Follow up of an ID.3 version 22.5 in Germany

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mister MMT

Post by Mister MMT »

Hello, I've ordered on 29th of November 2021 an ID.3 Pro Performance with all the enhancements and assistants of the MY22.5. I'm reading/viewing everything I can find in the principal forums in Germany, France, and the UK. I'm originating from Ghent in Belgium, but have lived/worked 11 years in Paris and since 2015 in Kehl, the border town next to Strasbourg in the South-West of Germany.

We own two cars: A Mondeo Hybrid forum 2014 and an e-Up! 32 kWh since May 2020. The latter is charged > 95 % from our PV system (9.4 kWp + 8.8 kWh battery) and we love it! The Mondeo is an excellent "Autobahn" car. From next fall, we will both be retired and only need one car, which will have to combine the qualities of our present ones. I value in particular the low noise levels and good comfort of the Mondeo while driving on highways.

The ID.3 has an estimated Q4/2020 delivery time, which is fine for us. We test-drove it 3 times and choose it for its polyvalence, driving qualities, and compactness. It will get 18" all-weather Cross Climate tires.

I'm curious to find out which MY we will get in the end, and it is very interesting to read the experiences of the users reporting here. I'm also curious to find pictures of the MY22.5 enhancements, largely lacking today.

Best regards from the beautiful Black Forest region!

Jan
Last edited by Mister MMT on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-Up! Style 32kWh since February 2020
ID.3 Pro Performance since December 2022

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Welcome to the forum.. love the Black Forest, and really missing it and over the last couple of years.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mister MMT wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 am Hello, I've ordered on 29th of November 2021 an ID.3 Pro Performance with all the enhancements and assistants of the MY22.5. I'm reading/viewing everything I can find in the principal forums in Germany, France, and the UK. I'm originating from Ghent in Belgium, but have lived/worked 11 years in Paris and since 2015 in Kehl, the border town next to Strasbourg in the South-West of Germany.

We own two cars: A Mondeo Hybrid forum 2014 and an e-Up! 32 kWh since May 2020. The latter is charged > 95 % from our PV system (9.4 kWp + 8.8 kWh battery) and we love it! The Mondeo is an excellent "Autobahn" car. From next fall, we will both be retired and only need one car, which will have to combine the qualities of our present ones. I value in particular the low noise levels and good comfort of the Mondeo while driving on highways.

The ID.3 has an estimated Q4/2020 delivery time, which is fine for us. We test-drove it 3 times and choose it for its polyvalence, driving qualities, and compactness. It will get 18" all-weather Cross Climate tires.

I'm curious to find out which MY we will get in the end, and it is very interesting to read the experiences of the users reporting here. I'm also curious to find pictures of the MY22.5 enhancements, largely lacking today.

Jan
Polyvalence! That’s a word you don’t see used much on car forums.
Hope you enjoy your ID3 - when you get it.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Mister MMT wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 am Hello, I've ordered on 29th of November 2021 an ID.3 Pro Performance with all the enhancements and assistants of the MY22.5. I'm reading/viewing everything I can find in the principal forums in Germany, France, and the UK. I'm originating from Ghent in Belgium, but have lived/worked 11 years in Paris and since 2015 in Kehl, the border town next to Strasbourg in the South-West of Germany.

Jan

Welcome ! Quick question though :
Mister MMT wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 am The ID.3 has an estimated Q4/2020 delivery time

Is that a typo and the estimation is Q4/2022 instead ?
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Mister MMT

Post by Mister MMT »

Sorry and thanks, but it is of course Q4/2022. It's not better in Germany...

Jan
Mister MMT

Post by Mister MMT »

Hello, our ID.3 has been delivered to the VW dealer in Kehl, Germany, in the night of 29 to 30.12 after exactly 13 months, and handed over to us the same day at around 7:00 P.M..

The intro went smoothly, including the OTA of the SW 3.2. The 18-inch CrossClimate SUV tires delivered by me were fitted free of charge as agreed and the Goodyear summer tires will be stored in the dealership. A set of floor mats were donated. WeConncetID works normally. It has a 12" display and SW 3.2.

The first impression is very good. The handling of the many functions still needs to be practiced, but I think I'll get used to it quickly. The 12-inch display is pleasing and also fits well visually. The HUD is just great. A good sitting position was quickly found. We will soon make our first long trip on the "Autobahn". I will report back then.

20230102_124042_HDR.jpg

20230102_114554_HDR.jpg

20230102_114634_HDR.jpg

20230102_123005.jpg

20230102_123026_HDR.jpg

20230102_123217.jpg

20230102_123954.jpg

20230102_124216.jpg

20230102_124447.jpg

20230102_124646_HDR.jpg

Some of the pictures illustrate changes that came with Model year 22.5, but my car is a model 2023 before the facelift that is announced for next spring.

Jan
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

Nice!! Thankyou for sharing the pictures.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Enjoy! Nice pictures thank you.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
ranxzy

Post by ranxzy »

Looks great.
Week 47 22 built Family Pro
Moonstone Grey
East Derrys
Mister MMT

Post by Mister MMT »

Hello,

I am now able to give you a more complete assessment, after 1934 km comprising a big city (Nürnberg) with very heavy traffic and an underground car park with very narrow slots, all kinds of roads, including steep mountain roads, and a few trips on the motorway with fast recharges with temperatures around 0°C and the battery at less than 5°C. I invite you to read my other contributions in this thread, to get an overview.

The ID.3 is my first computer-like vehicle on wheels, and it took me a while to get used to it. It should be noted that it came from the factory with version 3.2, which is so far stable and runs quickly and smoothly. When starting up, everything happens almost entirely automatically depending on the driver and his or her settings: unlocking on approach, positioning of the electric seat, chassis and steering settings, powertrain and ACC response, choice of driving aids being activated, color and intensity of the ambient light, and I forget some. Simply select the driver after operating the brake pedal and take your seat.

The highlights of this BEV are :
The drivetrain has immediate torque, is more than powerful enough, and is easy to control.
The rigid chassis and running gear make for a safe and comfortable ride (also thanks to the DCC in our example).
The surprisingly spacious interior in relation to its length
The braking, which alternates between regenerative and hydraulic braking, is sufficiently natural and powerful.
Yes, the ID.3 is heavy, and you can feel it when cornering and accelerating. But the 18-inch CrossClimate SUVs, inflated to 2.7, provide excellent lateral support and live up to my expectations in terms of ride noise and comfort.
Silence up to 100 km/h. Only on rough surfaces and on motorways would I have wished for even more soundproofing. The noise is distributed fairly evenly, which makes it bearable.
The screen behind the steering wheel now displays a lot of useful information. I like it a lot, but the equally enhanced HUD and the dynamic navigation indications win out.
I use the central screen to display the map, the rearview camera and 360° area view when maneuvering, or the air conditioning settings. The addition of matte protectors has improved their readability.

I'm happy with some of the following features, which also have their weak points:

The availability of the optional Travel Assist was for me crucial when choosing. It can be combined with the recognition of speed limit signs, the anticipation of slowing down when approaching them, and the re-establishment of speed after they have ended. This works almost perfectly on the motorway, but there are still sporadic slowdowns for no reason. You must therefore be ready at all times to remedy this by changing the speed using the steering wheel control. Previously, the speed was always reset to 130 km/h when the car was relaunched, but with version 3.x it is possible to select another speed, e.g. 120 km/h, which will be maintained at each relaunch.

On national and regional roads, which are limited to 100 km/h in Germany, these couplings are more problematic. In Germany, there is a constant alternation of 70, 50 and even 30 km/h limits, and the slowing down before a curve is not always optimal and also too early. In addition, the system systematically resets to 100 km/h, which is too fast in many cases. Moreover, these atypical speed changes differ from those of many other users, making them potentially dangerous. To remedy this in part, I use the vertical sweep to quickly add or remove 10km/h increments, but this still reduces the enjoyment. I will continue to refine my technique.

You have to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop, so there is no 100% "one pedal" mode. However, the B mode proved to be compatible with driving with little brake pedal use and when descending a hill. The Auto Hold function keeps the car stationary, even on a slope. The Stop & Go function of the ACC also allows the car to come to a complete stop behind a vehicle that was being followed.

Negative aspects:

The visibility hampered in left-hand curves by the double A-pillar is for us THE main point of criticism.
The "cold-gate" of the battery limiting the power of recharging is criticized by many but does not bother us as much. It would be nice if VW would introduce battery cooling when approaching a charging station.
The increase in consumption in cold weather.

Other points:

The navigation works well and shows the charging stations in the area, with their provided power and availability. For the trip to Nürnberg, I had planned the charging stops myself, as I use a charging card that gives me good rates (49 cents/kW instead of 79 in DC) as long as I avoid Ionity and Tesla. So I used ChargeMap to find stations from other providers with a large number of HPC chargers. ABRP would have guided me to Ionity a little further away. Overall, this worked very well, as our hotel also had an 11 kW AC charger.

I use Tronity to keep track of our journeys, recharges, consumptions, and costs. To date, our ID.3 has traveled 1934 km, including about 850 km on the motorway at 120/125 km/h max. Its average consumption is 19 kW/h, due to the all-season tires and the cold temperatures. The AC/DC ratio of the recharges is 71%/29% for a total cost of 163 € making up for 8.4 €/100 km. A trip in the Black Forest with an ascent and descent of a pass with a difference in altitude of 750 m at 11 °C resulted in 15.5 kWh/100 km.

The ID3 is a compact, very maneuverable, spacious, and versatile BEV, which allows the abundant use of Type 2 autonomous driving. Our well-equipped example meets our specifications and I am very happy with it. To be continued.

Jan
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Nice review @Jan.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Nice review. I suspect you'll get used to the A pillar eventually, I have, but I agree it's a bit annoying. You need to lean slightly to get a good view in some corners.
Interesting that your other negatives (cold weather effects) could be said of almost any BEV. Let's hope they introduce optional pre heating for chargers.
I also like the navigation and charger visibility in the nav, but I have found that the route planning function is weak because it picks poor charging sites. There are a lot of smaller sites in the UK that it's necessary to filter out, but the navigation system doesn't currently allow you to do this. Perhaps in Germany the quality of charging sites is more consistent?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mister MMT

Post by Mister MMT »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:52 am I also like the navigation and charger visibility in the nav, but I have found that the route planning function is weak because it picks poor charging sites. There are a lot of smaller sites in the UK that it's necessary to filter out, but the navigation system doesn't currently allow you to do this. Perhaps in Germany the quality of charging sites is more consistent?
I fully agree. That's why I plan the recharging stops offline beforehand, selecting larger sites.

I lack experience with the planning provided by the onboard navigation. From what I read, the quality of the charging sites in Germany, along major highways, is variable too, but in my case, I also pay attention to which operator is at hand, because for some of them (EnBw, Aral Pulse, Shell) my Maingau card provides me with a cheaper tariff. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Ionity and Tesla, which outnumber those.

Jan