Hand-controls

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello all, I'm currently waiting for my car to be delivered - ordered in April and have been told I'll get it in September. It's through Motability and I was wondering if anyone out there has push/pull hand-controls fitted and how they're getting on?
Cheers,
Stuart

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Well, after a week with no response, I'm guessing that no-one with hand-controls reads this forum or there's no-one with hand controls!
"On your own, on your own, on your own..." comes to mind :D
I'm enjoying reading the other posts though.
Cheers
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Hi Stuart - I know nothing about this - aside from having a good friend who’s a wheelchair user and driver (though I’ve not seen him for a few years…).

But - as the id3 is more or less fly by wire (the brake pedal moves down when it brakes with the ACC) I wonder if instead of a mechanical push pull rig something more sophisticated with a electronic push pull control (with feedback) could be made?

Might just be dreaming!
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello MotMot, You may well be right and I have no idea is the honest answer! The ID.3 hasn't been available on Motability for very long and when I spoke to Jeff Gosling Hand Controls a couple of months ago, they told me that they hadn't designed any yet but they would take the first car they get an order for and design some. I guess I'll just have to be patient... The thing is, I've only been a passenger in one, while my wife test drove it and I'm just keen to drive it. We'll get there ;)
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Good luck - and post how it works out!!
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Will do, cheers
wookiemaster

Post by wookiemaster »

I am also awaiting an ID3, and have been informed by the dealership that I will be the first to have ordered an ID3 with hand controls. So, my main concern is that the wheel will not be adjustable once the control is fitted. Currently trying to find this out and will post once known.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello there, I don't know but, having had push/pull controls on all my cars for nearly 30 years, I assumed that the steering column is no longer adjustable. If you're with the engineer when they're installed, you can get the steering column where you prefer it and they will install the controls with the column locked in that position.
To be honest, it's something that I don't even think about anymore and I've just got used to it.
Let me know what you find out.
Cheers
craig

Post by craig »

hope you get sorted ok I'm waiting to hear if they can fit the wheelchair hoist in the rear ok with the motor and electronics being under the boot
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello all, I found out today that my car is due for collection earlier than originally planned and it's due next Friday the 27th August. I've also found out that the hand-controls will mean that the steering column will no longer be adjustable and because they've not had the details from VW, they are unable to get into the wiring system in order to fit an indicator switch on the end of the push/pull handle. This tells me that the controls are mechanical and any other electrical adaptions seem to be currently unlikely. Early-adopter problems! C'est la vie, onwards and upwards.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

👍👍