Why did you get an ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RashD

Post by RashD »

I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
However, I'm facing issues with public charging points and the endless apps to download also when I first received the car the range was a good 292 but now it only charges upto 250 (on 100%) or just about 192 or 200 (on 80%) - are any of you facing this issue... does the range go down so quickly? I got on 25 June !

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

RashD wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 pm I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
However, I'm facing issues with public charging points and the endless apps to download also when I first received the car the range was a good 292 but now it only charges upto 250 (on 100%) or just about 192 or 200 (on 80%) - are any of you facing this issue... does the range go down so quickly? I got on 25 June !
Which battery do yo have?
RashD

Post by RashD »

I'm not sure it's a Pro family I've got
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Not got it yet, will order in next few days, but wanted an electric car to learn about the differences between them and ICE. Intitially will keep current car (not electric).

ID.3 is the nicest looking, sensibly priced, BEV I have seen, with a viable range. VW dealer is local, and trusted from past experience.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

RashD wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 pm I had a BMW 320D auto and switched to VW ID.3 Pro not that I'm an eco warrior but heard good reviews and as I'm a frequent visitor to london and various restrictions being imposed on diesel driven cars I wanted a good change.
It learns and adjusts to your driving style. Multiple factors impact the range, driving, temperature outside, aircon.

It’ll settle down, ours went from 404 (km) in the first week to a more reasonable 320km on 80% charge.

Winter will be a lot less 😀
van

Post by van »

Firstly the feeling that it's the right thing to do at this point in time I.e. EV.
Secondly which car? Immediate thought Tesla 3. Plenty of affordable, to us, lease options, and frankly with technology changing so quickly why buy? Persuader was range, but a saloon doesn't suit our life style. Hours followed watching YouTube reviews of everything and anything. For our needs, essentially comfortable to drive, load space and range were our determinates. It boiled down to two choices- e-c4 or id3. We probably liked the e-C4 better for looks and ride. But the id3 won out primarily on range but mostly because it has been designed from the ground up as an ev, not just an alternative drive train. We're following all the Facebook groups and forums and acknowledge that inan innovative car, possibly rushed to market, there will be teething problems and in a sense having to wait 4 months is a bit of relief as the software ought to be better by the time ours arrives.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Teleopsis

Post by Teleopsis »

Didn't want to give any money to the vile Elon Musk... and the id.3 is the only serious alternative to a Tesla model 3 at this price.
Ebwoy

Post by Ebwoy »

None of this is in order of importance, but here we go:

1. Super cheap to run and maintain, no Road Tax, no ULEV or Congestion charges, cheaper council parking rates, electric is cheaper (free if you know how to get it) than petrol, less moving parts to worry about replacing, etc…

2. It’s extremely fun to drive - it’s so nippy! Properly pisses boy racers off when this middle aged man leaves them behind at the traffic lights. :lol:

3. It’s really comfortable to be in, not just for the driver but passengers as well. It really is tardís-like with how spacious it is inside.

4. Battery range to car cost ratio compared to other EVs can’t really be beat at the moment.

5. Knowing that the software interface is currently “ok” but will definitely get better over time via OTA updates is exciting.

6. Worry free driving in and around Central London when its not practical for me to cycle.

7. Range is practical for escaping the city for day or weekend trips to visit friends and folks in other parts of the UK, and hopefully one day the EU - while avoiding public transport and lowering the risk of catching the virus.

8. There’s that whole “saving the planet” thing (vegan tree-hugging liberal here)

9. It’s just a sexy looking car!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance: Metallic - Manganese Grey w/Infotainment Pack (Collected June ‘22)
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

I would echo a lot of the above points and a few more for me:
1. Did not expect this but the adaptive cruise control ( as standard) and driver assist make a 100mile commute on challenging roads a lot more pleasant.
2. Three isofix (one on front passenger seat) makes it very practical/easy/safe for carrying the 3 kids and expect the id3 to be commandeered to be the school-run car.
3. Being able to schedule charging on the app and use the granny charger supplied has worked so well I almost could do without installing a wall charger.

The one niggle in the back of my mind is how is this heavy rear-wheel drive car going to handle in icy winter conditions. Interested to hear if anyone has had that experience yet.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

In case you're worried about battery degradation, that initial range value is not based on your driving data, but the later ones are. The battery capacity hasn't changed - the indicated range has changed from wildly optimistic to accurate, based on your driving style.

When I picked up myID3 Life from Evesham to.drive back up to Newcastle, it had an indicated 309 miles, but dropped to a realistic 225 miles at motorway speeds of 75mph and aircon on.

Range is an educated guess based on how you are currently driving.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Loefr1cs

Post by Loefr1cs »

We were either going 2nd hand 42kwh i3 or id3 or model 3. While every bug I encounter in the id3 makes me think perhaps the model 3 would have been a better choice, this is more than countered by the reduced cost, normal hatchback shape and boot, not supporting Musk (even if we do have to thank him for VWs push).

Why now? Right amount of range, reliability, price, availability, tech, build quality and fed up of spending money on burning fossil fuels. The Greek fires this summer also gave me a kick in the right direction. Oh and they're way better to drive than diesel cars.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

RashD wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 pm I'm not sure it's a Pro family I've got

Most likely the 58kWh, if it were me I’d have to know.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

I will add to my previous post as a reason for going for and ID.3 the claimed net neutral manufacturing process. To be frank, I don't believe it, but I want to :lol:
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

If you are using radio, satnav and air conditioning, like me, over a 50/50 mixture of motorway and small roads, with marginal traffic, I get around 160 miles for around 70% of battery in summer. This seems relatively generic across the range if you want a benchmark

Obviously if you eco drive carefully, 60 mph or below (note that I think 56 mph is the best kwh/mile efficiency), dont accelerate like mad, etc. you can probably do much better, but I bought this car to enjoy it, and so I am ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
RashD

Post by RashD »

Thank you for your response. I do drive on eco and yes radio, satnav are constantly on.
Steve_ID3

Post by Steve_ID3 »

I was very close to buying an electric corsa, but I couldn't decide. I then had a test drive of an ID3 and it was obvious it was a game changer. The price was around £28, 500 with discounts and I made the leap. Best decision I have made. Love the car and range is very impressive. Yes, there are minor issues, but overall it is superb and I have no regrets.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Steve_ID3 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 pm I was very close to buying an electric corsa, but I couldn't decide. I then had a test drive of an ID3 and it was obvious it was a game changer. The price was around £28, 500 with discounts and I made the leap. Best decision I have made. Love the car and range is very impressive. Yes, there are minor issues, but overall it is superb and I have no regrets.

I drove an e208, the ID.3 was in a different league…
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Steve_ID3 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 pm I was very close to buying an electric corsa, but I couldn't decide. I then had a test drive of an ID3 and it was obvious it was a game changer. The price was around £28, 500 with discounts and I made the leap. Best decision I have made. Love the car and range is very impressive. Yes, there are minor issues, but overall it is superb and I have no regrets.
Oh my word! A Corsa? That was close. You do know they are made by Vauxhall? Personally, with the knowledge of past experience, I wouldn't cross the road to go to a Vauxhall dealer. Of coarse, others may have other opinions.
Steve_ID3

Post by Steve_ID3 »

I have had 3 Astras on the bounce and they have been OK, but nothing spectacular. I was not impressed by the Electric Corsa, but it was the cheapest mainstream option available. Once I had a test drive I lost interest. The ID3 is a lot more than I would usually pay for a car, but I'm so glad I bought it.
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Felt like the old Golf Variant spent too much time at the garage... Was a difficult choice between the ID.3 and the Hyundai Kona though.