First impressions

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Had the car for a week now, drove it from Norwich where I took delivery to London, and since then quite a bit of driving around East London, trying to figure things out and bringing the little one to sports camp (normally cycle but she refused due to the hot weather).

I'm very positively impressed with the way the vehicle handles, the HUD, ACC and the overall drive experience. Drove in D from Norwich to London and now B in the city. It's a very relaxed drive, maneuverable and has a solid on the road feel. I have read a lot of journalist complaints about the hard plastic and interior, and while I can see the issue, its not something that is bugging me. Seats are very comfortable in any case, which is what matters.

Battery range performance is excellent in the city, I easily get 4.6+ miles/kWh around here (mostly 20 mph stop and go). No lack of chargers either which is great, and after a bit of fiddling I have now figured charging out.

Minor issues:
  • Still working on ID.3 voice control, and Apple Car Play overriding the ID.3 system.
  • Wireless charging as good as useless due to overheating, but there are four ISB-C connectors, so whatevs.
  • Visibility around the A-beam is a bit weak, almost got caught out by a runner this morning who appeared seemingly from nowhere.
  • Autohold needs a firm kick when in B driving mode, so that needs getting used to
The real test will come next week when I take the car on a 2-day trip to central Italy to visit family (around 1,000 miles). Signed up for the 7.99 plan with WeCharge to benefit from the lowest cost Ionity charging enroute.

So far so good.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

That’s a good big roadtrip! Excellent test - hope it goes well.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Can you elaborate on what you mean about CarPlay overriding the in-car voice control, and on the relationship between Autohold and B mode please?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

When the phone first connects when you enter the car it pushed me out of what I was doing on the screen by auto-starting CarPlay once or twice.

Autohold, when in mode B the car never stops unless you hit the brake, it keeps moving forward at 1-3mph. If you only brake lightly, auto hold does not seem to come on, so you have to double-tap the brake. I guess it's the same in mode D, but I am not using this in the city.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Andreas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:09 am When the phone first connects when you enter the car it pushed me out of what I was doing on the screen by auto-starting CarPlay once or twice.

Autohold, when in mode B the car never stops unless you hit the brake, it keeps moving forward at 1-3mph. If you only brake lightly, auto hold does not seem to come on, so you have to double-tap the brake. I guess it's the same in mode D, but I am not using this in the city.

All the best

Andreas

That’s how Autohold works, nothing to do with B or D.

The car will come to a crawl, if you’re gentle on the brake you can stop it completely without engaging Autohold, if you give the pedal a firmer push once stopped that will engage Autohold.

I’ve not experienced that CarPlay behaviour unless I’ve had a message notification.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Yeah I think it's just me getting used to Autohold and taking longer on account of my age...

I don't think this was message behavior, maybe it's connected to the wireless charging? It's not a biggy in any way.

All the best

Andreas
——————