Newbie about to order?

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
SimonS

Post by SimonS »

Hi,

I am a newbie to this and it the first time I have posted in any forum.

I am on the verge of placing an order for an ID3 (family pro perfor) and came across the forum so have been reading through the various threads. Range comments and technical issues were most helpful and stories of trips Bristol to Cornwall taking 6 hours for 200 miles amusing!

My general trips are local, home to office would be about 80miles round trip, so this works with a charge every couple of days at home, no charging at the office. Once a forth night I have to travel from Stratford on Avon to Tyneside and back in a day, yes I know that a 450mile round trip so it’s definitely an on-route charge, around Leeds. I am generally a relaxed driver and I currently achieve 40 to 42 MPG from the Freelander on such a trip so this is doable on a single tank of diesel with plenty to spare.

I could do the 140 miles home to Leeds (Ionity?) and charge but need to get to site and back to a charger (Leeds?) to get back home but would need to start on 100%.

1) What is the issue with charging to 100% on the battery? Everyone talks about the 80% to 10% window for use but this severely limits the range to around 200 miles so I am very worried about this reduction.

2) I have been watching the 4 charges at the Weatherby services over the past 6 months on this regular trip and noticed the increasing use, often they are all in use now, how are you finding accessing chargers in reality on a day to day basis, it’s not like petrol/diesel where we have lots options (and prices)?

3) The infotainment system lack of lighting is a concern, how real of an issue do users find this in the dark?

4) Rear speakers…..say no more even on the family model. Kids have phones!

5) What is the best and most effective way to charge on the road, the new Shell regen looks promising?

We may keep the wife’s car on petrol as my family are in remote north Devon where charging is limited when we go to see them.

Any feedback welcome

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

1. No issue if you use the car right away. However, to charge from 80-100% takes about the same amount of time as 20-80% - there's no point sitting at a rapid charger waiting for 80-100%, you'd be better off making a second "top up" stop further south to get you home, it will take less time overall.

3. I think you're referring to the heating and volume sliders immediately below the infotainment screen. Some people make a big song and dance about the lack of back-lighting of those sliders. You can control volume either by the steering wheel or your voice, and the heating either on the infotainment screen (after pressing a back-lit CLIMA button) or again with your voice. So, even if you don't get used to them being in the dark, they're not the only ways of operating those functions.

4. I don't miss not having them, I played with the settings on a Golf loan car to replicate ONLY having front speakers compared to having rears as well, and there's little difference to driver and front passenger. My regular rear passengers are my sons - they either have their own music on or I just turn the volume up.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:46 pm 1. No issue if you use the car right away. However, to charge from 80-100% takes about the same amount of time as 20-80% - there's no point sitting at a rapid charger waiting for 80-100%, you'd be better off making a second "top up" stop further south to get you home, it will take less time overall.

3. I think you're referring to the heating and volume sliders immediately below the infotainment screen. Some people make a big song and dance about the lack of back-lighting of those sliders. You can control volume either by the steering wheel or your voice, and the heating either on the infotainment screen (after pressing a back-lit CLIMA button) or again with your voice. So, even if you don't get used to them being in the dark, they're not the only ways of operating those functions.

4. I don't miss not having them, I played with the settings on a Golf loan car to replicate ONLY having front speakers compared to having rears as well, and there's little difference to driver and front passenger. My regular rear passengers are my sons - they either have their own music on or I just turn the volume up.
Yeah, I agree with the above.

On 2. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that currently Tesla have a huge advantage with their super charger network and that in order to move towards the level of adoption of BEVs that the 2030 target requires we need a vastly improved charging network. How with the current Westminster inhabitants we will manage that without spending a ridiculous amount of billions is a worry.
ID3_Carnage

Post by ID3_Carnage »

Don't !!!

They are selling lemons right now and you can't make these things into lemonade.

Under 300 miles and with the constant major errors it is unsafe to drive, can't run, and just a dud.

Honestly save yourself the hell and buy anything but this car.

We are currently trying to get our money back after VW just notified us today that they now would like to completely replace the MAIN battery. Good luck...
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

ID3_Carnage wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:20 pm Don't !!!

They are selling lemons right now and you can't make these things into lemonade.

Under 300 miles and with the constant major errors it is unsafe to drive, can't run, and just a dud.

We are currently trying to get our money back after VW just notified us today that they now would like to completely replace the MAIN battery. Good luck...

Sounds like you have a dud for sure, hope you get your rejection resolved.

They’re far from being all duds though, I’m 3500 miles in with mine and no major issues.
ID3_Carnage

Post by ID3_Carnage »

IMG-20210611-WA0003.jpg

We thought all the bugs were sorted after the 1st edition, but it only seems worst. Alot of people that ordered after the first edition are getting an electrical drive failure. It's not restricted to the ID3, back in the states the ID4 are suffering from the same issue. I'll attach a photo
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

When buying bear in mind bad news travels faster than good news on these forums. I am one of many owners enjoying a trouble free great car. Nearing 3,000 miles I had some minor issues with the original SW and the app is very basic.
Bottom line though is if you make a decision based on negative posts my guess is you will never buy any car.
I have looked for data on what percentage of ID3s built have had issues but not yet come up with anything.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deadlysub

Post by Deadlysub »

ID3_Carnage wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:20 pm Don't !!!

You get lemons with any major new car launch. It seems VW are having their fair share of issues with the ID3/4.
Jono

Post by Jono »

It’s basically a good car, but one not without its problems.

Mine started playing up on the day of delivery, they had it for 2 weeks and couldn’t fix it, even VW Germany ran out of ideas. It’s been rejected, got my money back. When I dropped the loan car off earlier this week, they said it still wasn’t fixed (it’s been there 5 weeks). The service manager said they now had 8 totally dead cars on-site - that’s one dealer.
SimonS

Post by SimonS »

Thanks for all the feed back,
Bad news does travel faster and as you say new tech coming to market has issues.
I have driven both 58 and 77 kW models and given my distances I have I need the larger unit even though the grants no longer apply.
I need to embrace the opportunity this will bring and the chance to have a break when rushing around to have a coffee and recharge!
Let you know what happens