New First Edition owner

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have now been running this car for a couple of months and by and large, it seems a good vehicle. I have a few gripes:
Rubbish Lane departure system that activates on country lanes and in fog.
Lack of heated mirrors
Poorly designed information screen software
Advertised range is overly optimistic

Otherwise, comfortable, smooth and easy to drive.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Lane Assist: Always active by default (as required by NCAP), quickest way to disable it is pressing the ASSIST button under the main screen and selecting the lane marker.

Heated mirrors: Turn the knob in the driver door to the bottom-right position.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.17.28.png

Range: If you're referring to the 260 miles WLTP figure it would be a good idea to research how WLTP is calculated, you'll see it's carried out in much warmer temperatures than we currently have - all EVs suffer in the cold. You can reduce the battery drain (to maximise range) by pre-heating the cabin with your car charging, having the car in Eco mode, thinking about how you use regen, and reducing your speed.

Here's an article on WLTP: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... explained/
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:24 am
Range: If you're referring to the 260 miles WLTP figure it would be a good idea to research how WLTP is calculated, you'll see it's carried out in much warmer temperatures than we currently have - all EVs suffer in the cold. You can reduce the battery drain (to maximise range) by pre-heating the cabin with your car charging, having the car in Eco mode, thinking about how you use regen, and reducing your speed.

Here's an article on WLTP: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... explained/
Agree with scott28tt on range - this time of year is a tricky time to get an EV because range can be anywhere between 30 and 40% lower than WLTP. I can bet you that on a 20 degree summers day, with Eco mode, 60-64mph driving and a fair wind it is possible to see close to 90% of the WLTP range - let's say 240 miles at 100%. For the time being, it is going to be nigh-on impossible to get that.

We also own an i3, during the summer it shows a possible range up to 160(!) miles which I have never managed to achieve but something like 130 is possible. Currently says 70 miles at 100% because of the cold weather. So that is pretty much halved range (though I am sure I could get it to 90 miles). As scott28tt says, preheating and eco mode are the way forward to get the most out of it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I was aware of the cold weather battery issues and thats understandable. Thanks for the info on the heated mirrors though. I seem to have missed that. Yes I had found that way to turn lane assist off - its just a pity it does not work well enough. Interesting for me as I sell equipment to vehicle manufacturers who are testing and developing all aspects of ADAS.
BevTowcester

Post by BevTowcester »

I too had missed the heated mirrors
Not really needed until now.
Question. Can we select at ‘ pre heat car’ via the app, to have the heated mirrors, heated window, heated seat and heated steering wheel activated?
Thanks
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

BevTowcester wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:37 pm Can we select at ‘ pre heat car’ via the app, to have the heated mirrors, heated window, heated seat and heated steering wheel activated?

There's a setting in the car that can automatically turns on the seats and wheel when it's cold - I can't remember where that option is.

I found one in the app that can "turn on the window and mirrors (depending on vehicle equipment) while air conditioning" - that's in the car section, in Settings, under Air Conditioning.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

There's a bit of an oddity with the current version of the app; under settings you've got the setting for automatic window heating, but then there's another setting for 'zones' which also claims to control heating for windows and mirrors (as well as seat and steering wheel heating).

I haven't yet played around enough to figure out exactly which setting controls what.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515