Why did you get an ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Lester

Post by Lester »

Retired, moved to a town, wanted one car instead of two and we like the idea of electric cars.

Why the ID.3 in particular? The rear bike carrier.

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Lester wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:26 pm Retired, moved to a town, wanted one car instead of two and we like the idea of electric cars.

Why the ID.3 in particular? The rear bike carrier.
Perhaps, they should use that as a selling point!
Bikes are more popular than ever.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Why a new car? Not bought a new car for 20 years, my Mercedes C350 CDi was starting to cost me plus I didn’t want a diesel any more.

Why the ID.3? I liked the look of the concept images then the first physical examples, I knew I wanted to drive one, I bought mine 24 hours after a first test drive. It’s so different, smooth and easy to drive, it looks good, as well as being dirt cheap to run!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.

At around £35k or under £500/month on the PCP for my ID.3 1st Edition, a Model 3 was beyond what I wanted to spend.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m not a tree hugger but was really moved seeing those poor people in Germany losing their lives and homes due to the recent flooding. I was all set to test drive a VW Tiguan and on the morning of the test drive I decided spontaneously to go electric and get an ID.3. Didn’t think I’d be able to afford one but the recent price reduction, qualifying for the grant, a VW contribution, an above average trade in for my Ateca and matching a Carwow discount meant it all suddenly fell into place. Can’t wait until March!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Scratch wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm From what I have read here, it seems nobody had to worry too much about the cost of their ID3. As an aside, I was wondering who here bought a top end spec ID3? That price is getting on for parity with the Tesla Model 3, I think.
We got a "Pro Max", fully loaded pretty much - why? - Brand, size, local support (Spain), dealer network
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I test drove most electric cars between 30 and 45k and its by far the best.
1. Lovely drive, for passengers as well
2. Fantastic handling as batteries are mid weight and its rear wheel drive
3. Weight of car and height of ride makes for robust, confident and classy ride
4. Interior space is unreal, a tardis. We came in to buy an ID4 and walked out with an ID3.
5. Feel of steering wheel, rake and reach, quality of materials. A lovely coseting in front.
6. Touch controls. So clever to get rid of the things that most often break. We love the swipes and the Easter eggs :)
7. Driver display on steering barnacle. So clever that is it perfectly aligned whatever the position of the wheel position
8. The car looks so cool, especially with alloys. VW hasn't ruined the car like Tesla model 3 or Hyundai by adding a large pseudo engine compartment, or a fake grill. The one constant thing I get is compliments from people I have showed it to. In fact where I live, I am one of the first EV adopters and I have a queue of people who want test drives :)
9. The 58w battery (62 gross) has loads of range and the Pro version is very fast. Put it this way, I have left some pretty surprised Audi, BMW and porsche drivers in my rear view mirror ;)
10. In terms of EVs, now is the time to buy. Gov charger grant, 2500 off, free tax, no congestion charge in London until 2026, etc. Soon all of these benefits will be taken away as more people get evs.

If you need a bigger boot get the ID4, but i think these two cars are VWs 4th generation of EVs and are fully matured products. Although the software will deinfitely keep evolving over the air....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I'd ruled out a Leaf, as I had a 2014 model, and underneath its the same car. I know a lot of the issues, and for such an 'old' car, it's still quite pricey.

A lot of other EV's I ruled out, as they are ICE cars modified to be an EV, I like the idea that the car is designed to be what it is.

I had been considering the MG5, as I would have liked the space of an estate, and it was well priced for an EV, however, I really wanted a solid 200 mile range, for a trip we do to Leeds, to do it without charging, and the MG5 would be pushing it. The MG5 also didn't have a heated wheel or app, which I'd gotten used to with the Leaf. It also looked like an old car, and not something new.

The ID.3 edged it with its new EV specific design, an all year round 200 mile range and a heated wheel. It's more than I really wanted to spend, which is as low as possible (I'm not too far from Yorkshire), but it's affordable for me and with the way things have been over the past 18 months everyone should be doing something to make them smile, and I think driving this will.

Since selling the Leaf at the end of July, and having to drive our diesel more, I'm also sooooo glad I've stuck with an EV, as we've filled it up 5 times since the Leaf went (approx £250-300), when we would usually have filled it up once!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Go check out the puddle lights when it’s dark! They surprised me!
RashD

Post by RashD »

I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
However, I'm facing issues with public charging points and the endless apps to download also when I first received the car the range was a good 292 but now it only charges upto 250 (on 100%) or just about 192 or 200 (on 80%) - are any of you facing this issue... does the range go down so quickly? I got on 25 June !
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

RashD wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 pm I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
However, I'm facing issues with public charging points and the endless apps to download also when I first received the car the range was a good 292 but now it only charges upto 250 (on 100%) or just about 192 or 200 (on 80%) - are any of you facing this issue... does the range go down so quickly? I got on 25 June !
Which battery do yo have?
RashD

Post by RashD »

I'm not sure it's a Pro family I've got
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Not got it yet, will order in next few days, but wanted an electric car to learn about the differences between them and ICE. Intitially will keep current car (not electric).

ID.3 is the nicest looking, sensibly priced, BEV I have seen, with a viable range. VW dealer is local, and trusted from past experience.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

RashD wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 pm I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
It learns and adjusts to your driving style. Multiple factors impact the range, driving, temperature outside, aircon.

It’ll settle down, ours went from 404 (km) in the first week to a more reasonable 320km on 80% charge.

Winter will be a lot less 😀
van

Post by van »

Firstly the feeling that it's the right thing to do at this point in time I.e. EV.
Secondly which car? Immediate thought Tesla 3. Plenty of affordable, to us, lease options, and frankly with technology changing so quickly why buy? Persuader was range, but a saloon doesn't suit our life style. Hours followed watching YouTube reviews of everything and anything. For our needs, essentially comfortable to drive, load space and range were our determinates. It boiled down to two choices- e-c4 or id3. We probably liked the e-C4 better for looks and ride. But the id3 won out primarily on range but mostly because it has been designed from the ground up as an ev, not just an alternative drive train. We're following all the Facebook groups and forums and acknowledge that inan innovative car, possibly rushed to market, there will be teething problems and in a sense having to wait 4 months is a bit of relief as the software ought to be better by the time ours arrives.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Teleopsis

Post by Teleopsis »

Didn't want to give any money to the vile Elon Musk... and the id.3 is the only serious alternative to a Tesla model 3 at this price.
Ebwoy

Post by Ebwoy »

None of this is in order of importance, but here we go:

1. Super cheap to run and maintain, no Road Tax, no ULEV or Congestion charges, cheaper council parking rates, electric is cheaper (free if you know how to get it) than petrol, less moving parts to worry about replacing, etc…

2. It’s extremely fun to drive - it’s so nippy! Properly pisses boy racers off when this middle aged man leaves them behind at the traffic lights. :lol:

3. It’s really comfortable to be in, not just for the driver but passengers as well. It really is tardís-like with how spacious it is inside.

4. Battery range to car cost ratio compared to other EVs can’t really be beat at the moment.

5. Knowing that the software interface is currently “ok” but will definitely get better over time via OTA updates is exciting.

6. Worry free driving in and around Central London when its not practical for me to cycle.

7. Range is practical for escaping the city for day or weekend trips to visit friends and folks in other parts of the UK, and hopefully one day the EU - while avoiding public transport and lowering the risk of catching the virus.

8. There’s that whole “saving the planet” thing (vegan tree-hugging liberal here)

9. It’s just a sexy looking car!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance: Metallic - Manganese Grey w/Infotainment Pack (Collected June ‘22)
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

I would echo a lot of the above points and a few more for me:
1. Did not expect this but the adaptive cruise control ( as standard) and driver assist make a 100mile commute on challenging roads a lot more pleasant.
2. Three isofix (one on front passenger seat) makes it very practical/easy/safe for carrying the 3 kids and expect the id3 to be commandeered to be the school-run car.
3. Being able to schedule charging on the app and use the granny charger supplied has worked so well I almost could do without installing a wall charger.

The one niggle in the back of my mind is how is this heavy rear-wheel drive car going to handle in icy winter conditions. Interested to hear if anyone has had that experience yet.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

In case you're worried about battery degradation, that initial range value is not based on your driving data, but the later ones are. The battery capacity hasn't changed - the indicated range has changed from wildly optimistic to accurate, based on your driving style.

When I picked up myID3 Life from Evesham to.drive back up to Newcastle, it had an indicated 309 miles, but dropped to a realistic 225 miles at motorway speeds of 75mph and aircon on.

Range is an educated guess based on how you are currently driving.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565