Why did you get an ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

I was just wondering what each person's reasons were for getting an ID.3.
Was it for eco reasons: Ecology or Economics or both or something else?
Me, primarily, I wanted to try and reduce my use of carbon-fuels and I think that electric vehicles are on their way anyway.
I appreciate that they're not perfect yet but, the only way that VW have any chance of succeeding is if people back them and what they're trying to do.
I'm not an eco-warrior (I've asked for a standard number plate without the green stripe) but I'm just trying to be aware and the fact that electric cars seem so effortless to drive is a big bonus! The future is here, I believe.
I'll get my tin-helmet now!
Cheers,
Stuart
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Economics, Air pollution and - it’s just so much better!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Ageing polo was up for replacement
Girls left for Uni so no need for 2 cars (one being a large 4x4)
Air Pollution - we try to do our bit when we can
We have solar panels generating 3kw - 5kw from 10am to 3pm most of the year - perfect for the granny trickle
The drive is good, we like acceleration and the confidence this gives when navigating Spanish drivers is significant
I'm a tech head, I love beta-testing, so went into the purchase eyes wide open [still only real issue is SatNav]
Car size - perfect for Barcelona and 95% of our trips, the other 5% we rent what we need (e.g. skiing, long drive to unchartered places)
And finally, the community of EV drivers is great, I've lost count of the conversations I've had a charging points with other new drivers that have led to coffee, hints and tips and a sense of "I made the right choice"

We are very happy with our ID3, despite the few minor issues (apart from the aircon, which is now fixed)

For info, we tracked usages of the iD3 vs the Velar for the first 3 months we had the iD3,. Outside of a single weekend when it was cold, bearing in mind where we live, we didn't use the Velar, so we finally sold it in May.

Have been 1 car since then. Only renting an ICE when both daughters are home because we don't see the iD3!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Economics and Curiosity.
We had a Bi-Turbo Tiguan that I had started to think about moving on, it was loads of fun but cost a fortune to run and finding a replacement with all the same toys (and more) was pushing the cost too high. (I got a real steal on the original car). As it turned out the Tiguan's first MOT was done on March 17th 2020 and were told to stay at home from that week as we all know so the Tiguan sat on the drive hardly moving for 12months nearly. (Shortly after there was the MOT amnesty but ho hum.)

Working from home, significant annual mileage reduction and impending future switch to electric, I thought if I can't make it work now I never will. (It's been much less of an an issue than I thought but I do need to do a full winter with it. I love the ID.3 and haven't missed the Tiguan at all (except maybe the performance))

Whatever replaced the Tiguan had to be a hatchback to accommodate the dog, a permanently over excited Springer and my son plays hockey (as a goalie) so his kit bag needed to fit. Thought briefly about the model 3 but it didn't suit. (Would have pushed the outgoing monthlies up also)

I've since had a 5.8kW PV array fitted (3.6kW nominal) and it just makes more and more sense, but It was all long term cost motivated more than Eco-warrior. Since being installed in May I have put just over 200kW of 'Free' energy into the car which is a bonus. (1000kW paid for) now I have Octopus Go I expect to see significant running cost reductions.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Anduain wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:59 am Ageing polo was up for replacement
Girls left for Uni so no need for 2 cars (one being a large 4x4)
Air Pollution - we try to do our bit when we can
We have solar panels generating 3kw - 5kw from 10am to 3pm most of the year - perfect for the granny trickle
The drive is good, we like acceleration and the confidence this gives when navigating Spanish drivers is significant
I'm a tech head, I love beta-testing, so went into the purchase eyes wide open [still only real issue is SatNav]
Car size - perfect for Barcelona and 95% of our trips, the other 5% we rent what we need (e.g. skiing, long drive to unchartered places)
And finally, the community of EV drivers is great, I've lost count of the conversations I've had a charging points with other new drivers that have led to coffee, hints and tips and a sense of "I made the right choice"

We are very happy with our ID3, despite the few minor issues (apart from the aircon, which is now fixed)

For info, we tracked usages of the iD3 vs the Velar for the first 3 months we had the iD3,. Outside of a single weekend when it was cold, bearing in mind where we live, we didn't use the Velar, so we finally sold it in May.

Have been 1 car since then. Only renting an ICE when both daughters are home because we don't see the iD3!
In my youth, I was a motorcyclist and I'm guessing the ev community is a similar thing - outsiders, to many, and enjoying being one! I'm guessing the community won't last forever, as EVs become more and more common.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:34 pm Economics and Curiosity.
We had a Bi-Turbo Tiguan that I had started to think about moving on, it was loads of fun but cost a fortune to run and finding a replacement with all the same toys (and more) was pushing the cost too high. (I got a real steal on the original car). As it turned out the Tiguan's first MOT was done on March 17th 2020 and were told to stay at home from that week as we all know so the Tiguan sat on the drive hardly moving for 12months nearly. (Shortly after there was the MOT amnesty but ho hum.)

Working from home, significant annual mileage reduction and impending future switch to electric, I thought if I can't make it work now I never will. (It's been much less of an an issue than I thought but I do need to do a full winter with it. I love the ID.3 and haven't missed the Tiguan at all (except maybe the performance))

Whatever replaced the Tiguan had to be a hatchback to accommodate the dog, a permanently over excited Springer and my son plays hockey (as a goalie) so his kit bag needed to fit. Thought briefly about the model 3 but it didn't suit. (Would have pushed the outgoing monthlies up also)

I've since had a 5.8kW PV array fitted (3.6kW nominal) and it just makes more and more sense, but It was all long term cost motivated more than Eco-warrior. Since being installed in May I have put just over 200kW of 'Free' energy into the car which is a bonus. (1000kW paid for) now I have Octopus Go I expect to see significant running cost reductions.
Sometimes, to do something just make sense. It's as simple as that!
Cheers
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Climate impact and our consciences.
We’re able to live perfectly well using less fossil fuel (and animal products in our case), so why not we thought. Guilty little secret is the ICE 2 seat sports car, not sure for how long.

ID.3 was a replacement for a Volvo V40 T5, up until then no EV fitted the bill as a stylish, decent performing, well spec’d general runabout, 2 dog transporter and occasional longer trip cruiser for the money we wanted to pay. Test drive sealed it, glad we made the leap, such a cool, modern drive and enough tech to satisfy my always wanting the latest habit.

Community aspect has been a welcome bonus and the running cost economics will pay for the charger and other paraphernalia soon enough :)
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

StuartT wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:41 pm In my youth, I was a motorcyclist and I'm guessing the ev community is a similar thing - outsiders, to many, and enjoying being one! I'm guessing the community won't last forever, as EVs become more and more common.
I haven't owned a motorcycle in the last 15 years and previously my riding was for convenience (working in a city centre) more than pleasure.. but recently we have been watching 'The Long way up' with Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor and I must say I have been looking at the Harley Davidson Livewire and dreaming a bit..
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Leccy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 pm Climate impact and our consciences.
We’re able to live perfectly well using less fossil fuel (and animal products in our case), so why not we thought. Guilty little secret is the ICE 2 seat sports car, not sure for how long.

ID.3 was a replacement for a Volvo V40 T5, up until then no EV fitted the bill as a stylish, decent performing, well spec’d general runabout, 2 dog transporter and occasional longer trip cruiser for the money we wanted to pay. Test drive sealed it, glad we made the leap, such a cool, modern drive and enough tech to satisfy my always wanting the latest habit.

Community aspect has been a welcome bonus and the running cost economics will pay for the charger and other paraphernalia soon enough :)
As much as I say that I'm not an eco-warrior, I am aware that something has to change, and because I can now get a car that runs on electricity, I will.
Change is something, as a species, we don't like. It takes us out of our comfort zones!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Leccy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 pm Climate impact and our consciences.

Mine replaced a v40 too. A D2 though… nice cars. Comfiest I’ve ever owned. despite mainly being used on the Motorway - living in a city means an ICE really wasn’t helping the already awful air quality we can get. Nothing like walking a child to school every day past stationary rush hour traffic to ram that home. Time to change - and change starts at home.
Lester

Post by Lester »

Retired, moved to a town, wanted one car instead of two and we like the idea of electric cars.

Why the ID.3 in particular? The rear bike carrier.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Lester wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:26 pm Retired, moved to a town, wanted one car instead of two and we like the idea of electric cars.

Why the ID.3 in particular? The rear bike carrier.
Perhaps, they should use that as a selling point!
Bikes are more popular than ever.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Why a new car? Not bought a new car for 20 years, my Mercedes C350 CDi was starting to cost me plus I didn’t want a diesel any more.

Why the ID.3? I liked the look of the concept images then the first physical examples, I knew I wanted to drive one, I bought mine 24 hours after a first test drive. It’s so different, smooth and easy to drive, it looks good, as well as being dirt cheap to run!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.

At around £35k or under £500/month on the PCP for my ID.3 1st Edition, a Model 3 was beyond what I wanted to spend.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m not a tree hugger but was really moved seeing those poor people in Germany losing their lives and homes due to the recent flooding. I was all set to test drive a VW Tiguan and on the morning of the test drive I decided spontaneously to go electric and get an ID.3. Didn’t think I’d be able to afford one but the recent price reduction, qualifying for the grant, a VW contribution, an above average trade in for my Ateca and matching a Carwow discount meant it all suddenly fell into place. Can’t wait until March!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Scratch wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.
We got a "Pro Max", fully loaded pretty much - why? - Brand, size, local support (Spain), dealer network
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I test drove most electric cars between 30 and 45k and its by far the best.
1. Lovely drive, for passengers as well
2. Fantastic handling as batteries are mid weight and its rear wheel drive
3. Weight of car and height of ride makes for robust, confident and classy ride
4. Interior space is unreal, a tardis. We came in to buy an ID4 and walked out with an ID3.
5. Feel of steering wheel, rake and reach, quality of materials. A lovely coseting in front.
6. Touch controls. So clever to get rid of the things that most often break. We love the swipes and the Easter eggs :)
7. Driver display on steering barnacle. So clever that is it perfectly aligned whatever the position of the wheel position
8. The car looks so cool, especially with alloys. VW hasn't ruined the car like Tesla model 3 or Hyundai by adding a large pseudo engine compartment, or a fake grill. The one constant thing I get is compliments from people I have showed it to. In fact where I live, I am one of the first EV adopters and I have a queue of people who want test drives :)
9. The 58w battery (62 gross) has loads of range and the Pro version is very fast. Put it this way, I have left some pretty surprised Audi, BMW and porsche drivers in my rear view mirror ;)
10. In terms of EVs, now is the time to buy. Gov charger grant, 2500 off, free tax, no congestion charge in London until 2026, etc. Soon all of these benefits will be taken away as more people get evs.

If you need a bigger boot get the ID4, but i think these two cars are VWs 4th generation of EVs and are fully matured products. Although the software will deinfitely keep evolving over the air....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I'd ruled out a Leaf, as I had a 2014 model, and underneath its the same car. I know a lot of the issues, and for such an 'old' car, it's still quite pricey.

A lot of other EV's I ruled out, as they are ICE cars modified to be an EV, I like the idea that the car is designed to be what it is.

I had been considering the MG5, as I would have liked the space of an estate, and it was well priced for an EV, however, I really wanted a solid 200 mile range, for a trip we do to Leeds, to do it without charging, and the MG5 would be pushing it. The MG5 also didn't have a heated wheel or app, which I'd gotten used to with the Leaf. It also looked like an old car, and not something new.

The ID.3 edged it with its new EV specific design, an all year round 200 mile range and a heated wheel. It's more than I really wanted to spend, which is as low as possible (I'm not too far from Yorkshire), but it's affordable for me and with the way things have been over the past 18 months everyone should be doing something to make them smile, and I think driving this will.

Since selling the Leaf at the end of July, and having to drive our diesel more, I'm also sooooo glad I've stuck with an EV, as we've filled it up 5 times since the Leaf went (approx £250-300), when we would usually have filled it up once!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Go check out the puddle lights when it’s dark! They surprised me!