ID-3 Navigation System Live Traffic Reporting

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Could someone tell me how I go about adding live traffic information and traffic avoidance to the ID-3's Sat Nav? Currently there is no traffic information displayed. I want to try to avoid using my Tom Tom in the ID-3!

Many thanks.
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The in-car nav does have live traffic info, it will tell you traffic is building, it will re-route you.

It might not be as good as other services, but it is there.

I use Apple Maps via CarPlay most of the time though, I much prefer the overall ease of use and Siri’s voice recognition.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Same as Scott, either Apple Maps or Waze. Apple Maps for the HUD support.
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Thanks
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic
BFA

Post by BFA »

Hi Anduain,
Did you mean that Apple maps indications shows up on the HUD? I thought that only the native navigation system was using the HUD.

Thanks for confirming
Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

I find Waze is the most agile and quickest to respond to hold-ups.
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

BFA wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 pm Hi Anduain,
Did you mean that Apple maps indications shows up on the HUD? I thought that only the native navigation system was using the HUD.

Thanks for confirming
Yes, to a degree. I’ve moved from Google Maps to Apple Maps for this reason. Apple Maps shows direction info in the lower portion of the HUD which Google Maps doesn’t. What you don’t get is the large blue chevron direction indicators that show up in the upper portion of the HUD when using the in-built sat nav. I think the ID light direction indication only works with the inbuilt sat nav also.
ID.3 Max owner. Located East Dorset, UK.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Love to know where the Vw nav gets its updates - as it was bang on with all the traffic details today - even down to a strip of amber road waiting to get into a car park.
Deleted User 314

BFA wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 pm Hi Anduain,

Thanks for confirming
Yep, just not the chevrons in AR.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:06 pm Love to know where the Vw nav gets its updates - as it was bang on with all the traffic details today - even down to a strip of amber road waiting to get into a car park.

I think the mix varies as they use multiple suppliers, much as Apple and Google do. Also don’t forget that as more vehicles come online by default and send road conditions back to the VW mothership, VW’s live traffic will continue to improve. Of course the same is true for Google/Waze and to some extent Apple.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 314

MotMot wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:06 pm Love to know where the Vw nav gets its updates - as it was bang on with all the traffic details today - even down to a strip of amber road waiting to get into a car park.
Definitely not from the same place where it gets its map/poi updates from, that’s for sure 😀
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Awaiting delivery of my ID.3 however in my current car (with Apple CarPlay) I use Google maps for directions with Waze in the background on “alerts only”. Works a treat.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I just had that coming back from the Channel tunnel and Google Maps, Waze and the ID.3 system where in almost complete agreement about the route and time to Hackney. Live traffic reporting is quite good, and the key flaw (understating delay impact) is one I also note on Google Maps.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Had traffic updates on route from Legoland to Wembley Park last night ( now have 2 days in London before heading back to Newcastle).

All were accurate. My only potential gripe was that the nav sent me along the M40 to get to Wembley and I had to divert the last 8 miles by getting off the M40 before I hit the low emissions zone which would've presumably landed me with a charge? Came off as per local signage warnings to avoid low emissions zone (is that different from the congestion zone?) and went through the local roads through Ruislip and Harrow. Parked few streets away from the hotel as it looks like you only need a residents permit when Wembley are hosting an event:

I have interpreted that sign right I hope!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

Why would you be avoiding low emissions zones in an EV?
20.08.21 Order Tour Pro S Bog Standard Robinsons VW Lowestoft
Order Number 31435***
16.02.22 Given Build Week 37
29.05.22 Given Build Week 34
02.07.22 Given Build Week 36!
12.08.22 Given Build Week 48!
02.23 confirmed build week 09
Collection 28.04.23
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

slef2003 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:38 pm Why would you be avoiding low emissions zones in an EV?
You have to pre-register etc…
slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

arhhh But I believe you worried needlessly! The LEV is based on reg numbers I believe https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-em ... ntcmp=2272 but better safe than sorry lol
20.08.21 Order Tour Pro S Bog Standard Robinsons VW Lowestoft
Order Number 31435***
16.02.22 Given Build Week 37
29.05.22 Given Build Week 34
02.07.22 Given Build Week 36!
12.08.22 Given Build Week 48!
02.23 confirmed build week 09
Collection 28.04.23
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just heading back to the car to go home. Hope there's not a ticket on it for misinterpretation of that sign.

As MotMot said, I was assuming you have to pre-register like you do for the ULEZ/congestion charge in the heart of London. Was surprised to see a low emissions zone outside the ULEZ zone. When there are number plate recognition cameras everywhere, you'd expect them to feed into the DVLA to recognise an EV as well as getting your billing address to charge you, which should negate a need for pre-registering, but unfortunately it doesn't.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I think it might be because the Congestion Charge is a charge that you can (currently) apply for a 100% discount for (the "Clean Air" thing), versus the LEZ/ULEZ zones being a fine that you pay for going into them based on your vehicle emissions.

You might get a fine for non-payment of the Congestion Charge too of course.

Having the expectation that a government system might join up with other government systems to make the life of citizens easier is an expectation guaranteed to end in disappointment in my experience ;-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203