'm assuming the ID3 will be slower but hoping not too much.

Economy - I appreciate this might not be answerable and I should just try it out when the car arrives! But speculation is good. My longest regular trip is about 190 miles return, mostly motorway/dual carriageway, which I appreciate will probably need a recharge sometimes and there is no charger at the far end (middle of the countryside.) There is an alternative route using lots of 50mph-ish twisties which is about 10 miles shorter but takes longer and is definitely (much) less economical in a diesel. Am I right that even with a slightly heavy right foot this route is likely to use less battery than the motorway option in the ID.3, or does getting better range at 50 than 70 still require strong attention to careful driving?

Thanks!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Loefr1cs

Post by Loefr1cs »

I'll compare a few bits for you. Lane assist. I am comparing with a Golf 7.5 GTD auto and Tiguan 2 RLine both which have lane assist and every option ticked. How does the ID3 compare?

In a nutshell it's awesome. Not perfect but a definite generational improvement over the last VW system.

You don't have to engage travel assist for ACC or lane guidance. Like before, the moment you touch the brakes, it will disengage. It both speeds up and slows down of its own accord based on speed limit. The HUD marks up cars in its field of vision to inform you of which car it is tracking. I would even go so far as to say it is better than autopilot under certain conditions in congested areas.

It maintains steer under higher angle turns and adapts very well. I would say it is better than my older cars at reducing driver fatigue even further. Sorry I can't compare cars without travel assist. Lane assist and ACC will deactivate when the sensors are covered in snow or torrential rain. Good advice was to use a bit of rainx and bring a cloth but I'm not sure where the new sensor is... Assume behind the logo again?

Boot floor, easy to remove. Perhaps eats 10cm height of boot space.

Performance, it's great. I prefer this to my 200hp GTD. It's punchy torque wins every time.

Economy, sorry not been far enough but 3.5 to 4mi / kWh don't seem unrealistic.

Sorry for any inaccuracies. I can only comment on my own car and experience which is a UK pro Max.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Hi, welcome to iD3 ownership (future).

First thing about the iD3 lane assist is that it is purely the basic safety system as mandated by the EU, not a a system to allow the car to follow lanes correctly. It will stop the car from veering off the side of the lane and slightly tug the wheel back to centre. There are iD 3 models that have active steering but the family does not have it. You can't use it to drive without steering input. Lane assist remains on all the time unless deactivated manually each time you get into the car. ACC dos not deactivate in poor weather conditions, you just have to be aware of the driving conditions as would normally be the case.

The car does slow down automatically when entering a new speed restriction (this can be turned off if so desired) and I find this a really useful. What is not so useful is 'phantom braking' for a speed limit that does not exist any more.

In terms of speed, then you will find the iD3 much quicker in real driving conditions than a diesel vRS. The main difference is the instant torque - no waiting to change gear (manual or auto), no turbo to spool up and an instant acceleration no matter what speed you are doing. I have had several 3.0 V6 diesel cars in a row prior to my wife getting her iD3 and none of them had the same instant get up and go that the iD3 has. You get very used to pulling out at junctions and roundabouts far more easily then in a diesel car. On motorway slip roads there is no issue at all.

As for driving efficiency on B roads compared to fast A roads, then the B roads will always be more efficient in an EV. Speed is the killer of range in an EV.

I can't check the boot depth at the moment, but I think with the variable floor removed the boot depth would be the same as in the Life model. There are people on here who I am sure will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Thanks folks!
So it sounds like the lane assist function that comes on all family, life etc is quite different from the lane assist function that forms part of travel assist on the max and tour. From the VW blurb I couldn't tell the difference.
Can anyone tell me how the ID3 basic lane assist system on family, life etc compares to similar systems on older VAG cars? Has it been improved at all?
I think you answered everything else, thanks :)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Hi.. (I have a family edition)

As said above I find Lane assist similar to the lane assist my Tiguan had.. improved but not a huge step forward.

Not sure what you mean by ECO assist but the car recognises and slows down for speed limit changes whatever mode you are driving in.

ACC has to be activated manually so if you are worried about weather don't turn it on. (Although as before touch the brake or the steering wheel control and it's off) Lane assist can be deactivated but in your scenario above I am not sure lane assist would make the situation any worse?

The 2nd boot floor doesn't have to be removed and can sit on top of the lower floor so you'd lose I guess 2cms?

Personal view - Performance wise 0 - 20 is stunning and I think that gets translated as being the same everywhere.. Once the instant max torque effect has gone you'll probably find 30 - 70 similar to your VRS (I had a 240 Tiguan and that was definitely slightly quicker from 30 upwards but I wouldn't want to put a stopwatch on it) Personally I think the reported 0 - 60 is understated but it's hard to get beyond the huge boot in your back from 0 - 30 and these days you're rarely sat at traffic lights where the speed limit is 70!!

Economy - The 6.4kWh question... Do anything over 70 on a motorway and you'll lose range quite rapidly. Temperature will have more effect though. You should manage 190 miles when the temps are in double figures but you'll not manage it in Winter.

Just a comment as I've seen this elsewhere.. The Family has a Panoramic roof not a Sunroof (I mean it doesn't open) I see people refer to the 'Sunroof' and worry if they discover on delivery it doesn't actually open.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Thanks, all makes sense.
Yes, sorry, my bad terminology re: the roof. Thought it was really great in the Style we test drove, it made the whole car feel even more spacious/airy.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:18 pm Hi.. (I have a family edition)
Just a comment as I've seen this elsewhere.. The Family has a Panoramic roof not a Sunroof (I mean it doesn't open) I see people refer to the 'Sunroof' and worry if they discover on delivery it doesn't actually open.
Hi G43FAN
I ordered a Family Pro Perf on 11/06/2021. According to the brochure (a.k.a. Price & Specification Guide effective 3.6.2021 in the Factory fitted Options list on page 6 it states:
"Panoramic sunroof – electric, glass sliding/tilting including integrated roller blind"
as being the Design Pack Plus content fitted as standard in the ID.3 Family model.
Perhaps this is why people refer to the 'Sunroof' ?

However I also see that in the current (08/2021) version of this brochure the same line merely says: "Panoramic glass roof" and doesn't even mention the integrated roller blind.

So I'll be interested to see what functionality appears when my car is delivered.
According to my dealer's update of 10 days ago the build week is confirmed as 202135 - so hopefully I may find out late next month.