22kW Charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

This page by Volkswagen UK seems to imply that the ID.3 can charge at 22kW on AC, unless I am misreading it.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/c ... r-charging

I understand however that is not the case, and you would need a DC charger for that speed?

The German site is much clearer, and does not leave you with this impression, clearly stating that 11kW is the max on AC.

https://www.volkswagen.de/de/elektrofah ... laden.html

Question, as I presume this is a hardware issue, I don't think there is a chance of an update at some stage to introduce 22kW AC charging on current ID.3s?

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Correct. The AC to DC inverter that is onboard the ID3 is only rated at 11kW.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks for the confirmation. Bummer.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

That first article seems to be totally generic, about EV charging generally.

All battery/motor options for the ID.3 support 11kW maximum on AC, as per the brochure:

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 18.15.18.png

f080421

Post by f080421 »

Yeah, 22 kW AC charging would have been very welcome, but on the other hand not many cars have it. Some don't even have 11 kW.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I really don't see the point in 22kw charging I'm afraid. I get it in the days of old Zoe's where thats the only way they could charge, but for me you either need 7kw or DC rapid and thats it. The only benefit it would have is you get a lot of free electric when you're at Tesco for an hour, rather than the 38 miles of range I currently get while doing my weekly shop. I think we'll hardly see a 22kw charger installed anywhere in the future.
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

I'm curious as to why they go for 11kW but don't go for the full 22kW? Is the kit more expensive?
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Deleted User 192

metcast wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:26 pm I'm curious as to why they go for 11kW but don't go for the full 22kW? Is the kit more expensive?

More expensive and heavier, it feels like they made a good choice based on the maximum AC charging speeds at most locations (home, work, some public points)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

CarterHounslow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:47 am I really don't see the point in 22kw charging I'm afraid. I get it in the days of old Zoe's where thats the only way they could charge, but for me you either need 7kw or DC rapid and thats it. The only benefit it would have is you get a lot of free electric when you're at Tesco for an hour, rather than the 38 miles of range I currently get while doing my weekly shop. I think we'll hardly see a 22kw charger installed anywhere in the future.
I agree with this, we have 11kw at home and frankly use the granny charger (via solar) 90% of the time and then DC when we need it for speed.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

That may be okay for the UK, but it's an entirely different story when you are in a country like Italy, where there are a lot of 22kW public chargers and very very few others, while your home can only charge on reduced current (13 hours for 24% charge to 80%).

Also, not everyone has a charger at home, even in the UK.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Interesting - are those 22kW AC chargers also providing DC as well? Or are they just AC?

Seems really odd to me that a nation chose to install 16A 3-phase to public charging infrastructure so there must have been a reason for it. Is all home charging in Italy limited to what sounds like 10A?

Certainly in the UK there’s virtually no 3ph power to residential properties, so home charging is limited to 32A 1ph/7kW
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Only AC, there isn't a choice that I can see.

Standard domestic connection in Italy is 3kW. If you need more power, you will get a second meter, and the power consumer will be metered on that (e.g. if you have a sauna or steam bath). Fuses regularly trip if you hoover and have the oven on or the washing machine spins.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Andreas wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 am That may be okay for the UK, but it's an entirely different story when you are in a country like Italy, where there are a lot of 22kW public chargers and very very few others, while your home can only charge on reduced current (13 hours for 24% charge to 80%).

Also, not everyone has a charger at home, even in the UK.

All the best

Andreas
We are lucky in Spain for sure. 11kw at home and a large number of free 50kw Dc chargers around the country.
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

The ID.3 can accept AC charging up to 11kW (3 phases 16A/phase)
At home I charge my ID.3 with 1 phase 32A which is 7,3kW - which is the highest possible 1 phase AC charging.
I build my own "DIY" wall charger :)

Here you can see the AC charging possibilities of ID.3:

ID.3_charging.jpg

Updated ID software v3.2 finally :P
02/2021 ID.3 Pro Performance Tech - w/ Heat Pump, Head-Up display, Pano-roof. Glacier white metallic with 19" Andoya wheels
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks, all clear now.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Gemma 1

Post by Gemma 1 »

Hello, I live in Italy. The power normally supplied in Italy is 3 kW (16 A) but higher supplies can also be obtained (up to 6 kW in single-phase and up to 15 or 20 in three-phase, depending on the supplier). There is no need to install a second meter. At home I have an 11 kW contract and a photovoltaic system; I charge the ID.3 via a Mennekes station set for a maximum charging power of 9 kW.
ID.3 Tech Pro, Glacier White, 7,5 J x 19" Andoya alloys, Heat Pump, Bicycle carrier prep, Software version 0912 (2.4)
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks Gemma

That’s very helpful. We are not here year-round so the investment wouldn’t make sense for us at this stage (although I’m trying to talk father in law into it using the ecobonus!

Very helpful for the future though.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

CarterHounslow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:47 am … for me you either need 7kw or DC rapid and thats it.
Can I ask

1. if there actually are any DC Rapid chargers anywhere
2. if they use the standard type 2 cable
3. or would I need another charging cable
4. or do they all have a tethered cable that charges the ID.3

Thanks as always for any help.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Deleted User 192

ENEMUK wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:59 pm
CarterHounslow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:47 am … for me you either need 7kw or DC rapid and thats it.
Can I ask

1. if there actually are any DC Rapid chargers anywhere
2. if they use the standard type 2 cable
3. or would I need another charging cable
4. or do they all have a tethered cable that charges the ID.3

Thanks as always for any help.

1. They’re all over the place, use something like the Zap-Map app and put a filter on - either for CCS as the connector or 50kW or higher
2. DC rapid chargers use CCS, it is AC chargers that use Type 2
3. DC chargers will always have their own tethered CCS cables, some AC chargers have a tethered Type 2 lead but many do not and you’d need to use the cable which comes with the car
4. See above
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Many thanks
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.