ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

I found exactly the same thing, car started charging as requested under “locations” but only added a tiny amount of range. I also tried setting a departure time to see if that would force the car to up its charging rate, but it didn’t make any difference.

I have installed a relay in line with the pilot wire in my pod point charger, which I can operate on a timer via an app. This doesn’t work either though, because if I have left the car “asleep” for more than an hour or so it won’t respond to the charger when it engages.

So now I just plug it in before going to bed, as close to midnight as I can.

I was convinced that having software 0783 would have solved the timed charging issue, as apparently it works flawlessly in existing VW models such as the Golf and Passat GTE. We still love the car but I have to say I am genuinely amazed at how poorly some of the software has been designed/implemented.
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I had a play last week with departure times, setting 01:30 to match the end of my 5-hour off-peak tariff - it didn’t work. Apparently this is a known issue and will be rectified in the 2.1 software, I’ve given up trying for now.

The car charged at about 1/3 of the maximum rate from my Pod Point throughout the whole period, never increasing the rate to try and hit the 80% at 01:30 which the car was configured for.

If I had just plugged it in and done a manual charge it would have hit 80% by about 00:00, so there was easily the potential for it to reach 80% but it didn’t.
RDR

Post by RDR »

TomElleray wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:03 pm I found exactly the same thing, car started charging as requested under “locations” but only added a tiny amount of range. I also tried setting a departure time to see if that would force the car to up its charging rate, but it didn’t make any difference.

I have installed a relay in line with the pilot wire in my pod point charger, which I can operate on a timer via an app. This doesn’t work either though, because if I have left the car “asleep” for more than an hour or so it won’t respond to the charger when it engages.

So now I just plug it in before going to bed, as close to midnight as I can.

I was convinced that having software 0783 would have solved the timed charging issue, as apparently it works flawlessly in existing VW models such as the Golf and Passat GTE. We still love the car but I have to say I am genuinely amazed at how poorly some of the software has been designed/implemented.
For adding a timer I was going to go for the pilot but after thinking about it went for the power feed to the EVSE controller module. So far Worked 100% with the ID3, I have the timer set 12-5am - plug the car in it flashes white then goes red after detecting a plug but no response from the EVSE. Car goes to sleep and when the EVSE controller powers up at 12AM the car wakes and initiates the charge just fine. You only need a simple timer as the EVSE control module takes very little power to talk to the car and throw the 32amp Contactor.
TomElleray

Post by TomElleray »

That’s really interesting. I will have to take the cover off the pod point and see if I can do as you did.

Thanks
ID3 Life Pro
Moonstone Grey
Collected 22nd Dec 2020
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Has anyone had the VW own Home charger installed and used it ?
Deleted User 192

Narked@50 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:00 pm Has anyone had the VW own Home charger installed and used it ?

It has been delayed til 2022 in the UK.
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger anyone have experience of this charger with id3 scheduled charge time.
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Yes but scheduled using the ohme app rather than in car or Id3 app. I’m on octopus go so set charge for 00:30 to 04:30 on ohme app, Plug in and let ohme charger sort it out.
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

I use the Ohme charging scheduler too.

As Ohme doesn't have full access to the ID.3's charging information you schedule top-ups rather than "to nn%" but the car will always be the final arbiter and if you have it set to charge to at 80% as recommended it will stop charging regardless of the Ohme's schedule.

If you want to use the car's scheduled charging time I think you'd probably need to switch all Ohme schedules off.
lm7693

Post by lm7693 »

In reply to an earlier post, I have a VW ID Charger Pro. I ordered it about 2 weeks before picking up the car in September. It arrived at the start of November. It works fine, and seems reliable. This is my first EV so I had nothing to compare it with - I just got it on the recommendation of the dealer. With hindsight, I didn't need some of its features, so I might have saved myself some money by going for something more basic.

It doesn't help with the timed charging, though!
ID. 3 1st Edition v3.2 Sept 2020
ID. 4 1st Edition v3.2 April 2021
VW ID. Charger Pro
Deleted User 192

lm7693 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm In reply to an earlier post, I have a VW ID Charger Pro. I ordered it about 2 weeks before picking up the car in September. It arrived at the start of November. It works fine, and seems reliable. This is my first EV so I had nothing to compare it with - I just got it on the recommendation of the dealer. With hindsight, I didn't need some of its features, so I might have saved myself some money by going for something more basic.

It doesn't help with the timed charging, though!

In the UK? One of these?

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/r ... id-charger
lm7693

Post by lm7693 »

Yes - one of these. I am only just reading now that they are not generally available in the UK, which is a surprise as there were no issues getting it. I am in Northern Ireland, if that makes a difference...
ID. 3 1st Edition v3.2 Sept 2020
ID. 4 1st Edition v3.2 April 2021
VW ID. Charger Pro
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

Thanks for the information, It seems as though there is more than 1 suitable home charger,, that will allow a scheduled charge. I am on Octopus so i guess i could switch to the Octopus Go tarrif and charge overnight on a schedule
Deleted User 192

lm7693 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:49 pm Yes - one of these. I am only just reading now that they are not generally available in the UK, which is a surprise as there were no issues getting it. I am in Northern Ireland, if that makes a difference...

I heard the issue for the rest of the UK is with getting approval from the DNOs (energy distributors), but they are specific to GB rather than including you in NI.
Deleted User 192

Narked@50 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:32 pm Thanks for the information, It seems as though there is more than 1 suitable home charger,, that will allow a scheduled charge. I am on Octopus so i guess i could switch to the Octopus Go tarrif and charge overnight on a schedule

I have the Go Faster tariff with Octopus, it’s like go but with some flexibility on start time and duration of the off-peak period - mine is 20:30-01:30 every day at a rate of 5.5p so I just plug my car in at 20:30 and don’t worry about scheduling. You have to email Octopus to ask for Go Faster.
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Hi. Does anybody know what the ‘Volkswagen Account’ is that the Ohme app asks you to log in to? I have tried my We Connect credentials, but to no effect. The app doesn’t seem to know how much charge is in my battery when the charge cable is connected, so always shows the wrong charge level.
Devonlad

Post by Devonlad »

Hi, I think it might mean the VW ID3 app, though I can't be certain. I use the Ohme charger and have to have a workaround when I want to charge using the Octopus Go in the middle of the night, as the car goes to sleep and doesn't yet wake up automatically
Bigeyedbean

Post by Bigeyedbean »

Hi Devonlad. Is the ID 3 app the same as the We Connect app? If so, I’ve tried to connect to that through the Ohme app but to no avail. I’m due to move onto the Octopus Agile tariff and I’m wondering if/how this will work given that the charger doesn’t seem to recognise the state of charge existing in the battery, and now you’re telling me that your car won’t wake up for an overnight charge. This whole charging process seems totally unnecessarily complicated. I’ve currently got nine different apps on my phone plus one rfid card. I’m due to take my car in for the 2.1 software update in a few weeks, maybe that will help with overnight charge scheduling.
Deleted User 192

The "ID.3 app" is called We Connect ID
Devonlad

Post by Devonlad »

Hi Bigeyedbean, As scott28tt said the app is actually called the WeConnect ID, sorry if I misled you. With the Ohme charger I found the company to be extremely helpful in getting things sorted so I could get the car charged between 0030 - 0430 on the Octopus Go cheap rate tariff.