Locked myself out

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

There’s supposed to be an interior keyless sensor, and the car should not lock if a key is detected inside the car. This is how our Tiguan worked. It will lock if it detects a key inside and outside simultaneously though, which is of course fine. It may be that your interior sensor is faulty.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm There’s supposed to be an interior keyless sensor, and the car should not lock if a key is detected inside the car. This is how our Tiguan worked. It will lock if it detects a key inside and outside simultaneously though, which is of course fine. It may be that your interior sensor is faulty.
Or maybe it only works in the main car and not in the boot.
I am supposed to be picking up our Life on 1st September and tempted to try this out before accepting the car.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I know it works if the key is in the main car. (I stood tutting at the door handle which refused to lock at my touch until I realised the key was in the central console.)

I have a family edition.. I just went out and opened the boot using the boot specific button on the key fob. threw the key in the boot and closed it up. The doors all remained locked. I walked away and waited a couple of minutes.. went back to the car and the boot opened. Doors were still locked.
Took the key back out of the boot, closed it and walked away. I put the key down elsewhere went back.. boot was locked. I think there's something wrong with yours.

Do you have a protective pouch for the key? Is it possible this was on top of the key blocking the signal?
sykick

Post by sykick »

Just to add, this also happened to me 2 days ago. Went fishing with my son, sent him to the car to get our food from the boot. He opened the boot only, to get the food out but left the key on the boot liner. We realised about 10mins later what had happened. When we approached the car we could see the keys on the boot floor, but neither the boot or the doors would open. Had to use the spare in the end to get in to the car.

I assumed it has something to do with the fact that the key shuts down when it is not moving to stop "relay" attacks. So goes to sleep when you leave it in the car. (I could however be wrong on this)

Family Pro Model...
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Scratch wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:19 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm There’s supposed to be an interior keyless sensor, and the car should not lock if a key is detected inside the car. This is how our Tiguan worked. It will lock if it detects a key inside and outside simultaneously though, which is of course fine. It may be that your interior sensor is faulty.
Or maybe it only works in the main car and not in the boot.
I am supposed to be picking up our Life on 1st September and tempted to try this out before accepting the car.

In the Tiguan there was a sensor specifically for the boot area as well. Not only was the manual very clear on the subject, Mrs U twice remarked it's a good job that the boot didn't lock on her when she did exactly the same thing the OP did ;-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range

majt62

Post by majt62 »

My key was inside a small rucksack at the front of the boot. Maybe if the sensor is on the lock it didn't pick up a signal from the key.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Had our car since 5 days. I put the keys in the boot and closed the tailgate. I could not open the boot to get the keys. So I would have been stranded had I not had access to the other key. Ours is a Life model. Unless there is a fault somewhere, this is very bad engineering..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Has anyone raised this with their dealer?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Scratch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:58 pm Has anyone raised this with their dealer?
No? Ok then, I did. Definitive answer is what I thought it would be. You have to have keyless entry in order NOT to be able to lock your keys in the boot. So basically, Life models are prone to this.
I wonder if I had known this before ordering whether, I would have gone for a spec that had the keyless entry?
majt62

Post by majt62 »

I have keyless entry but locked my keys in the boot.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

majt62 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:03 pm I have keyless entry but locked my keys in the boot.

Then I think you probably have a fault in your keyless entry system somewhere. Fortunately this is one of those things that is very easy to demonstrate to your dealership!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

majt62 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:03 pm I have keyless entry but locked my keys in the boot.
Then I would guess you have a sensor problem in the car.
sykick

Post by sykick »

Same I have keyless and my son managed to lock the keys in the boot. So that's 2 of us......

rgds,
Marcus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

G43FAN wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:37 pm I know it works if the key is in the main car. (I stood tutting at the door handle which refused to lock at my touch until I realised the key was in the central console.)

I have a family edition.. I just went out and opened the boot using the boot specific button on the key fob. threw the key in the boot and closed it up. The doors all remained locked. I walked away and waited a couple of minutes.. went back to the car and the boot opened. Doors were still locked.
Took the key back out of the boot, closed it and walked away. I put the key down elsewhere went back.. boot was locked. I think there's something wrong with yours.

Do you have a protective pouch for the key? Is it possible this was on top of the key blocking the signal?
Further to the above, I tried again this morning.
Opened the car with a double press.
Opened the boot and threw the key in then closed the boot.
Waited some 20 minutes, the car remained open. (As I hadn't opened any doors or activated anything else I assume the car should have auto locked but it didn't)

I then however did the same but used the 2nd key to attempt lock the car, It locked and I could not retrieve the original key, which I assume by this point was asleep anyway.
sykick

Post by sykick »

This is how we managed to lock the keys in the boot, be interested to know if it is the same for others.

Lock the car fully.
then just open the boot via the handle, (do not unlock the car doors)
place keys in boot, and shut.
leave for 10 mins or so and see if the boot or doors open on return.

Our does not reopen, and we need the spare to unlock in this scenario. We have a Family Pro Performance with keyless.

rgds,
Marcus
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sykick wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:04 am This is how we managed to lock the keys in the boot, be interested to know if it is the same for others.

Lock the car fully.
then just open the boot via the handle, (do not unlock the car doors)
place keys in boot, and shut.
leave for 10 mins or so and see if the boot or doors open on return.

Our does not reopen, and we need the spare to unlock in this scenario. We have a Family Pro Performance with keyless.

rgds,
Marcus
I can understand why I was told by my VW dealer that you shouldn't be able to lock the keys in the boot, if your car has keyless entry. This is how my previous car, Ford Fiesta ST, worked. It's becoming clear that the VW system has some issues for some people. I would have said get in contact with VW customer care, but I did exactly that - bloody useless!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Pro Max, with keyless

10:19 locked car with remote
10:20 unlocked boot only
10:20 put key in boot, closed boot

Messages: iD light flashed red, car beeped, a message flashed on the screen which was unreadable as boot was closing

10:21 put key in boot, closed boot, used daughter to read the message which was "key in car" - the message flashed quickly, so effectively useless

10:35 car fully locked, couldn't open the boot, so unlocked with 2nd key

Thinking about it, the real problem isn't the car locking after a period of time, it's the poor alert to the key being inside the car. I certainly don't want the car perma-unlocked so someone can drive off with it.

Even more reasons to have the App updated to something half-decent to permit unlocking.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

OK..this is getting really odd.

Car fully locked, I went around the back of the house to approach directly from behind with keyfob in hand.
About 3 foot from the car (without me doing any pressing) the car opens and the mirrors fold out. (This I think is a setting that can be changed but I can't find where)
I opened the boot, placed my key on the boot floor and closed the boot.
I can see the car from where I am sat and it has not locked itself.

According to the manual your scenario should not occur.

From the manual -

Vehicle locks itself automatically
The vehicle locks again automatically after approximately 45 seconds if one of the following conditions applies:
The vehicle was unlocked but not opened.
The ignition was not switched on.
The boot lid was not opened.
The vehicle was unlocked by means of the lock cylinder.
The vehicle was locked with the control button in the vehicle interior.

Response when locking the vehicle with a second vehicle key
The vehicle key inside the vehicle is disabled for activating the vehicle’s drive system as soon as the vehicle is locked from outside with a second vehicle key. Press the button on the inside vehicle key in order to release it for activating the vehicle's drive system Activating the vehicle’s drive system.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I think you're narrowing in on it, the difference we have is that we do not have the "unlock on approach" activated so therefore the scenario of having to unlock the boot only doesn't apply for you.

I'll attempt to fiddle around with it more later.
sykick

Post by sykick »

I think it will only 'not' lock again, if the doors have been unlocked. In our scenario only the boot was unlocked/opened not the doors.

And you are correct I have turned of the 'unlock on approach' feature as I did not like it unlocking when I walked past with the keys.

rgds,
Marcus