Scheduled charging with Pod Point

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
peterg

Post by peterg »

I feel your pain. There have been many posts about unreliable Pod point charging but ( tempting fate) we have had it cracked for the last three months without any issues.
The failsafe is just to set the timed charge for the Octopus Go 12. 30 to 4 30 am cheap,slot ( about £1 20 for a 100 mile charge during this period) but on the app to set it for every day , 7 days a week. Then you just plug in on the days you need to before bedtime and the magic all happens. We did follow the other tip of plugging in the pod point end of the cable first and then the car end and vica versa when taking it off charge. And also locking the car which is obvious I guess.
Peter

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steve wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm I have a Zappi charger and over on their forums some people have reported that the ID3 seems to go to sleep waiting for a charge that has been scheduled on the Zappi and doesn't wake up when the Zappi asks it to. Could be irrelevant but I thought I'd mention it!
That is exactly our problem. Have you tried the Zappi timers?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 am
steve wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm I have a Zappi charger and over on their forums some people have reported that the ID3 seems to go to sleep waiting for a charge that has been scheduled on the Zappi and doesn't wake up when the Zappi asks it to. Could be irrelevant but I thought I'd mention it!
That is exactly our problem. Have you tried the Zappi timers?
I use the Zappi for 'scheduled' overnight charging with so far no problems. 'Smart' charging is a whole other adventure in mental arithmetic, I believe this is due to the ID.3 not giving out it's SoC via the API and this affects many charging (all) devices not just the Zappi.
I have experienced the 'awakening issue' but only after charging the car for a period then stopping the charge and then, trying to start charging again some hours later. So not really an everyday pattern. A single click of the remote allows it to restart though.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Update from my ongoing dialogue with Pod Point support. They acknowledge the problem and say they’re working on a fix for when the car is connected for a scheduled charge, shortly afterwards the ID.3’s red light comes on and cable unlocks (even though when the scheduled charge time arrives the cable locks and the charge goes ahead).

I tested it at their requests for short charge periods, which also showed that if the scheduled charge end time arrives before the car’s charge level threshold is reached the red light comes on and cable unlocks! Hadn’t seen that before as my scheduled charges ended because the car reached 80%.

All points to an issue within the scheduled charging function they added, normal charging is all fine, but when the Pod Point is telling the car what to do it messes up with the fault light and unlocking. Does on my charger anyway, which was only installed couple of months ago so it’s not as if it’s an old unit :x
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

Leccy, have you tried telling the car not to unlock the cable when charging finishes?. When you go to it in the morning you can unlock the cable by locking and unlocking the car a couple of times
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
Tony Cr

Post by Tony Cr »

I have been away from the forum for a while. Even after 2.3 I still have problems. It is OK for the first day but if the car is left into another day the problems seem to appear. I use the zappi for small charging for sunny periods and slowly trying to work out what is the best action. Contact with VW has been appalling. Basically they don't want to know. Referred me to the authorsied agents who do not have the knowledge or the facility to work out what is wrong. I gather the Id4 has different software and has not problem. The solution seems obvious to me but not VW.