Hello from Burgess Hill, Sussex.

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
I-D-Annajones

Post by I-D-Annajones »

Hello one and all.
Currently I don’t own an ID3, but I am seriously considering ordering one. I have read some of the posts regarding new ownership of various models. If I outline my requirements, hopefully someone will be able to steer me the right direction.
I live in Burgess Hill, Sussex and work at Gatwick Airport. My commute is 42 miles (21 there and back) made up of urban roads a bit of dual carriageway and then motorway. Apart from that, I make occasional trips to Chichester (about 40 miles away) and local trips to the shops. My annual mileage is about 15,000. Recently Gatwick have installed some chargers in one of the staff car parks, plus Gridserve are building a hub near the South Terminal which will open in 2022. So charging is not an issue, but I will, for the time being, only be able to use a granny charger at home.
I currently drive a 2019 VW Polo 1.0 85BHP, which I have to say is a bit gutless, especially when trying to merge with traffic when entering the motorway or dual carriageway. So I require something that accelerates a bit quicker. There’s just me and my wife and two mini Schnauzers to occasional transport.
My questions are,
Which ID3 battery size would best suit my needs, 45kw or 58kw (I don’t think the 77kw is necessary for me)?
Should I get a heat pump? If so, apart from the price, what are the pros and cons?
Do ID3s have to be connected to a charger/mains electrical supply, to be able to use the remote/timed heat up facility?

Any information or knowledge would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Happy New Year.

steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I would go for the pro performance with a 58kw battery. Heat pump may save a few miles of range but much more complicated so may be unreliable long term. You can set the pre-heat anywhere but it will knock a few miles off the range. We have similar commutes with chargers at home and work so never worry about range.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

58 sounds ideal. They aren’t taking orders for 45 at the moment.

Don’t bother with the heat pump, not with a 58 and those typical journeys.

Pre-hearing can be done whether plugged in or not - worth it to get into a nice warm/cool car even when not plugged in, or to maximise your range if you can do it when the car is charging.
I-D-Annajones

Post by I-D-Annajones »

Thank you, for your replies. Very useful insight, I am very grateful. 👍
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I-D-Annajones wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:22 am Hello one and all.
Currently I don’t own an ID3, but I am seriously considering ordering one. I have read some of the posts regarding new ownership of various models. If I outline my requirements, hopefully someone will be able to steer me the right direction.
I live in Burgess Hill, Sussex and work at Gatwick Airport. My commute is 42 miles (21 there and back) made up of urban roads a bit of dual carriageway and then motorway. Apart from that, I make occasional trips to Chichester (about 40 miles away) and local trips to the shops. My annual mileage is about 15,000. Recently Gatwick have installed some chargers in one of the staff car parks, plus Gridserve are building a hub near the South Terminal which will open in 2022. So charging is not an issue, but I will, for the time being, only be able to use a granny charger at home.
I currently drive a 2019 VW Polo 1.0 85BHP, which I have to say is a bit gutless, especially when trying to merge with traffic when entering the motorway or dual carriageway. So I require something that accelerates a bit quicker. There’s just me and my wife and two mini Schnauzers to occasional transport.
My questions are,
Which ID3 battery size would best suit my needs, 45kw or 58kw (I don’t think the 77kw is necessary for me)?
Should I get a heat pump? If so, apart from the price, what are the pros and cons?
Do ID3s have to be connected to a charger/mains electrical supply, to be able to use the remote/timed heat up facility?

Any information or knowledge would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Happy New Year.
We have a Peugeot e208 currently and have an ID3 on order with the 77kW battery for longer distance trips. To give you an idea, the e208 has a 50kW battery so, quite a bit smaller than the 58kW ID3. I did a 105 mile trip around the M25/A2 to East London and back to Banstead today in 10 degrees C, rain, on a mix of motorway and 50/40mph dual carriageway. Left with nearly full battery and arrived back with 30%. I think the 58kW ID3 would be ample for the journeys you have described.

I pre heated mine this morning from the mains but like most EVs you can do that without plugging in providing you have sufficient charge.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
I-D-Annajones

Post by I-D-Annajones »

Thank you. 👍
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Hi from Crawley I have an ID.3 pro performance 58kwh Family with east Derry alloys and a heatpump on order from Gatwick Volkswagen. At the time of ordering the 77kwh was over the limit for a government grant, heavier & slower and only had 4 seats. I use Y car park which has reserved parking for EV & Hybrids but often occupied by ICE cars. When I take delivery I’ll be getting onto GAL for enforcement. Further afield if I visit my daughter in Merseyside I calculate an 18 minute Instavolt charge next to a Costa coffee in Banbury and I’m planning a road trip to Switzerland & Tuscany next summer! Good luck with choosing. ATB
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

tomstring wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:05 am Further afield if I visit my daughter in Merseyside I calculate an 18 minute Instavolt charge next to a Costa coffee in Banbury

InstaVolt Banbury is an excellent facility, we live reasonably nearby (10 minutes off the next M40 junction headed south) and it has been the rapid charging facility of choice for EV owners visiting us. Way better than struggling with Warwick or Cherwell Valley services.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Utumno wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 am
tomstring wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:05 am Further afield if I visit my daughter in Merseyside I calculate an 18 minute Instavolt charge next to a Costa coffee in Banbury

InstaVolt Banbury is an excellent facility, we live reasonably nearby (10 minutes off the next M40 junction headed south) and it has been the rapid charging facility of choice for EV owners visiting us. Way better than struggling with Warwick or Cherwell Valley services.
Seconded! It's just a shame there are no facilities there if you've stopped after the Costa next door has closed (it's only open to 6pm I think). But the actual charging setup is great. If only the ecotricity / electric highway chargers at service stations were anywhere near as good.

I stopped off at Banbury on my first long-distance run, having tried Warwick southbound first, only to find one CCS / Chademo charger which was out of service, and another which would only give 7kw on the type 2 connector (free vend at least, but that was scant compensation).
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

A pretty typical EV charge experience at both Warwick and Cherwell, I’m told.

If you go a little further out from the M40 there’s a shopping centre with 12x Superchargers; Osprey are building a small charging hub there at the moment. The centre itself is a sod to get into at busy times but it has a much wider range of facilities open later, should you find yourself in the area and charging after 6pm.

I wouldn’t wish the current motorway charging experience on my worst enemy given the stories from friends and family. Hopefully this will improve over the next few years.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'm planning to use Banbury Instavolt or the new Osprey one when visiting the in-laws (Liverpool-->Southampton.) Last time we visited in December we stopped at Warwick and I saw 4 EVs fighting over the 1 AC and 1 broken ecotricity, calling the helpline in a failed attempt to get the second one working. I wanted to stop and tell them to go somewhere else but wasn't sure they would take it well, especially since I was in a diesel!

From some research (I think I might be slightly lucky) it seems that apart from N Wales or Scotland I should be able to get almost anywhere in the country without straying from locations that take contactless (Instavolt/Osprey/MFG/Gridserve) and have 4+ chargers. I did the north Wales run in my diesel last week and found 5 chargers that claimed to be working and available as I drove past them (2 broken.) I might find it's all a lot harder than it should be, but at the moment I'm feeling confident...)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Thanks everyone for advice on Instavolt Banbury. I understand they are going to increase the number of chargers there. We normally stop at Cherwell Services in our ICE Ateca but will switch to Banbury when the ID.3 arrives.