Considering

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ambleside8

Post by Ambleside8 »

Hi All. Were considering an ID3. Ive looked at endless cars and think its time to consider a pure electric. Were retired and dont do much weekly mileage, but we have a home 250 miles away, so when travelling there, well need the extra charge. I liked the Tour for that reason, but 4 seats maybe an issue. I dont like the sound of steel wheels. Weve done a lot of research and been to look at them and we really think theyll suit us, but I keep hearing that they keep breaking down and there maybe a software problem. Id really appreciate any thoughts you may have to offer offer, to help us decide one way or the other. Your views on reliability would be particularly welcome. Many thanks.

NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Hi,

If you look at the “doom and gloom” titled topic, you’ll find some positive experiences - so far so good for me after 3 months. I bought a lower spec as I felt was best value. Any other electric car reviews that have impressed me since, tend to be very expensive cars by comparison.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

To reiterate, the software problems are a thing of the long distant past (in my opinion).

We have 18k on the clock and it has been rock solid and 100% reliable to drive.

It is fun, quiet, “cool” and any changes we would want would be purely for the geek factor.

I’ve not heard or read about breakdowns and I follow multiple groups in several countries.

We had far more issues with our Velar which we sold. The iD3 is our only car now.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm also retired and a low miler. The doom and gloom thread will be useful as already said.
I'm 9 months in and have done 4,000 miles trouble free. 250 mile run in a 58kw option will need a top up en route but its not difficult. You would probably stop for 30 minutes or so on a 250 mile run and thats enough to get you on your way with battery reserve on arrival. Just plan your stop around a charging location.
I could never go back to an ICE.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The software is vastly improved since when cars first hit the roads this time last year, the 2.1 version released in March has been stable on many many cars - mine hasn't been anywhere near a dealer workshop since.

There's a 2.3 update rolling out generally soon which improves performance and has some other tweaks (my car has had it for about 6 weeks now and it's been perfect)
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’d echo all of the above. 3 months and 4500 miles in. Have a look on zap map and find out where there are rapid chargers on the way to your home - if you only do the journey - handful of times a year - it might not be worth the extra - £7k or more for the Tour (it doesn’t get the govt 2500 grant)… I’ve done a few journeys that length in the 58kwh battery version and frankly I’ve always wanted to stop when I’ve charged anyway - and usually the car is charged before I’ve finished my cuppa…
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Ambleside8 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm Hi All. Were considering an ID3. Ive looked at endless cars and think its time to consider a pure electric. Were retired and dont do much weekly mileage, but we have a home 250 miles away, so when travelling there, well need the extra charge.

Probably to echo what a lot of folks are going to say; I wouldn't necessarily exclude something like the Family with the smaller battery just because of a 250 mile journey. Finding a reliable public charger on the journey and stopping for a cuppa is probably a good idea, and if (for example) you find a Costa Coffee (or similar) with an Instavolt rapid charger you probably won't even notice the EV "charge break".

You'll likely probably want home charging at both ends of the journey though, from an economy point of view.

Full disclosure; we went Tour because of the unpredictability of one particular journey where there are no convenient chargers between points A/B, and it's a one-day journey with no charging available during. So the car has to cope in winter conditions with a regular, but unpredictably patterned, journey with no charging possible. This is a very specific use case, and had I been able to break the journey for charging (or if destination charging were available), I would have gone with the Family/Max.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203