please recommend me a charger

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
korky

Post by korky »

thanks all for replies,
i think i may opt for the cheaper granny charger to start, and something that will be handy to keep in the boot, slower but should be fine for my needs and saves me £400ish on the wall charger, plenty of supermarket chargers nearby too
finally got confirmation of car order today too, estimated late jan! i was hoping to have it for xmas

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Tell us how it goes. In my experience supermarkets have max stay times (1.5 hours aldi, 2 hours tesco, etx,) and 3amp charging, in which time you will probably only charge 10-20 miles

Rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
korky

Post by korky »

tried 1 of my local tescos, it has 7kw charging (pod point) and noticed 2 across road from which says 22kw but not sure if that's free (new motion)
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Free supermarket chargers are provided for customers to use while they're in the store - ask Tesco or look on their corporate website.

Having a proper charge point at home is the simplest approach to running an EV, and if you can charge off-peak it's the cheapest way too, giving you 12% of the 58kWh battery every hour.

Rapid chargers can be used if you're away from home.

Granny chargers are really an "if all else fails" in my opinion.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

colonelpurple wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:13 pm Tell us how it goes. In my experience supermarkets have max stay times (1.5 hours aldi, 2 hours tesco, etx,) and 3amp charging, in which time you will probably only charge 10-20 miles

Rgds
That's what I told Pod Point that those 7Kw AC chargers are pointless as most people might be in the shop for about 1 hour not really putting lot's a electrons in a BEV

22Kw AC chargers should be better IMHO
SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Some supermarkets have no waiting time restrictions. When visiting family down on the edge of the New Forest, there was a Tesco there (Applemore) that had no time restrictions (signage stipulated not abusing the disabled/parent & child spaces and to park within the spaces, only EVs in the charging spots). It was open 0800-0000, so I got a full charge there overnight. I wouldn't like to rely on it every day rather than use a charger at home though.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
van

Post by van »

To echo another contributor, suck it and see with the supermarket charging first. I would consider this but the only one anywhere close to me is a 15 min drive and there are just two chargers. Wouldn't want to rely on those. Plus we have a 5.7kw pv system and in due course, if it ever gets built, a Tesla power wall, so my criteria for wanting a home charger differ.

Hopefully you will rarely need a 29h charge on a granny but imagine what could happen to your electrics to have the equivalent of a kettle boiling away for hours on end.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I’m with the proper charge point at home approach if you’re able to have one, stress free and convenient and cheaper in the long run (assuming you can’t use free chargers all the time!). See free chargers as a bonus if you come across them and rapid chargers as a necessity on journeys.

We haven’t spreadsheeted it, but compared to ICE, even on our low to moderate mileage we don’t need to. We filled the petrol car every couple of weeks at £40-50 a pop, so £80-£100 a month. We’re typically charging the ID.3 once or twice weekly at £1-2 a session (Octopus Go Faster), so roughly £10 a month. Paid £549 for Pod Point, £129 for 10m cable, should be paid for in 7-8 months (without the EV tariff multiply that by 3). Even if we’ve got rose tinted glasses on in terms of how much the petrol was and charging is costing or our mileage has changed, it will still be inside a year. The gov grant of £350 on the charger may not last forever!

Edit: We got a granny charger, only used it once (before pod point install) so that’s another £150 to add to upfront cost I suppose, wouldn’t have bought it with the benefit of hindsight.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

bitmanEV wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:28 am

Not much better. ID3 maxes out at 11kWh on AC.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd only use a granny charger if I couldn't get a proper home charger it's a stop gap for most. Charging at around 10 miles per hour, more likely to be pulling most of that at full 15-18p per kWh rather than 5p per kWh on Octopus GO.

You start doing 2 or 3 x 4 hour charges at £5 a pop instead of £1.50 a pop (with Octopus Go) and that 7.4kWh charger starts to pay for itself in under a year, as well as being massively more convenient.

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I would say get a wall charger if you can. Cost of wall charger pretty insignificant compared to cost of car and will be on your wall for a decade at least I would think. much better for using with overnights tariffs as well. We used granny charger for a few weeks while waiting for wall box install and since the wall box was installed it has made life much easier. Granny charger okay for doing what it is designed for - charging while away from home and 'proper' charger.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
van

Post by van »

Like many others on the factory waiting list I'm in no rush to get a charger fitted. However, there will be an Autumn statement in November (?) and it wouldn't surprise me if the grant is cut or removed. Perhaps I'll not wait after all (8-0)
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:18 am

Disagree with that as indeed an ID.3, i3 or M3 (and others) do max 11kW on AC but a 22kW post will charge a single phase vehicle to max 7.4kW or 3.6kW (depending on the onboard AC charger)

16A - 3 phase AC
3 x 3.6kW = 11kW

32A - 3 phase AC
3 x 7.4kW = 22kW

Also a Zoe will charge on the full 22kW AC!

So with a charge post only on 11kW a single phase 7.4 vehicle will only charge at max of the 16A / 3.6kW

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:26 am I'd only use a granny charger if I couldn't get a proper home charger it's a stop gap for most. Charging at around 10 miles per hour, more likely to be pulling most of that at full 15-18p per kWh rather than 5p per kWh on Octopus GO.

You start doing 2 or 3 x 4 hour charges at £5 a pop instead of £1.50 a pop (with Octopus Go) and that 7.4kWh charger starts to pay for itself in under a year, as well as being massively more convenient.

Spot on.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

bitmanEV wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:05 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:18 am

Disagree with that as indeed an ID.3, i3 or M3 (and others) do max 11kW on AC but a 22kW post will charge a single phase vehicle to max 7.4kW or 3.6kW (depending on the onboard AC charger)

16A - 3 phase AC
3 x 3.6kW = 11kW

32A - 3 phase AC
3 x 7.4kW = 22kW

Also a Zoe will charge on the full 22kW AC!

So with a charge post only on 11kW a single phase 7.4 vehicle will only charge at max of the 16A / 3.6kW

I may have misunderstood, but all ID.3's have in effect a 3ph/16A inverter and a 1ph/32A inverter, so will happily draw 7kW from a single phase supply and 11kW from a 3 phase supply. 3ph/32A (22kW) is dead as a dodo for every vehicle except the Zoe, and the Zoe is dead as a dodo in 2023 anyway to be replaced by the new R5. Which I would predict will not have 22kW AC charging.

Way I read it is that DC won and only Zoe owners really care because they don't have DC charging capability.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

We've an 11kw/h at home, solar panels and a granny.

During the day we run the granny trickle because it's entirely free.

If we need the distance the following day then we plug in at midnight to charge to 80%. The Elli charger is garbage,, so no timing, the "location" is set to 80%, but deletes usually every other week so we just set max charge to 80%.

Our overnight rate is 7c/kWh, quite the bargain for Spain.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

Good luck with the ID.3 on a 11kW AC 3 phase charger... It will only charge at max of 3.6kW (like the ID.3 45kWh); that's my point

Glad my local councillor got it right and install lots of 22kW AC charger all over the borough this guarantees that single phase BEV with max 7.4kW can indeed charge at 7.4kW

anyway enough said

Deleted User 314

bitmanEV wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:57 am Good luck with the ID.3 on a 11kW AC 3 phase charger... It will only charge at max of 3.6kW (like the ID.3 45kWh); that's my point

Glad my local councillor got it right and install lots of 22kW AC charger all over the borough this guarantees that single phase BEV with max 7.4kW can indeed charge at 7.4kW

anyway enough said
That is incorrect. We get 11kW on ours, I posted the graphs somewhere demonstrating it.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

bitmanEV wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:57 am Good luck with the ID.3 on a 11kW AC 3 phase charger... It will only charge at max of 3.6kW (like the ID.3 45kWh); that's my point

anyway enough said

The ID.3 has both a 1ph and a 3ph inverter, including the 45kWh version. It will charge on a 3ph/32A (22kW) charger at 11kW and on a 1ph/32A (7.4kW) charger at 7.4kW. Thus you're wrong about the ID.3's 3ph AC charging capabilities.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 314

Found it:

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 11.27.33.png