My ID.3 Life story...

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

No doubt I'll be getting a few bits and having a play with my new ID.3 when I finally get it next week, so thought I'd post some information as I go.

Background first, I've had a Nissan Leaf 24kWh Tekna since the end of 2016, so I'm pretty familiar with EV's, and being used to a range of less than 90 miles, the ID.3 should be a doddle!

I have a 16A Podpoint solo, which I got when I bought the Leaf, which I will hopefully get changed to 32A in 6 months when the house gets rewired.

I ordered my ID.3 mid July, luckily it was a car the dealer had ordered for stock, so was already in the build queue, hence not such a long wait.

Whilst waiting I've ordered some mud flaps... https://www.torque-alliance.com/collect ... ash-guards

and a boot liner...
https://www.torque-alliance.com/collect ... boot-liner

from Torque Alliance in the Netherlands, as well as a 10m type 2 tethered lead to replace the type 1 that is currently on the Podpoint...
https://ev-extras.com/collections/tethe ... 5m-or-10-m

I'm still deciding on what mats to get, but I'll hopefully sort that over the next week or so.
Last edited by Blackeunos on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

The first real problem with getting ready for life with the ID.3 doesn't have much to do with the ID.3, but rather the new type 2 tethered cable.

The termination of the wires didn't fit my Podpoint terminal block, so I'm having to change them.

The type 2 tethered cable came with open spade connectors crimped on to the live, neutral and earth wires, but they are too wide to fit in to the terminal blocks. The current cable has, what I have since found out are called, bootlace ferrules.

New cable...

Old cable...

Having spoken to an electrician friend (who didn't have a clue what they were called, and didn't have the tool to do it) I've been recommended a tool to do it and am awaiting it's arrival, to get the new cable fitted.

I've gone for a 10m cable, as my previous cable for the Leaf was 5 metres, and I was sick of 5 years of having to swap the cars about on the drive to get a charge!
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I ordered the tool on Thursday and it arrived today, the time to change the connectors was about 10 minutes, and it's all ready to get wired into my Podpoint ready for the ID.3 arriving middle of this week!

New tool, a nice new addition to the man cave...

Old spade connectors...

Cut and stripped...

New bootlace ferrules crimped on...

Wired into the Podpoint...

Make shift holder and raincover until I can get a new one 3D printed...
craig

Post by craig »

cracking job enjoy the new car
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I was hoping that my dealer could deliver the ID.3 on Tuesday evening, and leave it on the drive ready to drive to work on the 1st... But they can't, so I'm having to pick it up at 4.30 after work.. 😭

Can't wait!
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Finally collected my new ID.3!

Only a quick pic, as it's been a bit hectic tonight, will get some more over the weekend (excuse the wheelie bin, don't want to miss the bin men in the morning!)

The boot liner seems a good fit, will get the mud flaps on at the weekend, and get some pictures of both.

Tried to set up the we connect, but it came up with an error on the in car screen, and wouldn't display the QR code, hopefully it's just to do with the signal strength so will try later in the week.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Looks good. And thanks for the pod point photos I’m changing mine soon for a longer cable so was really helpful to see 👍
First edition

Share £100 with me when you sign up
share.octopus.energy/dense-crab-700
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Lammy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:20 pm Looks good. And thanks for the pod point photos I’m changing mine soon for a longer cable so was really helpful to see 👍
It really was as easy as wiring a plug, so if the cable comes with connections that fit the terminal blocks it's a really quick job.
Last edited by Blackeunos on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Here's the boot liner...
Good fit, decent depth. You can see where there's a fold that's designed in for shipping.

Not as impressed with the mudflaps. Here they are...
They seem decent quality, but I'm not keen on the fit of them. The rear ones are fine...
Dead simple to fit, take 2 screws for the arch liners out, fit the flap, then put the screws back in. It's the fronts I'm not keen on, they leave a bit of a gap at the rear of the flap, which looks like it could collect mud and leaves in, which won't be good.
So it looks like I won't be putting the flaps on.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I gave the we connect another go, and managed to get the QR code up in the car, so that's all sorted, just Android Auto to do.

Is it a WiFi link that's supposed to be used for Android Auto? When I try to connect my phone to the car it asks for the password, but I haven't a clue where to find it!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Blackeunos wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:48 pm Here's the boot liner...
Good fit, decent depth. You can see where there's a fold that's designed in for shipping.

Not as impressed with the mudflaps. Here they are...
They seem decent quality, but I'm not keen on the fit of them. The rear ones are fine...
Dead simple to fit, take 2 screws for the arch liners out, fit the flap, then put the screws back in. It's the fronts I'm not keen on, they leave a bit of a gap at the rear of the flap, which looks like it could collect mud and leaves in, which won't be good.
So it looks like I won't be putting the flaps on.
Re: Mudflaps. Yes I wasn’t convinced by the front flaps on the torque alliance website. Rear ones probably most important to keep the back clean though?
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

MotMot wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:04 pm Re: Mudflaps. Yes I wasn’t convinced by the front flaps on the torque alliance website. Rear ones probably most important to keep the back clean though?
See, I was more bothered about having front mudflaps, to reduce any stones kicking up on to the side of the car, whereas at the rear it doesn't matter so much.

Not keen on just having the rears on, so they shall be sitting in the garage, or I might try getting in touch with Torque Alliance and letting them know about the poor fit.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Had a really quick response from Torque Alliance, via email.

I explained the problem, and that I wasn't happy with the fit, sent a reply with a picture to show them, and am waiting on them getting back to me again.

Will see what they say.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Got a key cover, as I really think the piano back finish won't last long with all of the other keys on my key chain!

A really good fit, very snug, so much that I struggled to get it on!

Hopefully it'll. Protect the key and make it a bit easier to grip.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

That looks pretty good. Ebay / Amazon ?
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Utumno wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:58 pm That looks pretty good. Ebay / Amazon ?
Amazon, simply because I wanted it straight away, I probably would have ordered from aliexpress and it'd cost next to nothing, but I would have had to wait a few weeks.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Had a little run out to the shops this morning, and I thought the consumption was pretty good...

🤣... Okay, it might have been downhill on the way there. Thought I'd have a look at the full journey, so this is returning to the same starting point, so had to come back up hill...
Pretty decent, a mix of 30,40 and 60, single carriageways, gentle acceleration, but at the speed limit most of the time.

First impressions having had the car a few days... Very impressed! 👍

What I like so far...
- Seems well planted, obviously a heavy car, but doesn't feel heavy when driving.
- I don't understand the 'low quality' perception that people had following the release of the car, everything seems well screwed together, solid door closing sound, and everything you have to touch seems fine.
- nice chunky feeling wheel.
- loving the range, having come from a Leaf 24kWh.
- voice control has worked pretty well for most things I've tried out.
- I like the way the car increases the regen as your coming up to a roundabout or junction, even in D.

What I'm not sure about...
- the boot seems small! Seems smaller than my old Leaf, although the shape is more 'usable' I think.
- does it need alloys? ... I think it would help improve the looks, but I'm still okay with the steels and trims... So far.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

After a couple of emails to send better pictures of the fit of the mud flaps, just got a message back from Torque Alliance apologising for the inconvenience and offering a refund.

So for me, a good company to deal with, there's a fault with their product, they've been in touch to sort it, and have offered a solution.

They sent through a picture of a set that they'd fitted, without any gap, so are assuming that there's been a fault during manufacture. They've asked me to check the other side to see if it's the same fault, or if the other side is okay.

So to sum up, I'm happy with the boot liner, and happy with the resolution to the problem with the mud flaps. I'd deal with them again.
davyk31

Post by davyk31 »

Why not buy a set of the VW front flaps to go alongside your Torque Alliance rears if you are happy with them? The VW ones are dear but a perfect fit and available separately as front and rears.
Id3rpc

Post by Id3rpc »

Blackeunos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:57 am Had a little run out to the shops this morning, and I thought the consumption was pretty good...

🤣... Okay, it might have been downhill on the way there. Thought I'd have a look at the full journey, so this is returning to the same starting point, so had to come back up hill...
Pretty decent, a mix of 30,40 and 60, single carriageways, gentle acceleration, but at the speed limit most of the time.

First impressions having had the car a few days... Very impressed! 👍

What I like so far...
- Seems well planted, obviously a heavy car, but doesn't feel heavy when driving.
- I don't understand the 'low quality' perception that people had following the release of the car, everything seems well screwed together, solid door closing sound, and everything you have to touch seems fine.
- nice chunky feeling wheel.
- loving the range, having come from a Leaf 24kWh.
- voice control has worked pretty well for most things I've tried out.
- I like the way the car increases the regen as your coming up to a roundabout or junction, even in D.

What I'm not sure about...
- the boot seems small! Seems smaller than my old Leaf, although the shape is more 'usable' I think.
- does it need alloys? ... I think it would help improve the looks, but I'm still okay with the steels and trims... So far.
I completely agree with your sentiments regarding quality.

We currently have an e golf that will go back when the id3 we are in the process of ordering appears.

Having driven one on a test drive a few days ago, we were genuinely surprised by the “perceived quality” of the dash, the seats and the general build quality.

Sure some of the plastics are a little scratchy in places, but ultimately, this is at the lower end of the ev spectrum.

We drove a pro performance 150kw life, and whilst the initial punch from the motor was decent, it didn’t feel as fast as we had expected, but then I guess that’s not what you buy it for.

Good to see you are getting healthy efficiency from the motor. I’ve read a few horror stories where people are struggling to get over 2.8m/kwh from a 110kw 🤷🏻‍♂️