Why did you get an ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Scratch wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:37 am
Steve_ID3 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 pm I was very close to buying an electric corsa, but I couldn't decide. I then had a test drive of an ID3 and it was obvious it was a game changer. The price was around £28, 500 with discounts and I made the leap. Best decision I have made. Love the car and range is very impressive. Yes, there are minor issues, but overall it is superb and I have no regrets.
Oh my word! A Corsa? That was close. You do know they are made by Vauxhall? Personally, with the knowledge of past experience, I wouldn't cross the road to go to a Vauxhall dealer. Of coarse, others may have other opinions.
Can vouch for this. I have an electric corsa and it's terrible - the estimated range is worse than other EVs - says 120 miles at 100%. There's no percentage displayed anywhere, regen is ok at best. Eco mode turns off the heating completely. Charging info doesn't even stay on
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit

slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

I have a tour Pro S on order. I am a motability customer so my choice is limited to what is on the scheme. Was looking at hybrids but for personal reasons I had decided that I really wanted Adaptive Cruise Control on my next car. This limited me with regard to Seat and Puggies as this was only available on the high spec models which were quite expensive up front payment on the scheme. If I am honest I also wanted a bit of poke as have been driving a Skoda Karoq which has been a brilliant car, but is a tad underpowered.

Also available cars are falling of the scheme left right and centre. There were three vehicles on the scheme that were electric with good range with these being the Kona, Kia Soul and the ID3. Kona did not have enough headroom for me and felt a bit small. The Soul would have been ordered but for my leg flopping on to the door trim just where there was a sticky out bit and it irritated me within a mile of the test drive. Test drove an ID3 (three times) and that was that! Agonised over the reduced size but then remembered that I drove a Rover 220 sdi turbo and a focus for many years with a family and we managed fine so leccy driving here I come.
20.08.21 Order Tour Pro S Bog Standard Robinsons VW Lowestoft
Order Number 31435***
16.02.22 Given Build Week 37
29.05.22 Given Build Week 34
02.07.22 Given Build Week 36!
12.08.22 Given Build Week 48!
02.23 confirmed build week 09
Collection 28.04.23
AndyMorgan

Post by AndyMorgan »

My 4x4 is showing its age, maybe got 2-3 years max left in it.
Also, fossil fuel cars are now on their way out and electric is on its way in/up.
Commuting reasons, plus I do a lot of short town-style driving at the weekends.
Made sense.
I'm sure I can cope with longer treks when I need to.

Had a look at Hyundai electric cars but ID.3 seemed better, so I dived in and got one.
It was a good decision - I love it.
150kw Life Pro Performance, standard kit, Manganese Grey, July 2021.
Airdrie, Scotland
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

slef2003 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:39 am I have a tour Pro S on order. I am a motability customer so my choice is limited to what is on the scheme. Was looking at hybrids but for personal reasons I had decided that I really wanted Adaptive Cruise Control on my next car. This limited me with regard to Seat and Puggies as this was only available on the high spec models which were quite expensive up front payment on the scheme. If I am honest I also wanted a bit of poke as have been driving a Skoda Karoq which has been a brilliant car, but is a tad underpowered.

Also available cars are falling of the scheme left right and centre. There were three vehicles on the scheme that were electric with good range with these being the Kona, Kia Soul and the ID3. Kona did not have enough headroom for me and felt a bit small. The Soul would have been ordered but for my leg flopping on to the door trim just where there was a sticky out bit and it irritated me within a mile of the test drive. Test drove an ID3 (three times) and that was that! Agonised over the reduced size but then remembered that I drove a Rover 220 sdi turbo and a focus for many years with a family and we managed fine so leccy driving here I come.
I'm a Motability customer as well. I was all set to get a Nissan Leaf until the quarterly updates came out at the beginning of April, I was free to order from early April, and the ID.3 was suddenly available. I collected a Life Pro 58kwh today. So far so good!
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

Good luck with the car. Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
Order Number 31435***
Collection 28.04.23
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

slef2003 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:42 pm Good luck with the car. Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
I live on the south coast of England. As a family we were planning on moving to Fife, in 1979, but things changed and I won't bore you with the details! What made you suspect Scotland? My old man is Scottish though (he's from the Kingdom) , you're close! :D
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
darcy67

Post by darcy67 »

I had a T-Roc up until June this year then discovered I could get out of a PCP deal in profit so I took the opportunity.

I'd been looking at lots of different cars, ideally I'd get a Tesla but at the price point it's out of my reach. I checked the Volve XC40, Ford Kuga Phev and on the off chance I test drove the ID.3. I fell in love pretty much instantly. As I was test driving it and having the power available instantly I was giggling to myself as I was driving.

From then on it's seemed destined (especially when the deal on the Kuga fell through.

The waiting is killing me though...
Vauxhall

Post by Vauxhall »

Moved to EV last year, with a Renault Zoe 40Kwhr, to do our bit for the environment. Loved the Zoe and the EV experience, but had a few "difficult" longer trips due to the usual public charging challenges. The final push to look for something new was the announcement from Ecotricity that it had sold it's electric highway and the charging points were all being upgraded, but without the type 2 charging option that I needed. Auto Trader search for EV's came up with VW ID.3 in my price range. I'd never heard of it so went to the local dealer for a test drive and ordered the next day, taking delivery two weeks later. I've had it a month now and have done the "difficult" trips to the south coast, and Edinburgh. There isn't a car yet that will make those trips stress free, but the ID.3 comes pretty close.
ID.3 Life Pro 58Kwhr Stonewashed Blue
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Drop in price down to upper Golf levels, as big inside as my A4 (boot excluded) and the opportunity to pay coppers in running costs as I hardly ever charge away from home was a great motivators with another £475 VED charge coming up for the A4.

Not being an eco warrior (given Lithium battery rew material mining techniques and the amount of truly renewable energy supplying the grid), I really don't think I'm saving the world with 2 ID3s.

If I didn't have the capability for a home charger, there's no way I'd have an EV right now - for the inconvenience and costs of external charging.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:53 pm Not being an eco warrior (given Lithium battery rew material mining techniques and the amount of truly renewable energy supplying the grid), I really don't think I'm saving the world with 2 ID3s.

If I didn't have the capability for a home charger, there's no way I'd have an EV right now - for the inconvenience and costs of external charging.

You say this, but you're doing your bit as best you can which is exactly what we try to do. If more did what they could as best they could, then we would be in a better place.

We intend as much of our charging as possible to be done at home through Octopus, which is 100% renewable as far as I'm aware. We can't control the rest of the grid, but we can do our best to tread as lightly as possible with our purchasing decisions. The ID.3 net zero production was an additional draw for us when deciding on the ID.3 no matter how "gimmicky" people feel it is in reality. At least effort is being made.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The best thing environmentally about owning an EV is playing a big part in the reduction of air pollution (especially NO2).

There are still questions about particulates from tyres and brake usage - and the often lack of ethics in rare earth metal mining. But overall - ownership instead of an ICE is a very positive step.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:57 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:53 pm Not being an eco warrior (given Lithium battery rew material mining techniques and the amount of truly renewable energy supplying the grid), I really don't think I'm saving the world with 2 ID3s.

You say this, but you're doing your bit as best you can which is exactly what we try to do. If more did what they could as best they could, then we would be in a better place.

We intend as much of our charging as possible to be done at home through Octopus, which is 100% renewable as far as I'm aware. We can't control the rest of the grid, but we can do our best to tread as lightly as possible with our purchasing decisions. The ID.3 net zero production was an additional draw for us when deciding on the ID.3 no matter how "gimmicky" people feel it is in reality. At least effort is being made.
I think my case demonstrates that the majority of people won't buy an EV (or 2, in my case) unless they're not getting stung in the pocket and it's not unconventional vs ICE to have one (for those with no means of charging at home, its likely to be costly and inconvenient with the current state of public charging).

Meanwhile, Europe compliant ICE cars are pretty clean if they have DPFs/GPFs/Ad-blue systems.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

[/quote]

I think my case demonstrates that the majority of people won't buy an EV (or 2, in my case) unless they're not getting stung in the pocket and it's not unconventional vs ICE to have one (for those with no means of charging at home, its likely to be costly and inconvenient with the current state of public charging).

I don’t have a home charger nor does the ID3 owner a few doors up from me
We use the council run BP pulse charger local to use at a charge of 7.85 a month, I need to charge about 7 times a month so for me that’s a bargain !
Advice to others considering buying an EV is to do your research and check out your local chargers
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

StuartT wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 am
slef2003 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:42 pm Good luck with the car. Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
I live on the south coast of England. As a family we were planning on moving to Fife, in 1979, but things changed and I won't bore you with the details! What made you suspect Scotland? My old man is Scottish though (he's from the Kingdom) , you're close! :D
Hmmm, Aint got a clue where that come from lol. I was all set for a discussion about which bit of Scotland you were in! Never mind I have been to a few grounds in Fife as I lived in the west coast for 10 years and became a commited (should have been) St Mirren supporter.
Order Number 31435***
Collection 28.04.23
djkav

Post by djkav »

slef2003 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:39 am I have a tour Pro S on order. I am a motability customer so my choice is limited to what is on the scheme.
Likewise, I also went for the Tour Pro S in Stonewash Blue.

I chose the EV route as I wanted to save fuel costs, with the rising petrol and diesel costs. I looked into hybrids, but the MPG was just the same as a decent diesel.

I chose the bigger 77kw battery for trips out, and to counter the range reduction in the winter months.
Motability Customer
ID3 Tour (Standard) --- Stonewashed Blue
Ordered 29-Aug-2021 --- #31421
When will it be built... Answers on a postcard.
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Warminster id wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:00 pm

I don’t have a home charger nor does the ID3 owner a few doors up from me
We use the council run BP pulse charger local to use at a charge of 7.85 a month, I need to charge about 7 times a month so for me that’s a bargain !
Advice to others considering buying an EV is to do your research and check out your local chargers
[/quote]

This is what I do!

EVs are overall cleaner than ICE cars and even if you only have "just 2 EVs" people will see yours and believe it's possible which will have a knock-on effect. Companies will see there's a demand and invest more and more money into tech, infrastructure AND renewable energy. And more importantly, we'll stop burning fuels SOONER. Plus we avoid air pollution
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
JOHNKAMIQ

Post by JOHNKAMIQ »

Cheap to run and wanted to do my bit for the environment.

I had found that living in Scotland we could use chargers run by councils are free. We mainly use these only using the home charger rarely.

So far we have paid out less than £ 100 in over 5,500 miles of driving. I often thank friends for paying for my fuel! The costs came from a trip into England when we needed to charge on the way.
Greenman14

Post by Greenman14 »

I’ve been looking for ways to reduce my carbon footprint for some time and decided that the current crop of EVs are good enough, not perfect and neither is the charging infrastructure, but I can live with the niggles. I tested 3 cars- Kia Niro, Peugeot 2008 and the ID3 and the ID3 was a clear winner. I was also swayed by the fact that it’s a no-compromise EV, no hybrid or IC options so fewer design compromises. I also like the minimalist interior, though a sharper response from the big screen would be good, maybe there’s a software upgrade on the way. Regardless it’s just a niggle I can live with..