Delivery time

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

Mozart wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:34 pm New details for Utumno's spreadsheet below. Received news today from dealer that estimated delivery of my car has slipped from end of April this year to 06/01/2023!
Have we seen any other lead times go this far out of whack, or is this an anomaly? It feels a bit 🍒.

spacec0w

Post by spacec0w »

Skippy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm I got an email on Wednesday; here are the edited highlights:

Sadly, still no build week to report. It honestly is so hard to even say when we can expect your car to be ready… the information fed into the SLI systems from manufacturers can be so all over the place. One week it could be an estimated build week 16, then it could drop to 24. It is because of this that Listers advise to not give out unconfirmed build weeks as there is little accuracy in them.

So, the bit you really want to know, right? When will I get my car? Usually, we are given a build-week for your car quite quickly. This is no longer happening. Manufacturers are working on a basis that they will provide us with a build-week and build your car the following week.

Normally, we would have confirmation 4 weeks prior to confirmation of this build-week and guide you through the transition from in transit from the factory, to the port of exit, shipping and arrival at the UK port.

With the changes, vehicles, once built, tend to take anything from 4-12 weeks to arrive in the UK, depending where they are built in the world.

We know this isn’t the answer you want, or we want to give you, but cars are very much still in production and your car will be built. They are just taking much longer than normal.

The situation is changing quickly and very much out of control. The good news us that you’re in the queue and your order is price protected*.

Not what I wanted to hear, but at least I heard something.
:( :(
I actually like this explanation from the dealer. I think there's not much more they can say. From what I've been reading from this thread and other places the VW ordering/build date system just seems kind of broken right now. Probably even in good times it isn't particularly efficient, but "it works". I think juggling so many orders, from so many MEB models, with future demand and production also not clear, with so many packages and battery options on offer and the supply issues that presented, they simply cannot accurately forecast anything beyond a few weeks with the tools they have. I mean, to some extent the planning behind the scenes is obviously happening because cars are getting built, but providing accurate communication about the process seems to be impossible. Unfortunately this is a big problem when you have a hundred thousand vehicles in the queue, and VW can't or won't fix their system any time soon. I do suppose that over the next 1-1.5 years things will go back to normal and no one in VW (and also their customers) will care any more that this happened, aside from some grumbling in online forums.

It reminds me of something I've read recently that a majority of manufacturers see a serious flaws in how their JIT production process works, but only a tiny fraction actually said they were trying to do something about it to fix it in a real way in the long-term. Things will go back to normal some day soonish and mostly everyone will do things the same way they were doing them before.
T-SLOT

Post by T-SLOT »

My recently advised unconfirmed build week 36 has just been pushed to an unconfirmed build week 41.

Our EV6 ordered about 3 weeks ago with an initial delivery of late March/early April has similarly been pushed to August (hopefully 2022).

All quite frustrating.
Life Pro Performance - Moonstone Grey
Ordered: 29 September 2021
Scheduled Delivery: 14 July 2022
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Voodubber wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:28 am
Mozart wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:34 pm New details for Utumno's spreadsheet below. Received news today from dealer that estimated delivery of my car has slipped from end of April this year to 06/01/2023!
Have we seen any other lead times go this far out of whack, or is this an anomaly? It feels a bit 🍒.

It’s not unheard of - several folks have had 30+ weeks whacked on their lead times in the last few weeks. And let’s face it, the “bw40’ers” dates are on greased rails without VW even gracing us with any kind of estimate for dates. We don’t even know what MY we are, though I expect they will all be MY22, because insult often follows injury.

Also these dates are estimated delivery dates. I would not be amazed to find that dealers are padding all their dates by 6 months just to manage customer expectations.
Voodubber wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:28 am It feels a bit 🍒.

Proper lol at that 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

T-SLOT wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:34 am My recently advised unconfirmed build week 36 has just been pushed to an unconfirmed build week 41.

Our EV6 ordered about 3 weeks ago with an initial delivery of late March/early April has similarly been pushed to August (hopefully 2022).

All quite frustrating.

Sorry for missing you off the spreddy for so long! I’ve added all the details now. I blame the wine…. 🥴

It seems the only brands who ship to the UK reliably are all Chinese…
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Adam1980

Post by Adam1980 »

Once you have a build week, how long does it take to build the car?

I, maybe wrongly, assumed that building a car took a matter of hours/ days.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

sghom wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:54 pm
Up the jumper wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:28 pm Yet another update from dealer, with reg details. Begining to belive it might be happening!
If you have reg details now, & expect march delivery...... is it a '71 or a '22 ? :?
It's a 22.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
sghom

Post by sghom »

Up the jumper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:15 pm
sghom wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:54 pm
Up the jumper wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:28 pm Yet another update from dealer, with reg details. Begining to belive it might be happening!
If you have reg details now, & expect march delivery...... is it a '71 or a '22 ? :?
It's a 22.
Thanks for that. ;) As we have near identical order/build/delivery details, I'll expect mine in a few weeks then.
family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

Long time lurker, figured it was time to add my details for the tracker (see signature). After reading all the bad news on dates slipping recently, figured I'd ask for an update. As expected, it's not looking good at the moment.
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
ID3Hopefully

Post by ID3Hopefully »

I live in a happy space with so little info from my dealership that my order could come at literally any time!

It won't, but I can dream.
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Adam1980 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:14 pm Once you have a build week, how long does it take to build the car?

In normal times it would be around a week to build a car, maybe even less. However at the moment build seems to be taking around 8-12 weeks. Even longer for some people, particularly the BW40 crew!
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ksoni94 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:09 pm
Adam1980 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:14 pm Once you have a build week, how long does it take to build the car?

In normal times it would be around a week to build a car, maybe even less. However at the moment build seems to be taking around 8-12 weeks. Even longer for some people, particularly the BW40 crew!
Most mass produced cars take around 20-24 hours to build from start (a pile of metal pressings to weld into a chassis) to finish, and there's about 3 hours of infrared oven drying/curing of the paint job included in that. The drivetrain is far less complex on an EV than an ICE, so the ID3 could be a few hours quicker than a Golf to build.

You build week is just that, a planned week within which your car should be built. If it doesn't slip, your car should be built sometime in that week.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

18 weeks and counting, apparently!

Meanwhile, Tesla builds 1 every hour.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:14 pm

Most mass produced cars take around 20-24 hours to build from start (a pile of metal pressings to weld into a chassis) to finish, and there's about 3 hours of infrared oven drying/curing of the paint job included in that. The drivetrain is far less complex on an EV than an ICE, so the ID3 could be a few hours quicker than a Golf to build.

You build week is just that, a planned week within which your car should be built. If it doesn't slip, your car should be built sometime in that week.
And yet strangely cars are spending up to 15 weeks in "build" looking at the spreadsheet. I presume they are not going around and around Zwickau in ever decreasing circles. I suspect the build week date is just the date the factory officially starts looking at the order and scheduling all the parts for it to be delivered to the factory at a point in the future. Everything is Just in Time (JiT) and nothing is held in stock. Once everything is in one place, the actual physical build will take place in about 20 hours from scratch. I suspect the reason for the length of build is supply chain issues especially for integrated circuits.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Smitten wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:35 pm

And yet strangely cars are spending up to 15 weeks in "build" looking at the spreadsheet. I presume they are not going around and around Zwickau in ever decreasing circles. I suspect the build week date is just the date the factory officially starts looking at the order and scheduling all the parts for it to be delivered to the factory at a point in the future. Everything is Just in Time (JiT) and nothing is held in stock. Once everything is in one place, the actual physical build will take place in about 20 hours from scratch. I suspect the reason for the length of build is supply chain issues especially for integrated circuits.
Yeah its very curious! Although, multiple dealers seem to suggest that cars get part built and then wait around for semi-conductors 🤷🏽‍♂️
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Thats Pretty much how I understood it from the dealer, i went to see them yesterday hense got my order number, but they build them to a certain level then they are sitting around waiting for circuit boards whilst they build others.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The build week is supposed to be the week it gets built, this has historically been thecase for VWs and used to be defined as such on VW's own website. 4 weeks prior to build (prior to this unprecedented situation we find ourselves in with chip shortages etc), your order is locked and you can't make any spec changes to your order after then - at this point VW are allocating all required parts for your car, so that they arrive in time for your build.

I suspect that the reason people are seeing 15 week build times is that the build date has slipped, but VW continue to quote the original build week e.g. you have a build week of week 14 and it slips, with your car actually getting built on BW29, and your car has been in build status for 15 weeks as a result.

Really not sure how feasible it is for VW to part build thousands of cars and have the storage for them while they wait for semi-conductors to finish them off, transport back to site and complete them. They have storage capacity at Emden for about 8000 built cars for the whole VAG group, waiting to be shipped to the UK or Scandinavian countries.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I, and it seems others, are being told that part built cars are indeed being kept. I have absolutely no idea whether this is the case. Our own Tour has now been a theoretical 18 weeks in build, which is absolutely preposterous.

My own internal logic suggests to me that our vehicle being part built is actually true; because why wouldn’t the date just move out like other people’s dates have ? There are several examples of wk49 builds cancelled and rescheduled into 2022, but not our Tour. So I suspect that these extremely long build periods are for a subset of vehicles that they can store part built, and the orders they don’t have space to part build and store are the ones getting bounced into the future.

This probably bodes well for folks whose build weeks aren’t quite as crazy as the wk40 club, if the logic holds up and my guesses are right. Unfortunately it doesn’t bode well for the wk40 club, as unless there’s a concerted effort to shift those vehicles by prioritising parts they’re just going to sit and moulder in a storage facility somewhere. Also I think maintaining the wk40 build weeks guarantees a MY22 car, irrespective of when it actually gets completed.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

There's also an 8 point checkpoint system that dealers can keep track of that happens specifically during the build process. My car didn't go through all 8 over a week from what I remember it did take quite a few weeks for it to progress through all 8. I've not been able to find any info on what each checkpoint represents but it does suggest that cars are being part built and the build continues as they get the required components to take it to the next stage
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Going by how my came through it was supposed to be week 39 (2021) build.
On the 19th November it was in the paintshop so I would imagine the only process before that would be the body build. The 19th Nov was the latter end of week 46.
Then on the 25th November it was in transit to Emden.
So I don't believe these vehicles are sitting about part built.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus