Newbie...Also looking for guidance :D

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

Hello all!

A newbie from the north east here!

Looking for guidance/opinions...

Very new to the EV world and took the plunge with the mrs getting an e-up! back in August and so far... I like what I see! Its perfect for her 10 mile e/way commute and currently charging is free where she works.

I wondered if anyone can share their experiences/opinions on wether an ID3 would suit my personal commute needs...

My commute from home to work is 47 miles (give or take, and thats each way) 1/2 of it is 70mph dual carriageway (even though i religiously do 67mph) and the other half is almost all 60mph single carriageway totalling around an hour each way.

I currently have a 2016 R-Line Passat 2.0D Bluemotion which on on that run, youd be very unlucky to see less than 49mpg and could traverse the dual carriageways all day long. The reason im reaching out for advice is that, although i know in my mind that her e-up! is very much a city car, I have taken it on my commute once and lets say, it wasnt in its element. So i guess i could do with some real life feedback from those who do use the IDs on those motorway commutes.

But, I do like what I see with the ID3 and I have the opportunity to take advantage of the wifes works lease scheme and could get myself the 150kw Tour Pro S 77kw, inclusive of insurance, breakdown, servicing/maintenance and tyres for £369/month for 3 years.

We do already have a home charger installed (7kw pod point) but hasnt been used as yet with her being able to charge at work for free.

Love to hear everyones thoughts.

Jonny :D

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

For your commute - the extra range of the tour is un-necessary I'd say. The regular 58kwh battery pack would be fine. I'd suspect that would be a fair chunk cheaper on the monthly payments too..

Only downside I can think of is the long long lead time for cars at the moment. Be prepared to wait until the middle of 2022 (at least) it would seem..
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

*edit
Last edited by JonnyRad on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

MotMot wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:12 am For your commute - the extra range of the tour is un-necessary I'd say. The regular 58kwh battery pack would be fine. I'd suspect that would be a fair chunk cheaper on the monthly payments too..

Only downside I can think of is the long long lead time for cars at the moment. Be prepared to wait until the middle of 2022 (at least) it would seem..
Thanks for your reply!

Heres where the prices come out at

107kw Family Pro 58kw £280

"" Life Pro "" £260

150kw Family Pro 58kw £300

"" Life Pro "" £281

"" Max Pro "" £349

and the Tour Pro S £370...

The frustrating thing with this website is, although it tells you the trim names, it doesnt actually tell you what the differences are

Penny for your thoughts...
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

the 150kw ones are known as the Pro performance in the VW literature and the 107kw ones Pro. Trim levels go Life, Family, Max, Tour.

The basic Life models are already pretty well specc'd - you get more extra bits on the more expensive ones etc.. 150kw life Pro or Family at 281 and 300 look the pick of the bunch there..
I'm no lease expert but also consider deposit/mileage allowance etc.. there are some very competitive deals around and this may not be the cheapest... though there may be tax break if its a company scheme?

All on here: - looks to me like (unsurprisingly) the cost per month tracks the model cost..

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Personally I think the Family is the sweet spot, and the Max is the luxury option. Both will need alloys fitted at extra cost, unless you like the standard plastic binlids 😀

As such from my own perspective my shortlist would already be this

• 107kw Family Pro 58kw £280
  • 150kw Family Pro 58kw £300
  • 150kw Max Pro 58kw £349
First question I'd ask myself is what my budget is, and if £349 was well within it, I'd just order the Max (though don't forget the alloys at extra cost, if you're adding them!). If £349 wasn't fitting in my budget, then it's down to what performance you'd like out of the Family and whether that £20 difference per month is important to you or not.

I would have discounted the Life at £260 vs the Family at £280 simply because the Family is considerably better specced.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

Thanks both for the replies, I probably should have said that those prices are based on a 25k per year mileage allowance, which seems a lot but being new to the leasing world as well, I just did my daily commute of 97miles, on average 4 days a week = 388 * 52 = 20,176 and rounded upto 25k for good measure. Generally speaking I dont always have to drive in, I think over the last 3 weeks Ive driven into work once and got the train in for the rest. But knowing my luck, id drop the mileage and id end up in everyday of the year haha
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

Also, this is a salary sacrifice scheme (although not my salary haha) so she receives a bit of tax relief. Zero deposit or initial rental.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Having all that clear in your mind when choosing the right model will avoid unnecessary cost.
As for the commute that would be doable on most days with any battery option based on 80% depart 20% on return.
In the height of Winter zeto C days maybe the 58 kw would be required. As you have a destination 7kw charger you could run less than 20%. Your commute miles would take around 4 hours to put back with the 7kw charger.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

From what you've said, I'd go for 150kW Family or 150kW Max, you wouldn't need the extra range of the Tour for that commute.

The Max gives you the heads-up display, speakers in the rear doors plus a subwoofer, electric seats with massage, and more - depends if you think those things are worth the extra every month...
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 pm From what you've said, I'd go for 150kW Family or 150kW Max, you wouldn't need the extra range of the Tour for that commute.

The Max gives you the heads-up display, speakers in the rear doors plus a subwoofer, electric seats with massage, and more - depends if you think those things are worth the extra every month...

Appreciate everyones input.

I'd stump for the max probably, being in there for an hour each way I'd want it to feel nice inside :)
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

May I ask why most are saying not to go for the 77kw battery?

Is this a weight trade off? As in, not much point in lumping the heavier battery around if I don't need the extra capacity anyway?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

JonnyRad wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:32 pm May I ask why most are saying not to go for the 77kw battery?

Is this a weight trade off? As in, not much point in lumping the heavier battery around if I don't need the extra capacity anyway?

Cost and weight?

There are a couple of other limitations of the Tour spec - there is no middle seat in the rear, and the transport hitch kit cannot be fitted (either at the factory, or later) - but you do get alloy wheels as standard.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

The Tour trades some equipment for range compared to the Max (for example the glass roof, the adaptive suspension and a fifth rear seat and seatbelt) as the battery is heavier.

If you don't have a use case for the extra range, and I think most would say from your description that you don't, then why lose the kit ? And also I'll mention again that the Tour is a 4 seater, with 4 seatbelts, unlike the rest of the range, as this can matter quite a lot if ever you need to put 5 people in the vehicle.

If you feel you absolutely need or want the largest possible range then your only option is the Tour, with potentially an added heat pump if you wanted to do everything possible to lengthen the legs of the vehicle (I wouldn't recommend a heat pump personally at the price VW is trying to charge, but others swear by them)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Utumno wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm The Tour trades some equipment for range compared to the Max (for example the glass roof, the adaptive suspension and a fifth rear seat and seatbelt) as the battery is heavier.

If you don't have a use case for the extra range, and I think most would say from your description that you don't, then why lose the kit ? And also I'll mention again that the Tour is a 4 seater, with 4 seatbelts, unlike the rest of the range, as this can matter quite a lot if ever you need to put 5 people in the vehicle.

If you feel you absolutely need or want the largest possible range then your only option is the Tour, with potentially an added heat pump if you wanted to do everything possible to lengthen the legs of the vehicle (I wouldn't recommend a heat pump personally at the price VW is trying to charge, but others swear by them)
FYI you can now specify the adaptive suspension and steering on the Tour....just not the one I ordered.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Budget for paint too, unless you're a fan of flat grey.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten