Collecting our 1st EV on Wednesday

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:01 pm
Dinno Dave wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:55 pm I’m in the local Tesco every other day, so makes sense to use their full facilities.

If you’re in the store for 20 minutes you’ll add 8-10 miles of range to the car, which could have cost you maybe 15p charging at home - not worth faffing about with cables for…
Every little helps 😁
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:15 pm
Dinno Dave wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:55 pm I’m in the local Tesco every other day, so makes sense to use their full facilities.

If you’re in the store for 20 minutes you’ll add 8-10 miles of range to the car, which could have cost you maybe 15p charging at home - not worth faffing about with cables for…
Every little helps 😁

Little being the operative word there…
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Some people here would skin a turd. 15p electricity further faff of getting your cable out,unfurling it, plugging in, unplugging, coiling it all back up to get into the bag again. It's too much faff for 15p.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:15 pm

Every little helps 😁

Little being the operative word there…

So the take away from this is that people who charge at Tesco shouldn’t charge at Tesco - period.

You’re wrong for charging up fully, but you’re also wrong for charging up for the twenty minutes it takes to shop.

Got it. Makes perfect sense.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I dont understand why this topoc is so emotive. You make a good point about being wrong or worthless to charge. Why cant we just all do what Tesco have allowed to do and get on with it.
Months ago I spoke to the Tesco Customer Service team responsible for the EV network and they confirmed their commitment to make it a free-4-all facility and understood people may only come to charge and not even shop.
I dont think taking a cable out of a bag and putting it back is such a big deal. Its part of EV ownership.
My store is a round 8 mile trip. If I am only there long enough to recoup that its worthwhile
Lets live and let live.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

So if I'm not on the Octopus Go rates (which you can't get now...) and have to pay 25-40p per kwh either at home or on a public charger (no increasingly common) then an hour at Tesco is worth £2-4 in juice. I'm quite happy to take this whilst doing a weekly shop.
Deleted User 192

Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:42 am Months ago I spoke to the Tesco Customer Service team responsible for the EV network and they confirmed their commitment to make it a free-4-all facility and understood people may only come to charge and not even shop.

Tesco and Pod Point both told me they were for Tesco customers to use while shopping in store.

Why people buy a BEV then rely on these chargers is beyond me.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scott you are tarring everyone with the same brush who uses the free charging. Its not necessarly a reliance, more a convienience for most people when they are there.
Maybe we should get a statement on here from Tesco or PodPoint as the feedback you have is contrary to mine. I spoke to the Charging team at Tesco about a charger that had been out of action for 3 weeks and covered their use in that conversation. Tesco said they want to promote more use of the Network knowing they were used by non customers.
It shouldnt attract the negative critism you repeatedly put out.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's all academic anyway as BEV vehicle ownership grows. I'd say the number of BEVs I see locally has trebled in the past 6 months, our local Tescos and Costco chargers are always full, usually occupied by cars on the dear end of the BEV scale at Costco (Mr £90k E-tron RS can't pass up his 35p charge, even though you have to go pester the tyre bay guys to switch you on).

The local charging points used to be plenty for the tiny smattering of EVs I saw a year ago, not now they're not. Dreading my next long drive where I'll be reliant on a fast charger. I queued last time for my second to last charge, and on my last charge I was lucky that the person who'd pulled up to charge couldn't get it to work (but still left her car partially across both spaces), making it awkward, but not impossible to plug in and charge.

We need a rollout of more chargers to match the growing uptake of EVs, especially on Motorway services.

I'd rather leave public free chargers those who don't have offstreet parking, but there's no way I can influence that.

Deleted User 192

Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am Scott you are tarring everyone with the same brush who uses the free charging. Its not necessarly a reliance, more a convienience for most people when they are there.

No I'm not, if you're being a customer at the time then good for you.

But if you leave you car there overnight, or for hours on end while you're at work a 5 minute walk away, that's different.

Some people do rely on them, they expect to be able to use them as if they were their own personal charger, and have factored that in when buying their car in the first place.

We don't have to agree on the topic.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks Monkeyhanger
It is true what you are saying. Maybe those who use them more than you or I; or Scott, dont have off street parking.
I just feel our differences are separated by critism of individuals without knowing their circumstances versus an individuals free choice to use something that Tesco provide for free without being judged.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:07 pm
Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am Scott you are tarring everyone with the same brush who uses the free charging. Its not necessarly a reliance, more a convienience for most people when they are there.

No I'm not, if you're being a customer at the time then good for you.

But if you leave you car there overnight, or for hours on end while you're at work a 5 minute walk away, that's different.

Some people do rely on them, they expect to be able to use them as if they were their own personal charger, and have factored that in when buying their car in the first place.

We don't have to agree on the topic.
How many people leave their cars there overnight really? Do we have any data? I think there has been only one person on this forum who claimed to do that in the year I have been here.
The term of using something free as if you own it may only apply to a handful of people in the whole country.
People who probably go through life like Entitled Karens/Kevins where free charging isn't the only abuse and irritation to others.
I'm defending the principle of personal choice of something that is free and how that suits an individuals circumstances without being judged.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm How many people leave their cars there overnight really? Do we have any data? I think there has been only one person on this forum who claimed to do that in the year I have been here.
The term of using something free as if you own it may only apply to a handful of people in the whole country.
People who probably go through life like Entitled Karens/Kevins where free charging isn't the only abuse and irritation to others.
I'm defending the principle of personal choice of something that is free and how that suits an individuals circumstances without being judged.

Join a few general EV groups if you want to read about more people doing these things than those who have said so here.

Defend whichever strangers you want - they're still doing something they shouldn't.

They're the same kind of people who use blue badge spaces because they're close to the door, or use a parent and child space because they've got their 10 year old kid with them - that sense of entitlement which all too many people have.

As I said, we don't have to agree - happy to sign off on this thread too, we've both made our points.

Hopefully the rest of the members can put their popcorn away now :)
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm Hopefully the rest of the members can put their popcorn away now :)
What before Cherry arrives ? :lol:
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Now you've torn it...
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Sorry the thread got sidetracked Dino Dave.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Splash-Man wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm
scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm Hopefully the rest of the members can put their popcorn away now :)
What before Cherry arrives ? :lol:
Did you just say Betelgeuse? :lol:

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm
Hopefully the rest of the members can put their popcorn away now :)
Thanks for letting us know it's come to an end. I was just about to order some more popcorn, from Tescos, of course... :D
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Deleted User 192

StuartT wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:53 pm Thanks for letting us know it's come to an end. I was just about to order some more popcorn, from Tescos, of course... :D

Plug in while you're there, it's like them giving you 15p off your popcorn.
Dinno Dave

Post by Dinno Dave »

. . . Is it too late to delete the bit about charging at Tesco ???