Unexplained reduced range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Had the ID.3 for 6 weeks and very pleased with it, getting to know it and the EV life. It’s home charged (7kwh) 40% to 80% every few days. When at 80% it shows 210-215 miles range, which is what I’d expect. However, last night 80% only gave it 180 miles. Over the weekend we charged to 100% for a journey and then during that journey we rapid charged to 90%. Last night’s 80%/180mile charge is first one after that. Surely it’s not been upset by that 100%/rapid charging? Could it be a fault? Random glitch?
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

the range is just an estimate based on your previous driving
if the car is new it is likely to be more volatile, given the difference in driving styles over a short time

215 miles at 80% is quite optimistic. would only have done that after some optimised driving when new

real world with aircon, radio, satnav and a mixture of motorway and local driving I did 155 miles starting at 90% and finishing at 21%
so that is 2.25 miles per percent, which means that an 80% charge should give a real 180 miles .....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Ah Ok, it just surprised me to see the range after an 80% charge change so suddenly, every previous charge it was 210-215. But given the weekend journey was mainly motorway speed, what you say does make sense, prior to that it’s been all gentle local stuff
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Leccy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:46 pm the weekend journey was mainly motorway speed, what you say does make sense, prior to that it’s been all gentle local stuff

That is the reason.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Yes, obvious now, it’s still new to see energy use tending to increase when motorway cruising. I guess after a little while back to its regular use the range estimate after an 80% charge will creep back up
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I do wish it was smarter with the range. It bases it on previous driving , weather conditions and air con being on etc. However would be it too much to ask to have current consumption factored in? If I'm a motorway I don't care about my theoretical range, the car knows I'm doing 3.4 miles per kilowatt hour so why can't it work that out for me? It's boring that I have to ask Google to work out 0.67 multiplied by 58 (67% battery left from 58 kwh battery) then ask it to multiply thsy figure by 3.4 to work out my actual range.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I think it does. If I’m on a motorway trip the range plummets to start with then stabilises. This would suggest it’s adjusting to a new m/kWh.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

MotMot wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:57 pm I think it does. If I’m on a motorway trip the range plummets to start with then stabilises. This would suggest it’s adjusting to a new m/kWh.
It doesn't. I was on a motorway the other day driving a little faster than I should have been. Consumption read as 2.8 miles per kwh and I'd been going that for 20 minutes or so. Was telling me I had 120 miles range (I had around 50% battery remaining) yet clearly if I drove at that speed with 50% remaining for the whole of my journey I would get just over 80 miles range. I kept going and it was going down at the same rate. I.e. it wasn't factoring in my current driving. It must be based from my long term average of 3.7? Or previous journey? Not sure exactly, but current driving certainly isn't factored in. Even giving two readings would be helpful. Here's your theoretical range if you stop driving like a tool, and here's you're actual range if you continue driving like this. Would be very handy.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:57 pm I think it does. If I’m on a motorway trip the range plummets to start with then stabilises. This would suggest it’s adjusting to a new m/kWh.
I'd agree with that. If you're driving around with no aircon and have range X miles, when you put aircon on, the projected range takes an instant hit, maybe knocking 30 miles off a 180 mile range as was with the aircon off. So you're down to 150 miles. You switch the aircon back off and you're back up to about 180 miles on the displayed range.

The car will look at current consumption rate vs remaining capacity and predict range left under the current circumstances.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I charged to 90% for a long drive today, and it says 225 miles. That's based on a month of driving. Lets see how it holds out in the traffic !!
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

colonelpurple wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:24 am I charged to 90% for a long drive today, and it says 225 miles. That's based on a month of driving. Lets see how it holds out in the traffic !!
It'll probably go up in traffic!
RashD

Post by RashD »

I have also noted the range when I first received the car was 292 and now it's plummeted drastically. I do motorway driving and also trips to London. at 100% I get just about 245 'ish and at 80% I get just about 190? I'm getting worried as to what's changed in the range? The car is only 2 months old!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

From those figures I’d guess your long term consumption is about 4.2m/kWh? (240/58) it’s on one of the screens.

Mine on delivery showed 315 miles of range!!! Now usually about 210 on an 80% charge - just the figures adjust to your prior usage!
Waldemar

Post by Waldemar »

I've had my ID3 204 PS 68KwH now for about 4 months and covered about 1400 miles. After a brief flirtatious period of exuberant acceleration to see what it could do I settled into a more easy going driving style in comfort mode.
Though I have not tested it from 100% to 0%, I have charged it to 100% and run it down to about 74 miles left in the batteries. Driven gently the on-board computer is advising its giving me 4.1 miles per KWh. About 240 miles. Pretty good! Compared with 3.4 to 3.6 with a heavy right foot. I charge at home using a 7kw charge point.

Motorways are taken between 55-65mph with the odd burst at 70 ish to overtake. No hardship on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester with the roadworks. Ambient temps between 13 and 25 degC.

My question is:- Why do VW advise charging to 80% rather than 100%, especially as its designed to cope with fast charging upto 100kw. Cant see why full charging at 7Kw could do any harm.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Waldemar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:46 pm I've had my ID3 204 PS 68KwH now for about 4 months and covered about 1400 miles. After a brief flirtatious period of exuberant acceleration to see what it could do I settled into a more easy going driving style in comfort mode.
Though I have not tested it from 100% to 0%, I have charged it to 100% and run it down to about 74 miles left in the batteries. Driven gently the on-board computer is advising its giving me 4.1 miles per KWh. About 240 miles. Pretty good! Compared with 3.4 to 3.6 with a heavy right foot. I charge at home using a 7kw charge point.

Motorways are taken between 55-65mph with the odd burst at 70 ish to overtake. No hardship on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester with the roadworks. Ambient temps between 13 and 25 degC.

My question is:- Why do VW advise charging to 80% rather than 100%, especially as its designed to cope with fast charging upto 100kw. Cant see why full charging at 7Kw could do any harm.
Li-Ion traction batteries suffer less degradation if not charged to full then emptied to empty. All manufacturers recommend this. And if you do charge past 80% you should time it so that the battery is above 80% for the shortest time possible and only do it when it's absolutely essential.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 192

Waldemar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:46 pm Why do VW advise charging to 80% rather than 100%, especially as its designed to cope with fast charging upto 100kw. Cant see why full charging at 7Kw could do any harm.

Here's what they say: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... ranty.html

From other things I've read, it's more that the buffer is small and Li-Ion batteries don't like being kept fully charged for lengths of time - I don't think charging via AC or DC has much to do with it.
yogiran

Post by yogiran »

I have the ist edition Max, 58kw, sept. 2020. Initially when charging to100% i would get 440 to 450 kilometers potential range. Now last 2 times I got just under 400 km and last one 380km potential range. I normally charge 80 to 90%.
Anyone else having this issue with charging? I have used 50kw public chargers.
Thanks
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

I appreciate that the car can only predict the range based on recent or current driving experience (or a combination of both).
From new we charged our 77kWh ID.3 very slowly on a normal mains three pin plug and charged to 80%. Extrapolating from the predicted range when charged to 80% we could have expected a range on 100% of 360 miles.

Then we drove to France, cruising at 110 k.p.h through horrendous heavy rain. I would expect driving under such conditions to increase the consumption of any car.
The day after arriving at our destination in the mountains we drove fairly gently down the mountain and back up again.
We charged to 80%
The predicted range at 80% was 195 miles. Which in theory on 100% would give 243 miles .

So my question now is: over what time period does the ID.3 monitor consumption in order to calculate a predicted range?
Does it depend on your driving pattern and driving conditions over the last hour, the last day, or what?

I sure hope that the change from 360 to 243 does not reflect battery degradation, but just driving conditions.

Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
Deleted User 192

LongMynd wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:18 pm So my question now is: over what time period does the ID.3 monitor consumption in order to calculate a predicted range?
Does it depend on your driving pattern and driving conditions over the last hour, the last day, or what?

I don't think VW have told anyone, but am absolutely certain the change in your numbers won't be degradation.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Given your description of events, the 'Most recent' consumption was driving back Up the mountain. It's that recent consumption that will kill your predicted mileage. Get in it, regen down the mountain and park up.. you're predicted range should shoot up.