Seat covers suitable for dog

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
simpsod1

Post by simpsod1 »

Hi All
I'll hopefully be getting my Family Pro Performance early to mid November.
Both our current cars have leather seats which coupled with a mat on the seats makes transportation of our dog stress free and easy to clean.
Are there any fellow dog owners on that can recommend a set of covers?
I've seen these - https://seatcovers.co.uk/collections/volkswagen-id-3 but I'd be happy to take any advice
Cheers in advance

Chivers

Post by Chivers »

Hi simpsod1

If you look carefully at the pictures on the internet you see the seat covers in the picture cannot fit an ID3 as there is only a single cover for the back seat backrest, and there is no cutout for the front seat arm rests. And please ask yourself if their price looks right for the quality and durability you are looking for. I think a German man speaking English on Youtube [search for "Battery Life"] has some arrangement for his dog, and I think he mentions the dog cover in one of his videos.

I thought our light grey seat material looked fragile and esay to stain. I wasted a lot of time looking on the internet for a set of seat covers for an ID3 that lets me fold down part of the back seat. No luck, except for one country in Italy who wanted you to take your car to their factory so they could recover [?re-cover?] the seats. I even phoned a company in the former East Germany who will make a tailor-made cover for almost any car, eg my 1983 VW Golf, and they said it is a very difficult car and they are not offering it. For the time being we are using inexpensive stretch covers from Lidl or Aldi.

Sooner or later someone will produce what we need. All advice welcome from me too...
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Can't help there, my dog travels in the boot,... there isn't a seat cover on earth that would protect the seats from her after a day on the hills.

In fact requiring a hatchback for dog transport was the main factor in buying the ID.3 ultimately.
simpsod1

Post by simpsod1 »

Chivers wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm Hi simpsod1

If you look carefully at the pictures on the internet you see the seat covers in the picture cannot fit an ID3 as there is only a single cover for the back seat backrest, and there is no cutout for the front seat arm rests. And please ask yourself if their price looks right for the quality and durability you are looking for. I think a German man speaking English on Youtube [search for "Battery Life"] has some arrangement for his dog, and I think he mentions the dog cover in one of his videos.

I thought our light grey seat material looked fragile and esay to stain. I wasted a lot of time looking on the internet for a set of seat covers for an ID3 that lets me fold down part of the back seat. No luck, except for one country in Italy who wanted you to take your car to their factory so they could recover [?re-cover?] the seats. I even phoned a company in the former East Germany who will make a tailor-made cover for almost any car, eg my 1983 VW Golf, and they said it is a very difficult car and they are not offering it. For the time being we are using inexpensive stretch covers from Lidl or Aldi.

Sooner or later someone will produce what we need. All advice welcome from me too...
Thanks Chivers
Tbh I was thinking of getting them and only using the rear cover.
I might actually just look for some cheap stretchy covers for the rear only as you have mentioned from Aldi or lidl
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

The "Ultimate Speed" universal seat covers I bought at Lidl in April are now only on ebay:
Have a look at what I bought:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143913453309 [red accents] or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143913452349 [blue accents]
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265153528175 [blue accents]
NB grey accents no longer available.

IMHO what's good about these is:
Cheap
Big enough, but not sloppy. Very stretchy polyester knitted fabric.
Not horrible-looking.
You can unzip them to let you put the left-hand half of the back seat down.
Fitted zips give a neat fitting to front seatbacks without cutting.

IMHO what's less good is:
Thin material, but what do you expect at the price?
A bit of a struggle to fit them really neatly. Scissors [and courage] may be needed.
Not enough elastic straps to keep the seat covers where you want them. But you could add more, of course.
I have not yet thought of a way to expose the seat belt latches on the rear seat. I think I will need to do a bit of cutting and sewing.
Definitely not dog-proof.

My voice of sad experience says:
1. Look at all the information in the instructions carefully - twice.
2. You might think it impossible to remove the front head rests, but there is a way. You need to research it as I cannot explain it. There is a hidden button. Maybe someone else can advise.

Overall:
Cheap for the price. Should keep my seats clean until someone makes a specific fit for the ID.3. I bought two, in case I messed up the first attempt to fit them. I'd spend the same money on them again, but I cannot promise they are right for your needs.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .