New order placed in Derbyshire

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
helen138

Post by helen138 »

Hi everyone,

We've been reading lots of forum threads in the lead up to us placing the order, thanks for all the useful info!

We ordered through drivethedeal.com on Tuesday and received confirmation that the order had been placed by the dealership today. Our local dealer told us 40 weeks to delivery and DTD said 35 so we're expecting October time. At least we'll have plenty of time to get ready, we have electricians coming to quote for fitting a charger so that we can get it done before the grant runs out. Any recommendations on chargers to go for or avoid?

Thanks
Helen
ID3 Max Pro Performance 58kWh, moonstone grey with bike preparation
Ordered 21 January 2022 - 3202xxxx
Delivery scheduled 4 May 2023
Derbyshire

Uphamid3

Post by Uphamid3 »

Hi Helen and welcome to the forum! I too went with DTD and was quoted 30 weeks back in October, so hoping for late April/early May - but haven't had a build date confirmed yet - fingers crossed.

I haven't organised my charger yet - but was thinking of Pod-Point, but only because they are recommended by VW, I like the look of them, and my local electrician who I use all the time is a registered Pod Point installer and has installed quite a few. However, I'm sure there are plenty of more knowledgeable users on the forum with plots of day-to-day experience so I will be following this thread too to see what they think!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi Helen
Welcome to the forum.
A long wait but worth it and sensible to get your charger organised.
I went with the Pod Point Solo. I had some installation difficulties but this would have been the case whoever I went with. I chose the Solo as I thought it was the neatest of tethered units and I'm really pleased with it. Scheduling on my Octopus Go tariff is a doddle.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

helen138 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:57 pm Hi everyone,

We've been reading lots of forum threads in the lead up to us placing the order, thanks for all the useful info!

We ordered through drivethedeal.com on Tuesday and received confirmation that the order had been placed by the dealership today. Our local dealer told us 40 weeks to delivery and DTD said 35 so we're expecting October time. At least we'll have plenty of time to get ready, we have electricians coming to quote for fitting a charger so that we can get it done before the grant runs out. Any recommendations on chargers to go for or avoid?

Thanks
Helen

You’ll probably find charger recommendations being what each person on the forum ended up installing themselves 😀

We installed an Andersen A2, mostly because SWMBO’s OCD required it (it’s very discreet and when not charging a car absolutely no cables are on display). Had I not had my ear bent about the aesthetics by the OH we would likely have gone with a Hypervolt.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 pm Hi Helen
Welcome to the forum.
A long wait but worth it and sensible to get your charger organised.
I went with the Pod Point Solo. I had some installation difficulties but this would have been the case whoever I went with. I chose the Solo as I thought it was the neatest of tethered units and I'm really pleased with it. Scheduling on my Octopus Go tariff is a doddle.
Dave

Crikey, that “PodPoint Solo 3” 7kW pricing on PodPoint’s website! £949 installed? That’s getting on for Andersen territory.

Is the charger itself high enough quality to be justifying that kind of price? I’ve been mentally putting PodPoint and Ohme in the same bracket but clearly PodPoint think they can charge near double what Ohme are. Either I’ve got the wrong impression of PodPoint’s charger quality or they’re being optimistic with the pricing!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Is that price without the grant?
I paid £595 in November.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think it must be without the grant as they are saying all install slots are booked until the end of March and no grant available after that.
The Anderson would be a good buy right now if the grant is available on them.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Price seems to be without the grant, which is fair enough. I am clearly out of touch a bit here - simply removing the grant from (for example) Octopus’s “cheap” Ohme Home Pro deal puts it at £895 installed which is easy touching distance of the Solo 3.

Glad I got the Andersen in when I did, despite the car not being here yet!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

craig

Post by craig »

I went with hypervolt very pleased with it also has solar settings good app and great customer service
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
helen138

Post by helen138 »

Thanks all,

Our local installers do makes that I've not seen talked about much anywhere which is a bit concerning - EO, ProjectEV and Rolec. Does anyone have any experience of those? I'll take a look at the Andersen and Hypervolt ones in case we can find an installer, thanks.
Derbyshire
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ve got a ProjectEV one. Never used it though so can’t really comment on functionality, but I think it looks quite neat.

Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Nice stonework 👍
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Griff

Post by Griff »

helen138 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:02 am Thanks all,

Our local installers do makes that I've not seen talked about much anywhere which is a bit concerning - EO, ProjectEV and Rolec. Does anyone have any experience of those? I'll take a look at the Andersen and Hypervolt ones in case we can find an installer, thanks.
I have just had a PodPoint installed this week (not used it yet). They have their own installers (installation is included in the price) so you don't need to be limited by your local company.
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Utumno wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:00 am Nice stonework 👍
Thanks! They were a real labour of love for the stonemasons, and throughly fascinating to see being build.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
helen138

Post by helen138 »

andrewparker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:43 am I’ve got a ProjectEV one. Never used it though so can’t really comment on functionality, but I think it looks quite neat.

Thanks for the photo, your lovely wall is the same colour as our house and it looks good. The electrician who fits those has just been to do a survey. He said he's not sure how to provide proof of having an electric vehicle when it's still on order. What did you have to provide is the order number enough?
Derbyshire
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

helen138 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:24 pm
andrewparker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:43 am I’ve got a ProjectEV one. Never used it though so can’t really comment on functionality, but I think it looks quite neat.

Thanks for the photo, your lovely wall is the same colour as our house and it looks good. The electrician who fits those has just been to do a survey. He said he's not sure how to provide proof of having an electric vehicle when it's still on order. What did you have to provide is the order number enough?

My dealer sent me a PDF of the “Vehicle Order Form”, and I provided that to my installer as proof. Was all fine.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

An example of why the changer grant was ended I suppose.

Now it is focused on lease hold property like flats… what could possibly go wrong 😂
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
IDontknow

Post by IDontknow »

Hi Helen,

We went for a Hypervolt. Finally got to put it to use at the end of December and we're really happy so far. Super straightforward to use and doesn't look obtrusive.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Sadly I didn’t know anything about the grant when we had it installed. We rebuilt an 18th century Grade II cowshed, converting it to a 4 bedroom cottage, and part of the planning stipulations was that we had an EV charger installed, although we weren’t allowed to mount it on any external wall of the house, so it went on the other side of the drive way. It’s done us a favour really because beforehand we’d never considered getting an EV.

I don’t particularly agree with the grants to be honest, feels a lot like giving money to the well off.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

andrewparker wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Sadly I didn’t know anything about the grant when we had it installed. We rebuilt an 18th century Grade II cowshed, converting it to a 4 bedroom cottage, and part of the planning stipulations was that we had an EV charger installed, although we weren’t allowed to mount it on any external wall of the house, so it went on the other side of the drive way. It’s done us a favour really because beforehand we’d never considered getting an EV.

I don’t particularly agree with the grants to be honest, feels a lot like giving money to the well off.
I think the problem with the grants is that it’s actually pushing up installation charges. They were probably a good idea to start with but I’m not convinced they are doing much good now.

I had the grant on my charger and the guy did a good job and I’m happy with it but I’m not convinced it was even approaching good value for money. He was here 4 hours, it was a straight forward installation, no Earth rod needed no additional consumer unit required etc and it effectively cost £390. Take off the cost of the cable and junction box at say £90 then that’s £75 a hour.

The charger and installation you have looks really smart!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L