Ordered ID.3 Family Pro Performance

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here

Post by 4810510 »

Hi

Currently driving a diesel T-Roc SEL (my first VW) and I love it to bits, lease is up in April and couldn't order a new one so opted for an ID.3. Order placed at the end of November and at the time the lease company said end of May for delivery. Reading here it looks like there's no chance of that happening but I'm looking forward to my first EV. I live in a flat so can't charge at home so can't wait to see how that works out :o

Malcster

Post by Malcster »

4810510 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm Hi

Currently driving a diesel T-Roc SEL (my first VW) and I love it to bits, lease is up in April and couldn't order a new one so opted for an ID.3. Order placed at the end of November and at the time the lease company said end of May for delivery. Reading here it looks like there's no chance of that happening but I'm looking forward to my first EV. I live in a flat so can't charge at home so can't wait to see how that works out :o
You must have balls of steel if you have no access to a home charger

Hopefully you can charge at work

Good luck with the current state/cost of public charging otherwise

Personally I wanted an ev a few years back but couldn't rely on charging network then and had no drive

We moved last year to a bigger house with a drive and it's the first thing I did was buy an ev and charger box
Family pro
Derry alloys
Infotainment plus
Stonewashed
Order no 3150@@@@
Order date 17/10/2021
Build date
Delivery date
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Good luck. I’ve same car on order. Wouldn’t worry too much about chargers, there’s over 45,000 in the U.K.
Malcster

Post by Malcster »

tomstring wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:22 am Good luck. I’ve same car on order. Wouldn’t worry too much about chargers, there’s over 45,000 in the U.K.
And currently
370000+ EVs to share those 45000 charging ponts
Not trying to scare op off but unless you can charge elsewhere regular be prepared for a struggle at times
Family pro
Derry alloys
Infotainment plus
Stonewashed
Order no 3150@@@@
Order date 17/10/2021
Build date
Delivery date
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

4810510 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm Hi

I’d check out Zap-map for local chargers and plan some charging options. Many public chargers are often out of service or occupied and nothing dampens EV ownership enthusiasm like walking for miles in the rain.

Oh and I think your quoted 6 month lead time is a bit optimistic. It’s been nearly 6 months from point of order now for me and I haven’t had a meaningful update from the dealership since September.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I didn’t have a home charger for months - and only had intermittent access to it then. So relied on public chargers. It was easy - but you needed to be prepared to try a couple.

Many cities now have networks of fairly cheap to use (some free) council run charges.

You can graze on supermarket chargers for free - and I used rapid chargers at Tesco and Aldi/Lidl run by podpoint that we’re only 27p per kWh.

Then a 8 charger MFG EV only station was built 4 miles away. An easy fallback option.

There’s a lot of scare stories about public chargers - usually from those who hardly ever use them - it’s fine but be prepared to plan a little.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I have had my ID.3 for a year now and don't have a home charger. I have managed OK but I am not working so I am able to take time out to charge which might not be so easy otherwise. You do need to think ahead and best to have options of where to charge. I was going to say I have low mileage, but I have done over 10K in the year. Most weeks I only need to charge once though, especially in the summer when the temperatures enabled better range.
Since I bought the car there have been more and faster public chargers installed and this will continue. The number of EV drivers has also increased though, and it is starting to get busier at the public chargers I use most. I do worry that at some point the growth in EV drivers will be such that the growth in public chargers isn't able to keep up. The price of a charge is also increasing and home charging would be a better financial option.
I didn't get a home charger when i got the car because I was selling my house, which took a lot longer than I expected. I am now in rented temporarily, so no charger here either. Otherwise I would have definitely got a home charger.

Post by 4810510 »

Thanks for the helpful replies. My colleague ordered an ID.4 so we'll be installing charge points at work. I live in a city with reasonable charging points, although I've noticed the on street ones are busier.

Guess my steel balls will match the 70s throwback steel wheels on my ID.4. I'm hoping it'll be hear by September!