Auto release charging cable

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Hi again (yet another question)
Is it good etiquette to set this to on? Thinking specifically about public charger use.
Thanks

Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

I do not use auto release as if you were using a untethered charger the cable could be stollen.
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Idmania3 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:20 pm I do not use auto release as if you were using a untethered charger the cable could be stollen.
Good call. You can tell I’m on a learning curve!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

As above, don't auto unlock. The cable will stay locked on the car end, but the charger end will be unlocked, so someone could unplug and charge their own if you overstayed the time taken to charge.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I always put auto release ON

Firstly when I charge at home, I want the cable detached for safety (it won't connect again until reinserted). This is detached for electrical purposes and in case someone drives the car forgetting its attached - no names!!)

Secondly, in the unlikely event I don't move the car after the charging ends for public chargers, it lets other folk transfer a tethered charger cable to their car .

In terms of stealing the cable. I have never heard this happen in reality, and not worried on my driveway anyway....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

colonelpurple wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm I always put auto release ON

Firstly when I charge at home, I want the cable detached for safety (it won't connect again until reinserted). This is detached for electrical purposes and in case someone drives the car forgetting its attached - no names!!)

Secondly, in the unlikely event I don't move the car after the charging ends for public chargers, it lets other folk transfer a tethered charger cable to their car .

In terms of stealing the cable. I have never heard this happen in reality, and not worried on my driveway anyway....
I thought the car wouldn’t move if the charging cable was still attached?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:09 pm
colonelpurple wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 pm I always put auto release ON

I thought the car wouldn’t move if the charging cable was still attached?
The car won't move when plugged in, by design.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565