D or B drive

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
jonnec

Post by jonnec »

Hi

I have just taken delivery of a brilliant ID-3 Family Pro Performance, excellent car to drive with many hours already. What I was wondering is will you get more range driving mainly in D mode and coasting along and using the B mode downhill(s) or when needing to brake around corners, so you just flick the drive shift accordingly than driving in B mode all the time. Hope that's clear. Thanks John

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Lots of debate on that one.
6 months ago I started in B but swung to D believing I could anticipate the need to slow. Not just to improve range but it felt more fun rolling along with little resistance. The truth for me was/is I can't drive as efficiently as B. I now drive in B 95% of the time, with or without ACC, and have grown into and like 1 pedal driving.
My tip. Explore both and decide whats best for you as an overall drive, not just range and efficiency.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Try both modes under different road conditions, see which you prefer the feel of, don’t worry too much about the level of regen.

You can get the same regen level from both modes, depending on how you use your right foot on the accelerator pedal in B mode.

Personally, I leave it in D most of the time. I switch to B if I’m going through a section of speed bumps or if I fancy a bit more of a “spirited” drive along some twistier roads.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

After admittedly only 2500miles I can find no discernible difference in range (or consumption).
As has been said I think it depends on Your individual driving style, the roads you drive on, the levels of traffic on those roads etc.

Personally, it seems difficult to ascertain what difference there is in regen between the car controlling this itself B mode and the driver pressing the pedal in D and I have not managed to read any technical documentation explaining the two (accurately)

Personally when I lift off.. I want the car to coast not throw an anchor out of the back window.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Each to our own, but for me on single track roads where visibility beyond the next bend in the road is sometimes less than 50 yards, B is totally appropriate. Applying brakes, and looking for the next passing place becomes second nature.
On open roads D is my choice.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

D on the motorway/A roads, B in town. I don't trust the combo of ACC and B which almost caught me out twice when I tried it in town. Absolutely love the way the ID.3 drives in B mode though.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Andreas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:08 pm I don't trust the combo of ACC and B which almost caught me out twice when I tried it in town.

All the best

Andreas
Can you elaborate on this?
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

May be Marcus can shine a light on this?

SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 am
Andreas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:08 pm I don't trust the combo of ACC and B which almost caught me out twice when I tried it in town.

All the best

Andreas
When you're not too careful with where you rest your hand you can inadvertently activate 'set' for the ACC. This is a bit awkward if it then leads the vehicle to try to accelerate for a moment at least (I didn't wait to find out if an emergency brake would kick in) to the last set speed (say 30mph) while you're actually in the process of slowing down in the city in advance of a traffic light. Lesson learned about hand placement.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
AndyMorgan

Post by AndyMorgan »

Andreas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:05 am
G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 am

All the best

Andreas
When you're not too careful with where you rest your hand you can inadvertently activate 'set' for the ACC. This is a bit awkward if it then leads the vehicle to try to accelerate for a moment at least (I didn't wait to find out if an emergency brake would kick in) to the last set speed (say 30mph) while you're actually in the process of slowing down in the city in advance of a traffic light. Lesson learned about hand placement.

All the best

Andreas
This caught me out a few days back. On the motorway in B mode with ACC activated, it suddenly sensed a 30mph limit on an exit lane & braked the car.
Fortunately no other vehicles were close to me & I deactivated ACC straight away. No harm done.
Bit scary though.

Re OP, I usually drive in B mode, but might try D more on motorways, switching to B for town/twisty driving.
150kw Life Pro Performance, standard kit, Manganese Grey, July 2021.
Airdrie, Scotland
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’m still not seeing a connection between the ACC misbehaving and the car being in B mode at the time. ACC can do that in D mode too.