My ID.3 Life story...

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Really disappointed with the OEM Bridgestones!

I parked up on the drive this morning, following a little bit of snow. Went back to the car after about 10 minutes, to put a couple of bags in the boot, went to open the boot and the iD.3 slid forward a few inches and bumped against our other car!

There's a slight slope on the drive, but never had an issue like than before in the 10 years of living there! The only thing I can put it down to is the tyres, which I've heard bad things about, but never really thought there was an issue.

Couldn't back up, as the car was sliding side ways, so had to put the snow socks on, having cleared some snow away.

So now on the lookout for some new tyres!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Suspect this has to do with the fact that you are expecting summer tyres to perform in sub 7 degrees C winter conditions and specifically snow and ice. Not surprised the car might have slid if you have an icy, sloping drive and a heavy car. Not surprised you couldn't reverse up either as electric car pumps a lot of instant torque into the drive wheels. Solution is probably all season or winter tyres depending on where you live. This guy lives in Sweden but you can see the traction control works pretty well on ice with the correct rubber:

Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

It’s those bloody Bridgestones - they’re a hazard under normal conditions but put them on snow or ice and you’re a danger to yourself and all around you.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Smitten wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:27 pm Suspect this has to do with the fact that you are expecting summer tyres to perform in sub 7 degrees C winter conditions and specifically snow and ice. Not surprised the car might have slid if you have an icy, sloping drive and a heavy car. Not surprised you couldn't reverse up either as electric car pumps a lot of instant torque into the drive wheels. Solution is probably all season or winter tyres depending on where you live. This guy lives in Sweden but you can see the traction control works pretty well on ice with the correct rubber:

I know where you're coming from, but with the Leaf I changed from to the iD.3, there was never a problem, that only had summer tyres on, same drive, same temps (in fact, had much worse).

It has to be the OEM Bridgestone tyres.

I think even changing for a different brand summer tyre there'd be a marked improvement.

However, I'm going to see about some all season tyres if I can get them.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've had Bridgestones on 5 previous new VWs and they've been really poor in all areas. Their compound is so hard, they perform in the Summerlike decent Summer tyres do at about 2C. In the Winter they're woeful for grip, traction, feel and noise. I'm sureBridgestones must do the vast majority of its business supplying car factories, as you'd have to be mad buying these with your own money when the originals wear out.

I've never felt uncomfortable.in Winter with anything by Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli Continental, Dunlop etc, but I'm always on my guard with Bridgestones.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

So, parked up tonight after work on the drive, my other half wants the car in the morning for work instead of hers, so go to swap them round, as she's got a 5.30 start, and my ID.3 lights up a load of error messages and won't engage drive or reverse!

20220117_192740.jpg

20220117_192734.jpg

20220117_192725.jpg

20220117_192718.jpg

20220117_192712.jpg

No amount of resets or unlocking and locking did anything, so locked it and went away for an hour, came back and... its decided to put its toys back in the pram and flipping work!

A bit annoying, but hopefully a one off.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Just been out to check the charging on the car, as we're doing a 200 mile round trip tomorrow, no problem with the charging, all set fine and started... but, what's that... a thin black line on the windscreen...

On further investigation it seems as if the stone that pinged off the car on Saturday morning in the high winds, did in fact chip it and cause it to crack! :x

So now I've got to get it booked in to get it replaced (not a chance its repairable, looks to be about a foot in length) and we'll be taking the ICE to Leeds :cry:
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Blackeunos wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:51 pm Just been out to check the charging on the car, as we're doing a 200 mile round trip tomorrow, no problem with the charging, all set fine and started... but, what's that... a thin black line on the windscreen...

On further investigation it seems as if the stone that pinged off the car on Saturday morning in the high winds, did in fact chip it and cause it to crack! :x

So now I've got to get it booked in to get it replaced (not a chance its repairable, looks to be about a foot in length) and we'll be taking the ICE to Leeds :cry:

Don't forget that unless you get your windscreen replaced by a main dealer (which most insurers charge a large excess for) you'll probably also need to book a separate ADAS calibration session at a main dealer as well as the windscreen replacement, which can be a real faff if the windscreen replacers tell you on the day they can't calibrate the ADAS, despite them previously telling you they could...
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:54 pm
Blackeunos wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:51 pm Just been out to check the charging on the car, as we're doing a 200 mile round trip tomorrow, no problem with the charging, all set fine and started... but, what's that... a thin black line on the windscreen...

Don't forget that unless you get your windscreen replaced by a main dealer (which most insurers charge a large excess for) you'll probably also need to book a separate ADAS calibration session at a main dealer as well as the windscreen replacement, which can be a real faff if the windscreen replacers tell you on the day they can't calibrate the ADAS, despite them previously telling you they could...
Excuse my ignorance but "ADAS"?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

“Advanced Driver Assistance Systems”, basically the systems powered by camera/s hiding behind your windscreen.

Windscreen replacement can futz with their calibration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance ... ce_systems
Tesla Model Y Long Range

duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:46 am I've had Bridgestones on 5 previous new VWs and they've been really poor in all areas. Their compound is so hard, they perform in the Summerlike decent Summer tyres do at about 2C. In the Winter they're woeful for grip, traction, feel and noise. I'm sureBridgestones must do the vast majority of its business supplying car factories, as you'd have to be mad buying these with your own money when the originals wear out.

I've never felt uncomfortable.in Winter with anything by Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli Continental, Dunlop etc, but I'm always on my guard with Bridgestones.
IMHO and exoressed by others, it is not just the brand, it is which specific type within the range. I had bad experiences with one type of Pirelli in the past and changed to another Pirelli and it was fine. I have had excellent Bridgestone Blizzards as winter tyres. I had an ‘exciting moment’ whilst driving my UK car in Germany with Michelin tyres. The tyres are often optimized for a certain range of circumstances and the model of car: performance, weight, rolling resistance etc…..
Also from my experience living in a region where winter tyres are strongly advised (read ‘almost compulsory’) from end October to April, I have seen tyre performance can depends very much on the conditions … not just temperature but also humidity. I also had a car slide on its own with winter tyres when several days of cold weather followed by a morning of humid. Very thin layer of ice on bitumen - almost unseeable… except when I fell on my arse….
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:54 pm

Well I've booked it in and they've said that the camera will be recalibrate once the windscreen has been replaced.

I'm hoping it's a painless procedure...

Also discovered some scuffs on top of the rear spoiler that looks like it's been caused by the storms over the weekend and some flying debris :cry:
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Forgot to update this...

Got the car back from the windscreen being repaired, not sure which sensors are in the windscreen, so tried up all the assist functions, including the cruise control and all worked fine.

The only issue was the black trim at the bottom of the windscreen that the wipers come through wasn't on right.

Haven't had time to calling to the window place, and just jad a positive covid test, so stuck not able to do much at the minute, so thought I'd fill up the washer fluid, as its been pinging me the past few journey's that it's been low. Had a look at the trim, and it appears that it's not screwed, bolted or clipped in place and I could easily slide it along a little to line it up better. 👍

Another thing I noticed once the bonnet was up, was how clean it seems under there, compared to other cars. It seems that there's not much airflow through the grille that then goes in to the space under the bonnet, allowing dirt to build up.

P.s. almost 6 months in to ownership and still love the car. It might be the base spec, but it has everything that I need, most of the bits I might want, and it's a really nice place to be. Plus, it's the first car that I bought that has appreciated in value, which takes the sting out of such a big purchase!
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Blackeunos wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 pm P.s. almost 6 months in to ownership and still love the car. It might be the base spec, but it has everything that I need, most of the bits I might want, and it's a really nice place to be. Plus, it's the first car that I bought that has appreciated in value, which takes the sting out of such a big purchase!
Echo this. I'm now 5 months into running a Life Pro Performance and actually look forward to getting into the car and driving. So easy. So convenient. So comfortable. So smile-inducing (both external and internal smiles...)

Overall - there are alternatives that do certain things better than the ID.3 - but they all, in my opinion, also have more things that are worse. The ID.3 is the best choice right now if you can get one*

*I probably won't be saying this in 3 years time when car-tech has leapfrogged where we are now, but I really hope VW keep ahead of the curve and improve on an already solid base.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

davidwalton wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:24 pm
Blackeunos wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 pm P.s. almost 6 months in to ownership and still love the car. It might be the base spec, but it has everything that I need, most of the bits I might want, and it's a really nice place to be. Plus, it's the first car that I bought that has appreciated in value, which takes the sting out of such a big purchase!
Echo this. I'm now 5 months into running a Life Pro Performance and actually look forward to getting into the car and driving. So easy. So convenient. So comfortable. So smile-inducing (both external and internal smiles...)

Overall - there are alternatives that do certain things better than the ID.3 - but they all, in my opinion, also have more things that are worse. The ID.3 is the best choice right now if you can get one*

*I probably won't be saying this in 3 years time when car-tech has leapfrogged where we are now, but I really hope VW keep ahead of the curve and improve on an already solid base.
I agree with you it really does do everything you need it too even on long journeys, just hope VW keep up with the pack ready for my change in 3 years
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Maybach

Post by Maybach »

I too am a very happy owner of a Pro Life. I have had mine since August. It was the only unallocated car my dealer had coming into the country so I bought it. It has East Derry alloys and a heat pump. Have done a few long journeys. I love driving it. I am 6ft 5 ins and find it really comfortable. Even though I have the 148bhp model, performance is brilliant. The acceleration from 0 to 30 is more than enough for town driving. I haven’t had any info - tainment issues. Charging from a Podpoint in my garage is reliable.
I have had quite a few cars over the years and this is probably better than all of them. Switching to BEV was the right thing for me. My only concern is the slow growth of charging infrastructure and the unreliability of many charging points. We need a lot more Gridserve electric forecourts. Braintree is excellent.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Well, still loving my iD.3, after over 8 months of ownership!

In fact, so much so that I've bought a treat for it.

As I only have the lowly Life spec, I've bought a set of animated wing mirror indicators to give it a bit of an upgrade. Needless to say, this was only because they were a LOT cheaper than the £200+ retail cost.

Hopefully be here next week!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Blackeunos wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 pm Well, still loving my iD.3, after over 8 months of ownership!

In fact, so much so that I've bought a treat for it.

As I only have the lowly Life spec, I've bought a set of animated wing mirror indicators to give it a bit of an upgrade. Needless to say, this was only because they were a LOT cheaper than the £200+ retail cost.

Hopefully be here next week!
What are they???
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Daveion wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:01 am What are they???
They are the mirror indicator. The standard life ones just flash, the higher spec cars have the animated ones that light up starting at one end and the light moves across to the outside. (Sorry, bit of a crap explanation.

They are these.. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... xE1tqArX8Z
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Blackeunos wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:05 am
Daveion wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:01 am What are they???
They are the mirror indicator. The standard life ones just flash, the higher spec cars have the animated ones that light up starting at one end and the light moves across to the outside. (Sorry, bit of a crap explanation.

They are these.. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... xE1tqArX8Z
Ahhh. I didn't know mine were not animated
They face away from you.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22