programmed charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I currently have a Renault ZOE GT135 which I am changing to an ID.3 which I have ordered and hoping to arrive in December, fingers crossed. However a question I have forgotten to ask that hopefully someone here can answer.

I can plug my Zoe into my home charger and in the cars infotainment system I can select whether to charge immediately or select programme. In programme I can set a start and stop time for whenever I wish.

The question is can i programme the ID.3 in the same way ?

Many Thanks

David

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

You can - but it (generally) doesn’t work. It should work but it doesn’t. Some people have got it to work but it seems a bit hit and miss. It might be fixed when yours arrives - it’s been promised for a while…
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

DavidT wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:26 pm I currently have a Renault ZOE GT135 which I am changing to an ID.3 which I have ordered and hoping to arrive in December, fingers crossed. However a question I have forgotten to ask that hopefully someone here can answer.

I can plug my Zoe into my home charger and in the cars infotainment system I can select whether to charge immediately or select programme. In programme I can set a start and stop time for whenever I wish.

The question is can i programme the ID.3 in the same way ?

Many Thanks

David
If your charger has its own timers, you are better off using that.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

If you're not expecting your ID.3 till December then yes the car will have a programmable system as your car will come with software 3.0 which will also have software 2.4.
The 2.4 software which many of us are waiting has the fix for the onboard charging to work correctly.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Newfie wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:24 pm If you're not expecting your ID.3 till December then yes the car will have a programmable system as your car will come with software 3.0 which will also have software 2.4.
The 2.4 software which many of us are waiting has the fix for the onboard charging to work correctly.
It will be interesting to see any success stories (or otherwise) with scheduled charging from people with new cars on 3.0.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

I have a new born and I use scheduled charging without any problems.
Cupra Born V2 in Vapar Grey 58kw
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Betty W wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:15 am I have a new born and I use scheduled charging without any problems.
👍👏👏
Words that have not been heard before on this forum!! 3.0 I’d guess?
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:12 pm
It will be interesting to see any success stories (or otherwise) with scheduled charging from people with new cars on 3.0.
That is what i am waiting see as well. I know "Battery Life" had an ID.3 with 3.0 but he did not go in to great detail about the scheduled charging.

Maybe the guys out there with there new ID.3's with the 3.0 software could try it out for us?
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Newfie wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:24 pm If you're not expecting your ID.3 till December then yes the car will have a programmable system as your car will come with software 3.0 which will also have software 2.4.
I don't believe 2.4 fixes scheduled charging it should alter the battery heating threshold to improve cold weather efficency but given 2.4 to all intents doesn't exist I doubt we'll ever know. At this point surely VW should be coming up with an all in one patch for early cars but I doubt it.

As for new cars, they will have 3.0 or later they shouldn't need 2.4 that would be going backwards, the modules will already be being built with the correct firmware. The longer VW leave the updates the further apart the differences in modules will get until I rather pessimistically feel that they will announce that updates will be limited due to hardware compatibility which if you read the announcement made many months ago is what they stated, not that they would replace modules, just that the updates would always be availale where hardware was compatible.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Cars are being delivered right now with 2.3. My22’s I guess that we’re part built
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:12 am
I don't believe 2.4 fixes scheduled charging it should alter the battery heating threshold to improve cold weather efficency but given 2.4 to all intents doesn't exist I doubt we'll ever know. At this point surely VW should be coming up with an all in one patch for early cars but I doubt it.

As for new cars, they will have 3.0 or later they shouldn't need 2.4 that would be going backwards, the modules will already be being built with the correct firmware. The longer VW leave the updates the further apart the differences in modules will get until I rather pessimistically feel that they will announce that updates will be limited due to hardware compatibility which if you read the announcement made many months ago is what they stated, not that they would replace modules, just that the updates would always be availale where hardware was compatible.
Scheduled charging is definitely *supposed* to be fixed by 2.4.
Once 2.4 is done, 3.0 *should* be easy. 2.4 is essentially preparing the way for it. I hope they have learnt some lessons from the 2.3 rollout.
Stars inserted to recognise these things are never straightforward!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

These were all hoped for with 2.3 etc.. etc… :-/
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

And so the wait goes on............and on.............and on..............
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:04 am These were all hoped for with 2.3 etc.. etc… :-/
I think that was hoped by users rather than ever announced or intended by VW, though, right?
We know the plan is that these issues be fixed in 2.4, from VW. No changes from 2.4 to 3.0 have been announced on this topic. So if new cars with 3.0 now have working scheduled charging, that would give me fairly good confidence (not certainty obvs) that it will work with other cars once they get 2.4.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I don't recall seeing any notification from VW that specifically admits to what is broken, nor any that tells us what the updates fix/add.
The only confirmation of what 2.4 does that I have seen is from Battery Life, and much as I have enjoyed his content, it's increasingly obvious he only gets fed what VW PR want out there, and 2.4 has been redone apparently, so who knows what it will fix?

There's also this idea that new cars will get 2.4 and then 3.0 surely that's not how software upgrades work, the newest version is 3.0 or whatever, anything that worked in previous versions should be included. The reality is that what VW call 2.3, 2.4 and 3.0 are just release names and they are all updating different modules. e.g. redefining the heater threshold temps is not a software update it's a firmware update for that control module.

Let's see what yesterday's announcement brings.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes - I didn’t think 2.4 brought anything new to the game apart from the ability to update OTA to 3.0.

The module change - that those with 2.3 from the factory seem to have - included the revised battery heating thresholds and faster dc charging.

Is there anyone who went 2.1>2.3 and has seen 125kw charging on the 58kwh battery?

Happy to be wrong if I’ve missed anything (quite likely!).
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

MotMot wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:30 am Yes - I didn’t think 2.4 brought anything new to the game apart from the ability to update OTA to 3.0.

The module change - that those with 2.3 from the factory seem to have - included the revised battery heating thresholds and faster dc charging.

Is there anyone who went 2.1>2.3 and has seen 125kw charging on the 58kwh battery?

Happy to be wrong if I’ve missed anything (quite likely!).
No, keep meaning to run mine down to sub 10% and then trying the Teslas as they are just up the road, but haven't managed it yet (keep plugging in on Octopus 5p whilst I still have it), otherwise there's not many 100kW+ chargers around North Wales.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I got 90kw at 25% soc - so probably don’t have to go as low as <10..
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 am I got 90kw at 25% soc - so probably don’t have to go as low as <10..
In mine (built with 2.3) based on limited data it will go to 90kw plugging in at 20%, to 118kw plugging iat 11-12%, 125kw plugging in at 9%. I've seen others have peaked at 134kw plugging in under 5%. So starting under 10% is definitely beneficial. (These are all cases where I'm confident the battery was warm.)
More to the point the SoC you plug in with affects the curve, not just the peak. In both of those latter two cases the car was pulling 100kw+ right through to about 29-30% SoC. In an earlier car limited to 100kw your charge curve should be completely flat to this point and then track the same as one like mine, based on fastened data I've seen. But for the case where you plug in at 20-25% SoC and peak at 90kw, it falls earlier than that. I can't remember what mine was at by 29-30% SoC when I had plugged in at 20%, but probably 80kw at a guess.
In summary, it will definitely give you a faster charge curve if you plug in around 10% than around 20%. This is because, it seems to me, the starting SoC affects the entire charge curve in an ID.3. Even with a warm battery, if you start at higher SoC you don't seem to just slot in at the right point on the ideal charge curve for your SoC - you get a worse curve. (Although all this might only make a couple of minutes difference.)
All this is entire anecdotal. I would really like to see the algorithm that VW use to limit charging rate :)

Edit, I realised I might have gone off topic :D but if you want to find out the max charging rate of your car I think you definitely need to plug in below 10%.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Scheduled charging is over rated and over analysed.Fair enough if you have a night rate and don't want the hassle of getting up out of your sofa to manually plug in your charger.All these gadgets have made people lazy.I find the plug and play option suits me and people shouldn't delve into the science of charging,life is too short.