Hello - and one query!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
astro-L

Post by astro-L »

I have just joined the forum although I do not yet have an EV. However, the ID3 is currently leading my list of possibles.

One query: I have seen and read about (apparent) facilities included on the models but I am not sure how they are updated in real-time. When you are driving, using SatNav, you need to know where charging stations are at various points along the route. How does the car get this info? I am wondering whether there is a cost to paying for a smart phone to keep a line open for several hours in order to receive updated data (such as that seen on some YouTube videos) or whether the car's own systems can receive this data independently? Have I explained that query OK?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Lawrence H

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The car has its own 4G connection. The chargers suggested by the VW satnav are only a small portion of those actually available. Some use Zapmap on their phone, I aim for Moto services when on the motorway on a long journey. There are lots of option, not just in the car itself.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
astro-L

Post by astro-L »

Thank you! Does this 4G connection work from day one - or does it require a paid for Sim card? Please forgive my newbie queries but the whole idea of a car having an apparently independent connection point seems amazing. The YouTube videos make no comment on whether a separate subscription is required. I have been trying to build up a full understanding of the costs involved in running an EV. FWIW my first car was bought back in 1966! I do understand about ZapMap though that does seem to require an independent subscription - so would need to be costed.
Many thanks :-)
Lawrence H
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It works on its own, no further subscription required. Its to facilitate the car's own over the air updates and satnav. You can't use it for your personal data usage though.

TimF

Post by TimF »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:37 am It works on its own, no further subscription required. Its to facilitate the car's own over the air updates and satnav. You can't use it for your personal data usage though.
I'm pretty sure the free service runs for only 3 years, but I'm not aware of any current information on how much will be charged thereafter.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TimF wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:44 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:37 am It works on its own, no further subscription required. Its to facilitate the car's own over the air updates and satnav. You can't use it for your personal data usage though.
I'm pretty sure the free service runs for only 3 years, but I'm not aware of any current information on how much will be charged thereafter.
They only guarantee to provide the service for 3 years. Reality is that they'll probably keep it up indefinitely - the battery has an 8 year warranty and if they want to tweak thermal management or some other parameter at 5 years old to make the battery perform better and avoid a warranty claim on the battery, they won't be charging you for it.

My Dad still has access to Nav updates for his 8 year old Golf GTD.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astro-L

Post by astro-L »

Thank you all so much.

Lawrence H
TimF

Post by TimF »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:52 am
They only guarantee to provide the service for 3 years. Reality is that they'll probably keep it up indefinitely - the battery has a 3 year warranty and if they want to tweak thermal management or some other parameter at 5 years old to make the battery perform better and avoid a warranty claim on the battery, they won't be charging you for it.

Good to know, thanks.

Our ID3 battery has a 10 year warranty.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Typo - 8 year battery warranty in the UK.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Welcome to the forum Astro-L.
Its a great car.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TimF wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am

They only guarantee to provide the service for 3 years. Reality is that they'll probably keep it up indefinitely - the battery has a 3 year warranty and if they want to tweak thermal management or some other parameter at 5 years old to make the battery perform better and avoid a warranty claim on the battery, they won't be charging you for it.

Good to know, thanks.

10 year warranty? Are you in the UK?
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:53 am The car has its own 4G connection. The chargers suggested by the VW satnav are only a small portion of those actually available. Some use Zapmap on their phone, I aim for Moto services when on the motorway on a long journey. There are lots of option, not just in the car itself.
Looking at your member name, I think I may have grown up very close to where you are from :D

I'm very interested in the whole process about charging on the road. Do you need a particular app or card to use Moto Service charging stations?
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

durhamlad wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:27 pm
I'm very interested in the whole process about charging on the road. Do you need a particular app or card to use Moto Service charging stations?
The only public charger I have used was a PodPoint where you could either pay using credit on your app or just swipe a credit card like you would in a shop. This was a rapid charger at Tesco.
I'm sure I read somewhere that in the future all chargers must have a standard credit card swipe on them as an option rather than having to be via an app. Of course I could have dreamed all of this :D
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Splash-Man wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:57 pm
durhamlad wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:27 pm
The only public charger I have used was a PodPoint where you could either pay using credit on your app or just swipe a credit card like you would in a shop. This was a rapid charger at Tesco.
I'm sure I read somewhere that in the future all chargers must have a standard credit card swipe on them as an option rather than having to be via an app. Of course I could have dreamed all of this :D
Nice to know. I'll have to start looking for charging companies - Pod Point is obviously one I'll sign up for if they are in Tesco stores.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

This might be worth a read as it explain how charges might be different between app and contactless payments.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... yment-2020
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Splash-Man wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:03 pm This might be worth a read as it explain how charges might be different between app and contactless payments.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... yment-2020
Excellent - thanks.
Order number 31316***
TimF

Post by TimF »

Scratch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:50 pm
TimF wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am

Good to know, thanks.

10 year warranty? Are you in the UK?
Ooops, memory fault! 8 years (or 160,000km if earlier). Which is still pretty good? My attitude to warranties is that the manufacturer wouldn't offer them if they thought they'd need to pay up very often, so the chances of there being a problem within the warranty limits should be small. I find it impressive that in less than a decade the BEV market has gone from Nissan offering lease deals on the Leaf with 100-odd mile range when new (with a 7500 mile/year limit for the lowest 3-year lease charge of £70/month) to most manufacturers offering 200+mile range and 8-year battery warranty.