Pro or Pro Performance?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Hi, new here and looking at ID.3 as first electric car. I have a few questions but the first one is the difference between the two motor options for the 58Kw battery models.

Do people have a view on whether is it worth paying more for the Pro Performance model over the Pro? It seem fairly expensive as an option but maybe it is worth it?

I also don't understand why or how the range of the Pro Performance car that (presumably) uses more energy is the same as the one with a lower power output motor.

Any help based on experience or just opinion would be welcome.

ENEM
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

My 1st Edition has the pro performance motor. Put in in sports mode and you will beat almost anything at the traffic lights. (If that is your thing).
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Same difference as any other cars with approx 150bhp and 200bhp ;)

More power means getting up to speed more quickly on slip roads, faster overtakes - safer as well as having more fun.

As for the range figures, remember that WLTP is a very specific set of test conditions, I doubt they push full power scenarios.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Ok. Thanks very much both of you.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

ENEMUK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:53 am Do people have a view on whether is it worth paying more for the Pro Performance model over the Pro? It seem fairly expensive as an option but maybe it is worth it?

It all depends how quickly you want the car to accelerate when you press the accelerator. If that doesn't bother you overly, don't pay the extra!

ENEMUK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:53 am I also don't understand why or how the range of the Pro Performance car that (presumably) uses more energy is the same as the one with a lower power output motor.

Because the "power output" you're quoting is a maximum power output, not a "constantly discharged" power output. From a WLTP perspective, given how the test cycle works, there is no functional difference between either the Pro or the Pro Performance motors so the WLTP 'economy' figures will be identical, or as near as. If you use the extra power then you're going to see range reduce more quickly, but WLTP doesn't do that.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

We have the Tour with the 204 PS variant (as it's the only one for the Tour). It is very (and I mean 'very') zippy, even in Eco mode. If you floor it you will instantly be pushed back in your seat. Never tried in Sport Mode, but I guess its a bit like a rocket at that stage. Which makes me wonder if 150PS aren't going to be good enough in 100% of scenarios.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I have a Life PP, and I can vouch for the acceleration (even in Comfort mode, my usual) when overtaking. It’s RAPID!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve the Pro. Fine for me. Even fully laden with family and holiday stuff In it’s fine.

Didn’t seem worth the extra £1100 to me…

It’s apparently all software controlled anywhere - so quite likely (very strong rumour) that you could upgrade for a fee in the future… maybe even try it out for a reduced fee for a month or so…

When buying I did offer the salesman an opportunity to upsell by saying if he could find a PP for £500 more than I was paying I’d take it. They didn’t take me up… 😁
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

We had an A4 Avant 2.0TFSI with the CVT for many years, 200PS, almost 20% less weight. It was nowhere near as zippy as the ID.3, and I considered that quite an agile ride.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

I actively chose not to have the performance option.
My partner is freaked by the extra acceleration you get in an EV so she would've been too afraid to drive it. I'm a fairly laid back driver as well so the ability to fly off the line just wasn't a big factor. Spent the money on a towbar for bikes instead
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Thanks for the replies. I will go for the Pro, rather than Pro Performance, unless the deal makes sense. Not sure if I will pay cash or have a business lease. Sometimes the "hot offers" mean that the Pro Performance costs less than the Pro.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Thanks for all the replies. Pro it is!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Get it on VW PCP and they give you an extra 1750 off as a deposit contribution. You can pay it off in full (for no interest charge) in the first 14 days and trouser the discount….
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

I love my pro - lacks nothing in the acceleration department (though I am not a hot hatch type driver).

Would I think about a performance upgrade if they offered it? Of course!
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Was chatting about this to a friend the other day - WRT Tesla - and how you can pay a few thousand and update the software to drop your 0-60 from 5 to 3.5 seconds etc....

He made a good point - that its the sort of thing you'd like to do for a day or a week - but probably wouldn't need it much after experiencing it. In other words, a track day software update that lasts for 24 hours!
rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla »

I am not sure if it's just a Netherlands thing, but in NL there is ID.3 Pro and Pro performance, all with 204 hp. I wonder is it just an odd naming of is there actually a performance difference between Pro and Pro Performance, considering both are 204 hp?
Deleted User 192

rocknrolla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:13 am I am not sure if it's just a Netherlands thing, but in NL there is ID.3 Pro and Pro performance, all with 204 hp. I wonder is it just an odd naming of is there actually a performance difference between Pro and Pro Performance, considering both are 204 hp?

Pro Performance and Pro S both have 204PS, here's the UK naming:

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 10.33.46.png

rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:34 am
rocknrolla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:13 am I am not sure if it's just a Netherlands thing, but in NL there is ID.3 Pro and Pro performance, all with 204 hp. I wonder is it just an odd naming of is there actually a performance difference between Pro and Pro Performance, considering both are 204 hp?

Pro Performance and Pro S both have 204PS, here's the UK naming:

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 10.33.46.png
Yeah I figured, but in NL you have id.3 Pro both in 204hp and in 145hp versions. And then you have Pro Performance which is 204hp. So I wonder if 204hp Pro is same exact power as Pro Performance and they are simply screwing up naming or is there actually any performance difference.
Deleted User 192

rocknrolla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am Yeah I figured, but in NL you have id.3 Pro both in 204hp and in 145hp versions. And then you have Pro Performance which is 204hp. So I wonder if 204hp Pro is same exact power as Pro Performance and they are simply screwing up naming or is there actually any performance difference.

The image I posted was from the UK "price and specification guide", perhaps check the NL equivalent?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

VW did confuse things a little with the naming and badging.

Pro Performance comes with wing "blade" badges that says "Pro". Do Pros come with the same badge? Maybe VW should put some big fake tailpipes on the Pro Performance to differentiate. :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565