Still unsure about EV ownership

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum as i wanted to ask some questions to current ID owners before potentially committing to an EV that is likely to be an ID3 Pro S Tour 77kWh. It will be my only car and i do a fair number of miles for work, about 1800/2000 miles per month, of which id say half are motorway miles.

I have reservations about the charging network and finding chargers not working, what's the real world experience of owners ? I also saw a review that shared an issue with possible glitches with the software linking upto the home charger ? Should i stick with the VW recommended pod point or is it safe to look at other manufacturers ?

Any help and/or advice would be welcome....

Dave

Lammy

Post by Lammy »

I love my ID3, but put simply I wouldn’t own it if I didn’t have access to an ICE car. I do 300+ mile round trips every so often for work and just don’t want to add hours to an already long day sat at a charging station. If their is any change the range isn’t enough I just take the ICE.

Most of my trips I use the ID.3 and it’s become the car of choice for family weekend trips over the larger ICE car we have.

I charge at home and again put simply the cars scheduling is useless! My charger isn’t smart but my cheap tariff starts at 8:30pm so it’s easy enough to manage.

I have had no other issues with the cars systems it’s not missed a beat so far.

It’s very much personal preference obviously but that’s my experience. 🙂
First edition

Share £100 with me when you sign up
share.octopus.energy/dense-crab-700
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

This is a very personal opinion mixed with family experience, but with that volume of miles you need to be going Tesla to gain access to the Supercharger network.

The only thing that would change my opinion on that would be the sensible opening of Superchargers to the general public, which is presently in the "vapourware" category for me.

The irony is that a high mileage on an EV is a hugely practical and cheap thing to do...but public chargers are generally the pits. Superchargers have their issues, but not on the scale of EH (for example).

The family experience here is that my father - who has driven 24,000 miles a year for the last 40 years - absolutely maintains that without his Tesla Model 3 he would be driving ICE. And from his perspective it's only "possible" at the moment, not "easy".
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi David F63
It will be interesting to see how this thread expands. The public network has to support people like yourself.
Before I retired my daily commute on the M25 and A1 was 84 miles daily. That would have been manageable with a 7.3kw home charger at circa 30 miles/hour.
I would undertake a 300 mile round trip in my 58kw life PP with 1 planned stop. If that was not too frequent it would not bother me. Planning is key.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve had an ID3 (58kw) for 10 weeks now. Done 3500 miles - several long motorway journeys.

My ‘regular’ long drives include Manc <> Hull, Manc <> Kendal/Keswick and Manc <> North Norfolk (less so but sometimes).

I had all the charging stops worked out etc.. before getting delivery - and in reality range anxiety - getting a charge etc.. has been a total non event.

Its been super easy. Really much easier than I thought. Most legs of my journeys (before needing a wee/break - or getting to the destination) have been within 80% charged range - and getting a rapid charge at all of my destinations has not been an issue.

I quickly learnt that Motorway service areas are generally to be avoided for charging (often busy) though much better now Gridserve chargers are being rolled out (but still often busy). However, Osprey and in particular InstaVolt have a wide network of reliable super easy to use chargers often within 1-2 miles of a motorway junction (often where I might stop to get a McDonalds/Costa coffee etc.. (instead of having to stop at a motorway services). I have never had to que for a charge.

Recently, a 8 charger (150kw) EV only station (MFG) opened 2-3 miles away from home - and that has made it super easy if I get back from a long journey with low percentage and have to go out fairly soon after (not enough time for a home top up/charge).

You read plenty of horror stories on forums and in the press about not being able to get charges - they are nearly - nearly always trying to use the now nearly defunct ecotricity chargers at Motorway services - that I have completely avoided.

For me - its been a total non issue.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Thanks for all these replies, it certainly makes interesting reading and there looks to be a tremendous amount of homework to be done before making a decision....
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

All of the above is sensible and useful. You just need to review your daily usage. Driving an EV you get used to plugging it in every night so it's always ready in the morning. It's not about Brimming and running to the red between fills like an Ice. (I know this may be obvious, but genuinely I was talking to a neighbour about mine and he stated there was no way he would be going electric until he could go at least a week without having to charge it and he seriously found the idea of plugging it in every night unacceptable).

1800/2000 miles is total mileage or just work?
Is that spread over a daily schedule? Total monthly doesn't really help.

If you regularly drive about 100-150 miles a day then there's no reason not to go with an ID.3 even a 58kWh and charge at home overnight. (assuming you can have this facility)
If you do a weekly 400 mile round trip then things would be slightly different.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I work from home as an account manager so 2/3 days at home each week. 2/3 days I may do 200 mile round trips so should be ok on a single charge and maybe 2/3 times a month I may have a 300 mile trip one way which I know I would have to recharge to get home. What do you think ?
steve

Post by steve »

I think a 200 miles round trip would be ok, but you'll probably need to charge to 100% for that to feel comfortable. Or past 80% anyway, but this shouldn't be a problem if you charge at home overnight.

But an ID3 58kwh won't get you 300 miles without a charge, so the longer trips you'll need to charge both directions. I have done Dundee to Sheffield a couple of times, which 330 miles I think, and charged once on the way, with loads of charge left on arrival. As long as you find a reliable 50kw charger around the middle of your route you should be ok. I always go and get lunch while it charges so i don't really know how long it takes to get a decent charge.

A lot depends on driving style of course, and also the weather. You get a lot more range in daylight on a warm day than on a cold, dark winter evening.

I hope that helps. Others may have other experiences.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

That’s great. Thank you.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Be aware that winter can reduce the range dramatically. The 58kWh model would need a charge even on your 200 mile trips. The 77kWh model should make that trip OK.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

MotMot wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:28 pm I’ve had an ID3 (58kw) for 10 weeks now. Done 3500 miles - several long motorway journeys.

My ‘regular’ long drives include Manc <> Hull, Manc <> Kendal/Keswick and Manc <> North Norfolk (less so but sometimes).

I had all the charging stops worked out etc.. before getting delivery - and in reality range anxiety - getting a charge etc.. has been a total non event.

Its been super easy. Really much easier than I thought. Most legs of my journeys (before needing a wee/break - or getting to the destination) have been within 80% charged range - and getting a rapid charge at all of my destinations has not been an issue.

I quickly learnt that Motorway service areas are generally to be avoided for charging (often busy) though much better now Gridserve chargers are being rolled out (but still often busy). However, Osprey and in particular InstaVolt have a wide network of reliable super easy to use chargers often within 1-2 miles of a motorway junction (often where I might stop to get a McDonalds/Costa coffee etc.. (instead of having to stop at a motorway services). I have never had to que for a charge.

Recently, a 8 charger (150kw) EV only station (MFG) opened 2-3 miles away from home - and that has made it super easy if I get back from a long journey with low percentage and have to go out fairly soon after (not enough time for a home top up/charge).

You read plenty of horror stories on forums and in the press about not being able to get charges - they are nearly - nearly always trying to use the now nearly defunct ecotricity chargers at Motorway services - that I have completely avoided.

For me - its been a total non issue.
👌
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Smuj makes a good point about winter range. I’d still be wanting to stop after 150 miles (c. 2.5 hours on most motorways and assuming in a worse case scenario 150 miles is my winter range) for a break anyway.

I’d quite like to have the ‘backup’ of the extra range - but I’ve not needed it yet and it wouldn’t justify the extra price tag for me. Heavier car (larger battery) also reduces the efficiency. Not too much with the larger battery id3 - but when you look at cars like the ETron it has a monster pack - but does the same (if not less) miles than an iD3. Just much morse miles per kWh lugging all that SUV/large battery around.
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Thanks for the replies all….. I’m probably going with the 77kwh id3 so should be ok.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m awaiting delivery of my pro performance family but I’m not daunted by long distance journeys. I’m confident I’ll be able to plan a route to my daughter in Cheshire (from Sussex) and my son in Zurich. The range is about right for the amount of time I’d drive before needing a comfort stop. For example to
Cheshire I’d stop at Gridserve Rugby M6 and to Zurich I’d probably use the free Eurotunnel charger to top up to 100% then charge at Reims services , then ionity at Metz and Colmar.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hi all, just joined the forum as I am trading in the wife’s old Polo for a new shiny ID3 Tech Pro Performance 204ps. Originally expected to have to wait for the new vehicle to be ordered etc. but was delighted to buy one that the dealer had recently taken delivery of. Manganese grey metallic black, 18 inch East Derry wheels. Pick it up next week.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Noel wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:41 pm Hi all, just joined the forum as I am trading in the wife’s old Polo for a new shiny ID3 Tech Pro Performance 204ps. Originally expected to have to wait for the new vehicle to be ordered etc. but was delighted to buy one that the dealer had recently taken delivery of. Manganese grey metallic black, 18 inch East Derry wheels. Pick it up next week.
Congrats on the colour, best of the bunch in my opinion (I thought it would be white, but we got a white one, which was my first choice then, then also bought a Manganese Grey one - I like the grey one more!). 18" Derrys are fine and difficult for the wife to kerb. IMO derrys have the nicest design of the 3 alloy types and the bigger alloys come at a disproportionately high price.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

tomstring wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 pm I’m awaiting delivery of my pro performance family but I’m not daunted by long distance journeys. I’m confident I’ll be able to plan a route to my daughter in Cheshire (from Sussex) and my son in Zurich. The range is about right for the amount of time I’d drive before needing a comfort stop. For example to
Cheshire I’d stop at Gridserve Rugby M6 and to Zurich I’d probably use the free Eurotunnel charger to top up to 100% then charge at Reims services , then ionity at Metz and Colmar.
Read my little trip report to Italy. It's a complete non-issue and nothing to worry about. To Zürich you should be fine with a max of three charges in a Tour during summer. I would do Channel Gateway - Wellin - Haut Koenigsburg on Ionity if taking that route, or Rely - Vrigny - Metz if going the French way. Metz maybe a bit busy.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
DavidF63

Post by DavidF63 »

Thanks all. Have really researched it this weekend and am more confidant so probably will take the plunge. Now looking at smart home chargers and energy provider. It’s looking like Octopus are the most popular for ev owners. Not sure yet on charger - any thoughts ?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Charger choice harder than car choice imho! :D

If you’ve a 5-6 month wait for the car I’d think about it closer to the time - as there are new chargers coming all the time. Hopefully the 350 grant will remain.