Newbie thinking about Life and Family

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
TimF

Post by TimF »

Hi all,

For some time, we've been thinking about changing our car, even though it is only 16 years old, and wanted to go full electric. After much reading of online and printed reviews, we've visited various showrooms and had some test drives, deciding on the ID3 (I really can't go along with that silly dot, sorry if that offends anyone).

Geting into details, and wondering about various stuff, I came across this forum, which has offered a lot of helpful material - thanks.

We're happy with the lower-power motor, and the Life version seems about right for us, although we would like to have the reversing camera of the Family. It's just over £1k to add the camera to Life with the Assistance pack. Alternatively, the shift to Family is almost three times that, and comes with other goodies such as the big sun roof. Anyone have opinions on the relative merits?

One minor question of fact rather than opinion. The ID3 turning circle is impressively tight, but the only figure I can find for it anywhere is the "between kerbs" one. Has "between walls" ever been measured?

simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

The family adds quite a lot in the lighting area plus heated seats and steering wheel, plus the sunroof which is kind of cool. I think you also get better seats as well as keyless entry.
In the end it’s all about the toys,if those are important then it’s worth the extra investment if they don’t matter to you personally then probably not. I went for a max which effectively has nearly everything except the large battery as I wanted all the bells and whistles. I did add alloys which I think make the car look smarter although there is an impact on range by adding those as they are heavier. ( impact on range is small). As I took a car at the dealer it also had a heat pump which I definitely would not bother with if I was speaking one. Check out the drive the deal website as they seem to have some good offers.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

All UK ID3's come with heated seats (front) and steering wheel. I thought the life was pretty well spec'd and there are parking sensors all round, so for me a reversing camera seemed overkill.

Bear in mind I'm awaiting delivery (so only test drive experience) and I am a cheapskate :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We have a Life and a Family. I bought the life thinking I had an unbeatable deal with the (then) drivethedeal price being undercut by £450. Then an inmediate delivery Family came up for £832 more than the Life had cost. I was on it like a tramp on chips.

No way I'd pay £2500ish more for the Family fot the extra toys, but £832 more was well worth it.

The wife has the Family and I have the Life. The pano roof has the biggest impact for me, pretty much everything else is superfluous (have no idea how much better the matrix lights are on a country road, it's all well lit major roads around me).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

We have the matrix lights and they are great and hugely responsive. We live in a dark, windy road area and never worry about visibility or lights auto-dimming accurately.
TimF

Post by TimF »

Thanks all - helpful stuff.

Cheers,

Tim
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Just to throw out another option; we got the Style spec, thinking that as an upgrade on the Life model, it would come with the reversing camera. It doesn't. But after living with the car for about 2 weeks now, I'm not sure I miss the camera as much as I thought I would. The mirrors can tilt down when reversing and the sensors are really very good. Just some food for thought; the Style spec adds a lot to the Life spec (not the camera, obviously) and is a good middle ground in terms of cost. If you *have* to have the camera, then you either have to get the Family spec or pay about a grand to upgrade the Life spec. IMO, I'd advocate for spending that grand on the Style spec, even though it doesn't have the camera, because you get way more bang for your buck that way. Just a thought....
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Style is now only available in the UK as a "Pure Performance" model with 150PS and a 45kWh battery (not 204PS and 58kWh), so power and range may steer people towards Life or Family anyway.
TimF

Post by TimF »

wgibbons wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:19 pm Just to throw out another option; we got the Style spec, thinking that as an upgrade on the Life model, it would come with the reversing camera. It doesn't. But after living with the car for about 2 weeks now, I'm not sure I miss the camera as much as I thought I would. The mirrors can tilt down when reversing and the sensors are really very good. Just some food for thought; the Style spec adds a lot to the Life spec (not the camera, obviously) and is a good middle ground in terms of cost. If you *have* to have the camera, then you either have to get the Family spec or pay about a grand to upgrade the Life spec. IMO, I'd advocate for spending that grand on the Style spec, even though it doesn't have the camera, because you get way more bang for your buck that way. Just a thought....
Good point, but we discounted Style because of its smaller battery. Summer range would be OK, but winter could be a problem. Currently, Style does come with the camera (part of the "Assistance" pack fitted to Style and Family - "Assistance Plus" is on Max and Tour). Style, Family, Max and Tour get "Comfort Plus", Life and City plain "Comfort". Given how things have changed so far with ID3, what's the betting that, for the 22 plate, the packs and their distribution change again?

I freely admit that it took a while to get to grips with the matrix of what comes with which, and the full build-a-bear system. Then there are the Protection (etc) Packs to customise (or do I mean confuse?) things further.
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Maybe there’s a spec difference in different countries? We’re in Ireland, and the Style definitely does not come with reversing camera. Not sure what you mean by small battery, but the Style over here has the 58kWh pack. Does the family have the 77?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

wgibbons wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 am Maybe there’s a spec difference in different countries? We’re in Ireland, and the Style definitely does not come with reversing camera. Not sure what you mean by small battery, but the Style over here has the 58kWh pack. Does the family have the 77?

Yes, these are the current UK battery spec options:

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 09.43.37.png

wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Ah, well I can see why the Style is not as attractive now.
TimF

Post by TimF »

wgibbons wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 am Maybe there’s a spec difference in different countries? We’re in Ireland, and the Style definitely does not come with reversing camera. Not sure what you mean by small battery, but the Style over here has the 58kWh pack. Does the family have the 77?
Clearly different - see attached image from the current UK brochure.

id3_versions.gif