Newby, just about to tip my toe in the water

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sghom wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm
TheJimster wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:35 pm I see that actual stock ID3s have pretty much disappeared from Auto Trader now. When I bought ours a couple of months ago, there were 90 or so new ID3s on there.
funny that ? I called at my dealers today ..........[ not to speak to him, he usually hides in the gents when I turn up !! ] Not an ID.3 in sight.... ! none in showroom [ only ID.4's ] none new or approved used outside.......... none even in carpark or attached to chargers !!

I fink bill shatner may have beamed them up :D
At least there wasn't a queue of broken ones parked up waiting for parts.. (or do they hide those?)

Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

TheJimster wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:35 pm I see that actual stock ID3s have pretty much disappeared from Auto Trader now. When I bought ours a couple of months ago, there were 90 or so new ID3s on there.
I suspect the ID.4 may outsell the ID.3 in the UK because of the fashion for SUVs. If the chancellor reduces the EV grant for sub £35k BEVs - as is being hinted - there'll be less incentive to choose an ID.3 rather than an ID.4.
It's also possible that VW are prioritising use of their scarce supply of semiconductors into models having higher price & profit margin such as the ID.4 (whilst minimising their fines based on average CO2 emissions across their product range.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

NikNak wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 pm I read today that many car manufacturers cancelled chip (and other component) orders during the pandemic as they expected orders of new cars to plummet and they didn't want to be stuck with excess stock on the shelves.
They've been caught on the hop as new car orders have instead kept strong and have actually started to accelerate.
The chip thing is a myth with large manufacturers like VW

The fact is they have 2 factories running 24/7 producing ID3s and ID4s. Demand has been massive, 144000 for thr ID3 since they started to end of August. They are building a factory in the US and one in China, should alleviate the burden once they come on line
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Gwyver wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm
I suspect the ID.4 may outsell the ID.3 in the UK because of the fashion for SUVs. If the chancellor reduces the EV grant for sub £35k BEVs - as is being hinted - there'll be less incentive to choose an ID.3 rather than an ID.4.
It's also possible that VW are prioritising use of their scarce supply of semiconductors into models having higher price & profit margin such as the ID.4 (whilst minimising their fines based on average CO2 emissions across their product range.
Hmm highly doubt the ID3 will outsell the ID4. If someone is really after the SUV variant, I doubt a £2,500 saving is going to change their mind a whole lot. Besides, the ID3 is doing 3-5x the volumes that the ID4 is.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!