Electric drive failure

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jim.Brown

Post by Jim.Brown »

My car suddenly stopped with the message electric drive failure. After 10 minutes I managed to start car and had electric drive failure warning light on. I drove home ok with this light on. Once I had stopped, got out and then restarted the warning light was no longer on. The car passed the AA and garage tests but the garage did find a fault logged (the fault was not known by garage). The car has now been in the garage for two weeks and I still have no idea when I shall get it back. The fault,I am told, relates to the ac/dc system. The garage is communicating via email to VW and you cannot help but think that this is causing the length of time it is taking.
Anybody else had similar problem?

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I had this once after another car clipped my wing mirror whilst stationary. I switched the car off and on and it went away, never to return.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
GeorgeGordon

Post by GeorgeGordon »

just posted on this separately. happened to me 9 days after buying the car new - was then off road for a month while VW tinkered. Have put the fault details in the the other post.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I had this. rebooted the infotainment system and never got again
not saying yours isn't an issue, but generally I have had a number of glitches and after reboot they have gone away
if it was a real problem it would stay after reboot

rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
AtrixMan

Post by AtrixMan »

"My car suddenly stopped with the message electric drive failure." I have had this happen to me twice in the last week, I've just booked it into the local VW dealership, to be fixed next Thursday. As others on here have had the same problem, then hopefully it can be fixed the same day.
Tom Dickan-Harry

Post by Tom Dickan-Harry »

My Electric Drive failure was due to a faulty cooling pump for the battery plus a failure of the engine ECU. This happened on the 26th November. Luckily I was on the dealership forecourt about to drive away when the error occurred . Both parts were on back order with Germany. They eventually arrived last Monday and I picked up the car on the 15th December. Luckily they provided a loan ID3 in the meantime.
Dbaron

Post by Dbaron »

Hopefully it'll be replaced with a revised part.
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

I had this on mine for a while, error message appeared every time I fast charged on a dc public charger

Since I got a home 7kw charger installed the message hasn’t appeared again

Just a software glitch on mine it looks like
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

This electric drive failure thread is making me nervous about keeping the car any longer than the warranty period. Or, if it's going to fail, will it fail sooner rather than later?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:57 am This electric drive failure thread is making me nervous about keeping the car any longer than the warranty period. Or, if it's going to fail, will it fail sooner rather than later?
The failures anyone is seeing now are due to a manufacturing defect not apparent at time of fitment. Those should all fail early, leaving normal wear and tear to take care of the rest.

Although VWs (and other cars) get a minimum of 3 years warranty, but most major failures happen in year 1.

From new I've had 4 Polo's, 4 Golfs, 2 Sciroccos, an A1 and now 2 x ID3s. 2 of those cars had a failed turbo (lazy actuator) that failed under 6 months, 1 had burst stitching on the rear seats from new, not picked up at PDI, 4 have had white-worm cosmetic corrosion on the diamond cut alloys at almost 3 years old. Other than that, no other warranty issues.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I hadn't had any warnings about the Electric drive in the first 7000 miles of use, since I have had the 2.3 update a couple of weeks ago, I get the drive error - visit workshop at some point during 50% of my journeys.

What I find worrying is the OPs description of the car suddenly stopping. Is this the next stage, a Critical error and is the car likely to come skidding to a halt in the middle of the road?
AtrixMan

Post by AtrixMan »

AtrixMan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:52 pm "My car suddenly stopped with the message electric drive failure." I have had this happen to me twice in the last week, I've just booked it into the local VW dealership, to be fixed next Thursday. As others on here have had the same problem, then hopefully it can be fixed the same day.
The Story Continues - - -
At the VW garage (Telford) they decided it was probably a fault in one of the high power battery units, but to investigate this the car needed to be taken apart in a garage large enough to quarantine the car for safety, this meant another appointment at a VW garage at (Solihull). So on the 10th of Jan (avoiding motorways) I drove the car there, and Yes, I did get the same drive failure on the way, but managed to restart the car again. This time I was loaned an (ICE petrol) courtesy car for the 2 days they thought it would take to repair. In the afternoon of the first day the garage told me the problem was an imbalance in one of the high power battery units, it would take at least a week to get a replacement, but I could continue with the loan car . A few days later I was informed the battery had arrived, the car would be fixed ASAP pending other work.
Yesterday (17th Jan) I was informed, another ID.3 brought in for repair after mine, was now occupying the quarantine area, and that my repair will now have to wait until after they had received the parts (from Germany) and repaired this other car.
The ICE car is now on indefinite loan. The Story Continues - - -
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

AtrixMan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:49 pm
AtrixMan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:52 pm "My car suddenly stopped with the message electric drive failure." I have had this happen to me twice in the last week, I've just booked it into the local VW dealership, to be fixed next Thursday. As others on here have had the same problem, then hopefully it can be fixed the same day.
At the VW garage (Telford) they decided it was probably a fault in one of the high power battery units, but to investigate this the car needed to be taken apart in a garage large enough to quarantine the car for safety, this meant another appointment at a VW garage at (Solihull). So on the 10th of Jan (avoiding motorways) I drove the car there, and Yes, I did get the same drive failure on the way, but managed to restart the car again. This time I was loaned an (ICE petrol) courtesy car for the 2 days they thought it would take to repair. In the afternoon of the first day the garage told me the problem was an imbalance in one of the high power battery units, it would take at least a week to get a replacement, but I could continue with the loan car . A few days later I was informed the battery had arrived, the car would be fixed ASAP pending other work.
Yesterday (17th Jan) I was informed, another ID.3 brought in for repair after mine, was now occupying the quarantine area, and that my repair will now have to wait until after they had received the parts (from Germany) and repaired this other car.

Abandon hope all vehicles that enter Johnsons VW in Solihull. They are, without doubt, the worst dealership for any marque it has ever been my misfortune to deal with. The only good thing about Solihull VW is that their salespeople can't add up, at all, and so we ended up with several options on our old Tiguan being entirely free of charge (eg £2000+ for the Vienna leather ... these are not small accounting errors 😂)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Putting my car on the driveway for charging last night, having moved it all of 20 yards, I had the "drive fault, consult workshop" message flash up. Unplugging the car and moving it off the drive this morning it was gone.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

The car was gone! Oh no!!

😉
AtrixMan

Post by AtrixMan »

AtrixMan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:49 pm
Hooray!!!! At last I have my car back, it was put back together and 80% charged by the end of Tuesday 25th Jan, a month from when I first took it to the VW garage. So far everything seems to be working OK!!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

👏👏👏
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

👍
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Sephiro

Post by Sephiro »

Glad to hear that your saga is sorted - mine has just begun with me only getting to drive the car 130 miles in a week before the dreaded "Electric Drive Failure" appeared and the cabin heating stopped working. It's gone to the local VW dealership this morning, however they've warned me that they don't have training on the high voltage system so it will likely need to be shipped to another dealer an hour away to be looked at. As VW also insist that the hire company (Enterprise) provide another VW and not another manufacturer I don't even have a courtesy car as they don't have any available right now.

Given that I've bought secondhand cars for 20+ years and this is my first "new" car the experience has certainly been disappointing - hopefully it doesn't come back from the dealer tour with a bunch of door dings/scratches or missing under-body panels/clips (if my opinion of dealership workshops seems to be low it's because my last visit to a dealer for an airbag recall resulted in me getting the car back without the UK standard alarm system without them telling me they had done so - apparently they couldn't be bothered to get the reset code after disconnecting the battery :roll: ).
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sephiro wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:56 pm Glad to hear that your saga is sorted - mine has just begun with me only getting to drive the car 130 miles in a week before the dreaded "Electric Drive Failure" appeared and the cabin heating stopped working. It's gone to the local VW dealership this morning, however they've warned me that they don't have training on the high voltage system so it will likely need to be shipped to another dealer an hour away to be looked at. As VW also insist that the hire company (Enterprise) provide another VW and not another manufacturer I don't even have a courtesy car as they don't have any available right now.

Given that I've bought secondhand cars for 20+ years and this is my first "new" car the experience has certainly been disappointing - hopefully it doesn't come back from the dealer tour with a bunch of door dings/scratches or missing under-body panels/clips (if my opinion of dealership workshops seems to be low it's because my last visit to a dealer for an airbag recall resulted in me getting the car back without the UK standard alarm system without them telling me they had done so - apparently they couldn't be bothered to get the reset code after disconnecting the battery :roll: ).
This is a disappointing start I am sure after presumably a long wait. Be interesting to see if VW can turn this around..
With regards to the courtesy car, I was told it had to be a similar car and they offered me a 1.0 Polo manual. I told them it wasn't a suitable like for like replacement and I wanted an EV, Enterprise then offered me a Hyundai Ioniq instead (which I accepted out of curiosity having never driven one) I suggest you go back to Enterprise and VW Customer Services and insist on a suitable vehicle.