Home chargers with public use

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Are there any home chargers that would allow a member of the public to pay to use it at a rate determined by the owner?

The cost basis to include the electricity used and the time the car is on the driveway (i.e. using a parking place)?
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

We’ve the over priced Elli charger and it seems to have the potential for that option/concept, rfid scanning etc but the software hasn’t been updated for a huge amount of time.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’m not sure about automatically, but I have my home charger listed on Zap-Map, PlugShare, Just Park, and Co Charger, and I’ve not had a single enquiry. There seems to be no demand for this type of service, certainly not in my area.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Most people probably wonder what the hell it's all about, to roll up on the drive of a private residence and ask to use their home equipment. How much can anyone realistically charge for a 7.4kWh charge? They'd be there ages, which could give you the opportunity to sell them a few Flavia/Nespresso cuppas for £3 a pop and a bag of crisps for 90p. Time to give up the day job?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

There do seem to be home/domestic charger points on zap map. Not sure if people are offering free for ideological purposes or they charge. Never tried one …
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I think the idea of the public using your charger was that on nights that you didn’t need to charge then they could, so they would have to be local to you.
You could canvas the area and see if anyone is thinking of an EV and suggest sharing your charger, it may tip the balance for them to go get an Ev
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Warminster id wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:50 am I think the idea of the public using your charger was that on nights that you didn’t need to charge then they could, so they would have to be local to you.
You could canvas the area and see if anyone is thinking of an EV and suggest sharing your charger, it may tip the balance for them to go get an Ev

That's the whole premise of Co Charger: https://co-charger.com/
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I did tell one of the Amazon delivery drivers he could use mine if he was stuck again. Apparently they only get about 90 miles out of their Electric vans.
Lester

Post by Lester »

As Scott mentions, the Co Charger App looks interesting. I live in a small development of 9 houses and only 2 of them have suitable places for an external charger. A few of my neighbours would like to move to an EV but worry about the difficulty of home charging, so I might consider something like Co Charger if it helps. The thing I like about it, is that the cost goes through a 3rd party. Co Charger would sell electricity to my neighbour and then pay me for how much was used. They'd take a cut of course, but it's not me having to ask a neighbour for money.

There are only 2 public charging points in my town and very little scope for adding more. If as a nation we're serious about EVs then some sort of sharing system has to be part of the mix.