Best EV home charger

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mic11

Post by Mic11 »

Hello! I am looking at buying ID3 Family Pro performance. I will be eligible for the grants including the Scottish EST grant. Which charger and energy provider would be best? My energy supplier is Eon and I see they have Eon Next drive with cheap nighttime tariffs but it doesn’t look like ID 3 is compatible with that. Any advice appreciated!
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue with Derry alloys and transport hitch.

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Zappi Charger if you have solar panels!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Vauxhall

Post by Vauxhall »

I use the Zappi with solar panels too, but it is much more, as quoted in its guide "If you don’t have solar panels or wind turbines installed yet, don’t worry, the zappi EV charger will still be of great benefit to you. Thanks to its unique e-sense functionality, it has the ability to detect when economy tariffs become available. You can programme zappi to switch to the best tariff or use its programmable timers for when set tariffs like Octopus Go are available"
ID.3 Life Pro 58Kwhr Stonewashed Blue
Mic11

Post by Mic11 »

Thanks. No I don’t have solar panels, and unlikely to have in the near future.
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue with Derry alloys and transport hitch.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Raxacorico wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:39 pm Zappi Charger if you have solar panels!

And sufficient solar output to justify the additional cost (£250-ish) compared to most chargers on the market.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Absolutely no issues with my Ohme charger. It is set up to only charge during my 5p overnight Octopus GO rate and hasn't missed a beat with our Life. It has missed once on our Family when it was on 2.0 software and never since.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Stiggy

Post by Stiggy »

Just had a OHME Home Pro installed by the excellent Smart Home Charge team, amazing service from start to finish. I had ordered a HIVE charger from British Gas but cancelled after no communication for over 10 days post ordering ! Fortunately cancelling was easy enough, all I need now is a car (no dates yet for car ordered in November) having read posts here I'm resigned to a long wait !
Order date: 20th January 2022
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump, Infotainment Pack, Sport Plus Pack, Bicycle Prep
Order number: 3203****
Estimated delivery: Late November 2022
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Another positive vote for OHME. I have OHME cable which has the same internals as other chargers in their range and same app. Its great. Simple to set up and just works. App is really easy to use and allows you to decide what % charge you want to add, whether you want to add it now, later or during your cheap tariff. It has details of all the tariffs so you just add the tariff and it does the rest. You can with Octopus Go for example tell it to never charge over 5p/kW or let it have some flexibility to charge outside that time to reach your ideal % charge. Useful with a bigger battery pack that might not get to the charge required in 4 hours. It will also charge at greenest times with most green energy in the grid or with the "be kind to battery" option spread out charge over the entire cheap tariff time at a lower rate of charge if the desired % can be achieved with say 3.5kW rather than 7kW. Pretty neat.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
IDontknow

Post by IDontknow »

We've got a Hypervolt installed but no car as yet! I'll let you know how we get on next week.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

I have both podpoint and a OHME

Podpoint works extremely well and would have another another but they didn’t answer at all

OHME through Octopus were excellent from start to finish (octopus had an offer on as well)
Good communication and fitting team from Octopus were outstanding

I haven’t worked out all the functionality yet but would recommend either !
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete