My ID3 experience ...

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Chris
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 am

Post by Chris » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:56 am

We’ve had an xc90 recently for a couple of months and to be 100% honest we hated it, the petrol engine wasn’t responsive at all. Certainly not worth the £80000 price tag.

We looked at the XC40 hybrid and ev but was so disappointed with the xc90 starting shopping around.

Really happy with our id3 tour now but am always curious to why others switch.

billybobb2019
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:01 am

Post by billybobb2019 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Chris wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:56 am
We’ve had an xc90 recently for a couple of months and to be 100% honest we hated it, the petrol engine wasn’t responsive at all. Certainly not worth the £80000 price tag.

We looked at the XC40 hybrid and ev but was so disappointed with the xc90 starting shopping around.

Really happy with our id3 tour now but am always curious to why others switch.
we had tested a few others kona, kia, peugeot and the ID4 - i wanted a nice spec model and could run to either the mac in an ID 3 or mid spec ID4 - wife preferred the ID3 - our loca
volvo dealer are excellent and i do still very much like the safety and security the volvo provides but it’s getting hard to drive - can’t wait for the new one!

Scratch
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 am

colonelpurple wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:42 am
So its two months in, and I felt like sharing my thoughts

I absolutely love this car, so for those that want lots of criticism turn away now ....

Also note, I am not an eco warrior. I was looking for a new car, and bought this as it was so cool, and I am a bit of a geek and was curious about new technology

I think one of the best compliments you can give the ID3 is that its a very desirable car, and not that its a very desirable EV. i.e. it actually stands on its own as a strong competitor with all types of car, including ICEs (Internal Combustion Engine cars).

In summary, the sum of the parts are really "Car 2.0". In that this EV feels like a new generation of transport device over ICEs , which now seem to me to be primitive, noisy, slow and uncomfortable. i.e., I am not going back to one.

My car was delivered with firmware 2.1, which I find easy to use and glitch free. It can take a few seconds to get going though when the car is started. Also note that the display starts up slower the first time after a new firmware update.

My spec was Life with Derry alloys, white metalic paint and 58w pro performance model.

Here it is, in the state of the art Rugby Moto service station on the M6, 30 chargers !!!, someday all service stations will be like this:
Image

As there is no front engine, and no massive rear axle, the wheels can be moved closer to the edge of the car. In combination with no drive tunnel, it means that you get much more room inside. For example, in comparison to my previous BMW 2 Touring, which is 30cm longer (or thereabouts), there is more legroom in the ID3, for both the front and especially the rear seat passengers.

I test drove most electric cars between 30 and 45k and I though it was the best (although my spec effectually ended up costing less then 30k with discounts):
1. Lovely comfortable wafting drive, for passengers as well
2. Great handling, as batteries are mid weight and its rear wheel drive (I mean for normal drivers, not car journalists as they go around corners at dangerous speed).
3. Weight of car (1.7 tons) and height of seat makes for robust, confident and classy ride. In some ways it feels like driving a small suv, like the BMW X1.
4. Interior space is unreal, a tardis. We came in to buy an ID4 and walked out with an ID3.
5. Feel of steering wheel, rake and reach (some EVs dont have reach !!), quality of materials. A lovely cosseting in front.
6. Touch controls. So clever to get rid of the things that most often break. We love the swipes and the Easter eggs :)
7. Driver display on steering barnacle. So clever that is it perfectly aligned whatever the position of the wheel position
8. The car looks so cool, especially with alloys. VW hasn't ruined the car like Tesla model 3 or Hyundai by adding a large pseudo engine compartment, or a fake grill. The one constant thing I get is compliments from people I have showed it to. In fact where I live, I am one of the first EV adopters and I have a queue of people who want test drives :)
9. The 58w battery (62 gross) has loads of range and the Pro version is very fast. Put it this way, I have left some pretty surprised Audi, BMW and Porsche drivers in my rear view mirror ;)
10. The doors are so large. This makes it a breeze to get in and out
11. In terms of EVs, now is the time to buy. Gov charger grant, 2500 off, free tax, no congestion charge in London until 2026, etc. Soon all of these benefits will be taken away as more people get evs.

If you need a bigger boot get the ID4, but i think these two cars are VWs 4th generation of EVs and are fully matured products. Although the software will definitely keep evolving over the air....

The main negatives for me are:
1. No options to buy things separately, would have liked to buy tinted glass windows for example (might replace them anyway?)
2. Why no leather seat option, all EV drivers are not vegans!
3. Disappointing that I couldn't buy rear seat speakers
4. With clever and beautiful lighting inside at night, surprised that no lights on volume controls. Have to think this is actually an oversight, probably dropped off a spec sheet in some build sprint ....

Why I like the Life model:
1. No ski hatch in rear seats, so middle seat much better padded and comfortable when taking 3 rear seat passengers
2. Has everything we want, folding mirrors, heated seats, front and rear parking sensors. really well specced.

Would I have bought the family model if only a bit more, yes, but I don't miss 30 interior colour selection :)

I have changed to Octopus Go So easy to switch to, although I did have a smart meter already.

In terms of charging away from home, it a bit of a mess. I have joined sourcelondon (expensive as per minute cost, but you do get parking in central london), bp bulse (quite common around the country and I used on holiday as they ran the charger in the hotel - although £7.77 membership a month is not worth it unless you are using very regularly) and charge your car (I use in westfield london for free electricity). All these three send you tags or credit card like things for usage, however BP Pulse works without card on app, and sourcelondon can give you the bad payasyougo tariffs without the card, just using your credit card.

When I went from London to Chester a few weeks ago, I booked a hotel which had a charger in the car park, for convenience, and also stopped midway (although I would have made it all the 207 miles way without a charge) at the moto rugby service station on the M6 junction 1. It is very convenient as no app or membership is required, you just tap your credit card on the charger to start. Using Chester as a base, we drove all over north wales and england, e.g. to conway, liverpool, etc. and the range is so good on the ID3 I never needed to charge except at the hotel.

Basically, if you are driving from home, then having a home charger is all you need. If you go on long journeys you just need to do a bit of planning on where you will stop to charge (if needed) or where you chargers are in the final destination. Having a backup as well is good, in case the charger is broken or in use. Zapmap is great to use, but I generally do a backup lookup with the service providers own map system. If you are staying in an AirBnB or domestic house you can just buy a granny charger (13amp domestic plug socket). I bought one from Amazon for £200 and it works great. Takes around 11 hours to charge from 30->80%. Also I would get an extension cable with it, as most houses don't have sockets on the outside.

Lastly, in terms of home charger, I got a local installer (using the olevgrant site) to install a Zappi. The advantages of the Zappi are:
1. Well rated and apparently reliable
2. All chargers need wifi to control by the app (a few use cell sims). The Zappi has a clever system whereby it has a hub which connects to your router, and then sends a custom radio signal to connect to the Zappi, not wifi. this means it has much longer range then wifi, which helped me, as my garage and drive are the other side of my garden from the house.
3. It is the most clever in terms of dealing with things like solar panels and power walls, etc. although I dont have these.

I applied to have exemption from the London congestion charge. For some reason the auto registration lookup didnt work, so I sent them a photo of the registration document. It is great to drive in London on the weekends, and occasionally during the week when we go out for a drink, as my wife refuses to take the tube with high heels !!!

In summary we love this car, and two unexpected things are that my wife likes it so much she finds excuses to drive, and together with my enthusiasm means I might have underestimated my PCP annual mileage :( anyway for now we intend to purchase at the end of the PCP period, so that hopefully wont be relevant.
Hello there colonelpurple,
I suspect you still have your Zappi charger? Have you any issues with it? Do you use the timers to charge overnight? We had a Zappi installed recently and the timers refuse to work with our LIfe model.

colonelpurple
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by colonelpurple » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am

Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 am

Hello there colonelpurple,
I suspect you still have your Zappi charger? Have you any issues with it? Do you use the timers to charge overnight? We had a Zappi installed recently and the timers refuse to work with our LIfe model.
Hi there

Yes we have a zappi and very happy with it.
Basically we do all the timing on the zappi

The timer is set to boost 12:30 to 4:30 every day of the week, and the mode is eco++

So the days I want to charge, I plug the cable into the zappi first, then into the ID3, then lock the doors and just leave it. The charge comes on at 12:30 until charged

Unlike others I set the car to auto release the cable at the end of charging for various reasons, one is that I don't want it to trickle charge if it drops below 80% (or 90%) in the window. This is effectively impossible, but I have OCD 😉

Rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Scratch
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 am

colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am
Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 am

Hello there colonelpurple,
I suspect you still have your Zappi charger? Have you any issues with it? Do you use the timers to charge overnight? We had a Zappi installed recently and the timers refuse to work with our LIfe model.
Hi there

Yes we have a zappi and very happy with it.
Basically we do all the timing on the zappi

The timer is set to boost 12:30 to 4:30 every day of the week, and the mode is eco++

So the days I want to charge, I plug the cable into the zappi first, then into the ID3, then lock the doors and just leave it. The charge comes on at 12:30 until charged

Unlike others I set the car to auto release the cable at the end of charging for various reasons, one is that I don't want it to trickle charge if it drops below 80% (or 90%) in the window. This is effectively impossible, but I have OCD 😉

Rgds
Thank you for replying.
It would be interesting to know if you have any other non-standard settings on the Zappi.
A related issue I have, even though the timed charge doesn't work, is that after setting the timer on the Zappi, I then plug the cable into the car, with the cable already plugged into the Zappi, but the car starts to charge immediately. Is there something to be set that stops this happening and forces the car to wait for the timer to kick in?
It is also really interesting that you have success with the timers. When I spoke to Zappi technical help, they were adamant that their timers DO NOT work with the ID3. They said they were in consultation with VW to try and fix this.

colonelpurple
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by colonelpurple » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am

Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 am
colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am

Hi there

Yes we have a zappi and very happy with it.
Basically we do all the timing on the zappi

The timer is set to boost 12:30 to 4:30 every day of the week, and the mode is eco++

So the days I want to charge, I plug the cable into the zappi first, then into the ID3, then lock the doors and just leave it. The charge comes on at 12:30 until charged

Unlike others I set the car to auto release the cable at the end of charging for various reasons, one is that I don't want it to trickle charge if it drops below 80% (or 90%) in the window. This is effectively impossible, but I have OCD 😉

Rgds
Thank you for replying.
It would be interesting to know if you have any other non-standard settings on the Zappi.
A related issue I have, even though the timed charge doesn't work, is that after setting the timer on the Zappi, I then plug the cable into the car, with the cable already plugged into the Zappi, but the car starts to charge immediately. Is there something to be set that stops this happening and forces the car to wait for the timer to kick in?
It is also really interesting that you have success with the timers. When I spoke to Zappi technical help, they were adamant that their timers DO NOT work with the ID3. They said they were in consultation with VW to try and fix this.
They work fine with mine, and not heard of this issue before with VW before. Its not really dependent on the car i would have thought as its all controlled by the charger. Perhaps they are referring to timing from the car end ? Which has never worked for any charger.

The key thing is that timing only works in ECO++ mode, not in ECO+ mode or Fast.
Also.make sure you have upgraded all the firmware to the latest
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Scratch
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am

colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am
Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 am
colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am

Hi there

Yes we have a zappi and very happy with it.
Basically we do all the timing on the zappi

The timer is set to boost 12:30 to 4:30 every day of the week, and the mode is eco++

So the days I want to charge, I plug the cable into the zappi first, then into the ID3, then lock the doors and just leave it. The charge comes on at 12:30 until charged

Unlike others I set the car to auto release the cable at the end of charging for various reasons, one is that I don't want it to trickle charge if it drops below 80% (or 90%) in the window. This is effectively impossible, but I have OCD 😉

Rgds
Thank you for replying.
It would be interesting to know if you have any other non-standard settings on the Zappi.
A related issue I have, even though the timed charge doesn't work, is that after setting the timer on the Zappi, I then plug the cable into the car, with the cable already plugged into the Zappi, but the car starts to charge immediately. Is there something to be set that stops this happening and forces the car to wait for the timer to kick in?
It is also really interesting that you have success with the timers. When I spoke to Zappi technical help, they were adamant that their timers DO NOT work with the ID3. They said they were in consultation with VW to try and fix this.
They work fine with mine, and not heard of this issue before with VW before. Its not really dependent on the car i would have thought as its all controlled by the charger. Perhaps they are referring to timing from the car end ? Which has never worked for any charger.

The key thing is that timing only works in ECO++ mode, not in ECO+ mode or Fast.
Also.make sure you have upgraded all the firmware to the latest
All firmware is up to date and I did know about the ECO modes. The Zappi was only installed a week ago.
As for the car timers. I tried this, as the charger timers not working, and it worked. Only tried it once but will try it again shortly.
Out of interest have you got solar panels working with your setup? We don't have those (yet).

colonelpurple
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by colonelpurple » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am

Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am

All firmware is up to date and I did know about the ECO modes. The Zappi was only installed a week ago.
As for the car timers. I tried this, as the charger timers not working, and it worked. Only tried it once but will try it again shortly.
Out of interest have you got solar panels working with your setup? We don't have those (yet).
Still dont understand the response from Myenergi. If my charger works (zappi 2) then yours should 100% work, and I have not heard of this issue before, although one person said he had heard of some 2.1s not working:
https://www.speakev.com/threads/zappi-s ... ng.158319/

Can I just check the exact issue, is it that the charger starts immediately you plug in on ECO++ mode, or that it simply doesn't switch on charge at 12:30 ?

I have no solar panels or an energy wall/storage device, which would mean that ECO++ would charge if it had either of these and charge available in them.

Just looking at my other settings:
Manual and Smart charging off
Only a boost schedule is scheduled
I have also not set any pin locking
Will think of other things ...

interesting thread:
https://www.speakev.com/threads/schedul ... 163/page-2



rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Scratch
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:02 am

colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am
Scratch wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am

All firmware is up to date and I did know about the ECO modes. The Zappi was only installed a week ago.
As for the car timers. I tried this, as the charger timers not working, and it worked. Only tried it once but will try it again shortly.
Out of interest have you got solar panels working with your setup? We don't have those (yet).
Still dont understand the response from Myenergi. If my charger works (zappi 2) then yours should 100% work, and I have not heard of this issue before, although one person said he had heard of some 2.1s not working:
https://www.speakev.com/threads/zappi-s ... ng.158319/

Can I just check the exact issue, is it that the charger starts immediately you plug in on ECO++ mode, or that it simply doesn't switch on charge at 12:30 ?

I have no solar panels or an energy wall/storage device, which would mean that ECO++ would charge if it had either of these and charge available in them.

Just looking at my other settings:
Manual and Smart charging off
Only a boost schedule is scheduled
I have also not set any pin locking
Will think of other things ...

interesting thread:
https://www.speakev.com/threads/schedul ... 163/page-2



rgds
Thanks for all this.
The car begins to charge whatever setting the Zappi is set to. I have to stop the charge with the car infotainment system. I then leave the car plugged in with a Zappi timer set. When that time arrives, it doesn't start to charge.
Regarding Myenergi technical support. I have spoken to 2 different people, and they both said the same thing about their timers being incompatible with the ID3. And reading comments on the https://www.id3forums.co.uk/, it seems it may not just be the ID3, but many of the electric cars in the VW group. Seat, Skoda etc.

colonelpurple
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by colonelpurple » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:15 am

hmmm. if you are brave you could try that guys resistor trick in the second thread

Once you stop the charging in the car, I dont believe it will restart.

On my car, I plug in the zappi to the ID3. The ID3 white light on the charge point flashes white a few times and then goes to red. The light on the Zappi goes to purple.
Then, at the right time, it switchs to green as the zappi charges

The only other thing i cna think of is that my zappi is untethered and was new stock a month ago. Not sure if either makes a difference ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Post Reply