Beware the congestion charges in London

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
peterg

Post by peterg »

So I thought a trip into London would be completely free of charges……not so. Firstly the ULEZ emission fee is free….but you have to enter your reg and it confirms the car will not need to pay.
But the congestion charge…… you need to pay a one of fee of £ 10 online which then gives you free access tot the congestion zone but takes up to 10 days to activate. So I ended up paying the £15 congestion charge for a trip the following day.
If I hadn’t checked then it would have been the £80 fine minimum.
Best get the £10 registration fee paid ASAP anybody thinking of a trip into London.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We're having a bit of a road trip next week - down to Southampton for a few days, then Legoland Windsor, then staying at Wembley for a few days while getting the tube into Central London for sightseeing. I shouldn't stray anywhere near the ULEZ zone.

Agreed though, shouldn't take more than a day to process a registration.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Having registered myself I can guarantee it takes more than a day for TfL to process the registration, I can’t remember exactly but it was about a week
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

You won't go anywhere near ULEZ. My car was already known as ULeZ though, but I had to show them the V5C to register as free for congestion and I have to renew once a year. Why? They know its an electric car!
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Yes, annoying that, maybe it’s the space taken up on the road or the rubber laid down on it from the tyres ;) I guess it’s pure revenue generation
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

CarterHounslow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:53 am You won't go anywhere near ULEZ. My car was already known as ULeZ though, but I had to show them the V5C to register as free for congestion and I have to renew once a year. Why? They know its an electric car!
I'm guessing that ULEZ and the DVLA don't update each other so once you've registered your Reg as an EV you could transfer it back to a 6 litre Diesel truck and for a year at least not pay CG?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

peterg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:23 pm So I thought a trip into London would be completely free of charges……not so. Firstly the ULEZ emission fee is free….but you have to enter your reg and it confirms the car will not need to pay.
But the congestion charge…… you need to pay a one of fee of £ 10 online which then gives you free access tot the congestion zone but takes up to 10 days to activate. So I ended up paying the £15 congestion charge for a trip the following day.
Best get the £10 registration fee paid ASAP anybody thinking of a trip into London.
Errr. I just tried to register mine for the congestion charge, and the TfL website told me I have to pay congestion charge as normal? They've really hidden this application well. Finally found it by Google Search and through driveelectric.com

Also, what do they mean by 'the vehicle needs to be registered as electric'? Registered with or by whom? Way to go TfL.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

CarterHounslow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:53 am You won't go anywhere near ULEZ. My car was already known as ULeZ though, but I had to show them the V5C to register as free for congestion and I have to renew once a year. Why? They know its an electric car!
Because they are useless?

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

Birmingham does a better job as it goes automatic no need to register they check your license plate and knows it's a BEV 8-)
SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

peterg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:23 pm So I thought a trip into London would be completely free of charges……not so. Firstly the ULEZ emission fee is free….but you have to enter your reg and it confirms the car will not need to pay.
Thanks for the heads-up. I would have driven there with a smile on my face, until the £80 fine arrived on my doormat.