Keyless entry id3 security

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

My ID.3 on order will be keyless. My current car, a SEAT Ateca xcellence lux, is also keyless. I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch which blocks signals. You can buy them on Amazon.

Newfie

Post by Newfie »

tomstring wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:34 pm My ID.3 on order will be keyless. My current car, a SEAT Ateca xcellence lux, is also keyless. I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch which blocks signals. You can buy them on Amazon.
Can you disable the keyless when you lock your Ateca so that you must use the key fob to unlock it as it will not open without using the unlock on the fob.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I don’t know sorry. Only problem I had was in the winter when we couldn’t get back into the car after a walk in the snow because the battery in the fob had gone flat (car was new May 2019). With the help of somebody else dismantled part of the door handle to use the key in the barrel and hold the fob against the steering wheel column. Nightmare! Got home with some of the assist functions disabled, changed the battery, everything ok.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

tomstring wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:45 pm I don’t know sorry. Only problem I had was in the winter when we couldn’t get back into the car after a walk in the snow because the battery in the fob had gone flat (car was new May 2019). With the help of somebody else dismantled part of the door handle to use the key in the barrel and hold the fob against the steering wheel column. Nightmare! Got home with some of the assist functions disabled, changed the battery, everything ok.
I only asked as it is a function you can do on the Tiguan and gives a little more security when it comes to keyless vehicle theft.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

tomstring wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:34 pm My ID.3 on order will be keyless. My current car, a SEAT Ateca xcellence lux, is also keyless. I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch which blocks signals. You can buy them on Amazon.

Your SEAT uses rolling radio codes for keyless entry. Your ID.3 does not, it uses UWB which is a completely different technology.

There are definitely cases for putting UWB keys in pouches (to prevent the car detecting the key proximity where vehicle and key are very close to each other for example!) but radio theft security is not one of them.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Ok thanks everyone.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

This discussion is for keyless entry. Can anyone comment on the security of the standard remote locking, where you push a button on the key to unlock. How much of the above discussion applies to this technology? Can the signal be captured when the button is pressed?
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.